Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Campanella Mandolin

Default Re: Campanella Mandolin

As a fiddler and affocianado of fine violins (though all of mine are aren't "fine") I've had my eye on Campanella for a while! If I were a man of means, I would order a matching pair, one of his violins and an A-5. #dreams

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Well, Mary, that A440 now lives with your former Trillium mandola. It's becoming clear, one of us has to move farther away from TME!

Hoping our paths cross. In fact I wonder if I did meet you a few years ago at March Mandolin Madness, introduced as a friend of Jonathan Leonard? -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

I remember Jonathan. Perhaps we did meet then. Nice to know the Campanella found a good home.

I was hoping that the music school would continue with the mandolin festival, but it's not looking likely.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Jul-24-2022 at 2:04pm.

Paul Wheeler

As fast as that, the F5 is gone from The Music Emporium. I shouldn't have paused to tie my shoes. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Impressive that they fly off the shelves… I love mine and, thanks to Mary’s advisory service for convincing me it was a good thing to do. Just playing it the other day and loving its unique voice.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Paul Wheeler

Actually, and fortunately for me, I wouldn't have been in the market for this one . . . I have a 2011 F5 which Joe custom-made for me with a one-piece back made of very special aged Vermont maple, and an Englemann spruce top which he had personally cut when he was working with Lawrence Smart in Idaho. It was my good fortune to know Joe from places in Burlington like the Radio Bean. -- Paul

Paul, was the maple from your F5 from Sherburne Farms?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by twaaang View Post
    Actually, and fortunately for me, I wouldn't have been in the market for this one . . . I have a 2011 F5 which Joe custom-made for me with a one-piece back made of very special aged Vermont maple, and an Englemann spruce top which he had personally cut when he was working with Lawrence Smart in Idaho. It was my good fortune to know Joe from places in Burlington like the Radio Bean. -- Paul
    Paul, post a photo of that lovely machine...

Paul Wheeler

Yes, Mary, Joe had found a stock of maple stored for umpty-years at Shelburne Farms. At the time, his advertising featured a single-piece-backed A mandolin which came from the same board he later used for mine. He was working from his shop on Steele Street, by the Burlington Waterfront (he has since moved his operations back to the near North End and builds from his house).

BTW, the SN on my F5 is only four away from that on the A440. Littermates!

Sometime earlier he had a Guest Artist slot at a gallery (renovated firehouse) on Church Street, with a theme of the problem of maximizing sound quality as instrument sizes increase, versus various constraints; the first time I recall playing one of his instruments, I believe side-by-each with my L&H Style B which I was leaving with him for measurements (the Campanella won, though I never envisioned ever being an owner). As a violin-maker as well, Joe was a student of the famous Italian luthiers, And as we know, he seems to have captured the best in understanding and technique.

Demetrius, you challenge me to emerge from the 20th century. I'll give it a shot later today. -- Paul
    Last edited by twaaang; Jul-26-2022 at 12:38pm. Reason: afterthought

Paul, I played a 2011 two-point made from that maple at the March Mandolin Festival one year. It was sold, but Joe let me play it. The back was just gorgeous, and quite unique.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I sold #100 F-5 from TMW. I can't stop thinking about it. Loud? No. Clear like a bell... Yes! Should of kept it...
    It's not an addiction... It's an investment.
    Gil #794
    Preston Thompson 2-15
    Martin D-18VS

Paul Wheeler

Here goes . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BF3FCE0F-2149-4D26-85DD-35AE703001D8.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	957.1 KB 
ID:	202326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1E211AB-4709-49F3-8071-0FFAA6CBF0C8.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	831.7 KB 
ID:	202327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D0040F6B-DD46-45A5-96EB-86072D07C3B5.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	910.4 KB 
ID:	202325  

Paul Wheeler

Let's control the light a little better . . . though I don't see how to rotate them as intended.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B3BB647C-8E4C-4108-BB76-B79ACFE64AA9.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	574.9 KB 
ID:	202330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AD74CFD1-720E-421F-A87F-2430BED68117.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	547.7 KB 
ID:	202329  

After a 100-mile bike ride, dehydrated, exhausted and in too much of a hurry to bother tuning up...with Joe, trying out some of his artwork:
    https://www.facebook.com/579518443/v...3490018118444/

He had two instruments identical for me to try--except one was X-braced and the other with tone bars. Might have been from different planets, it was remarkable. A gentleman, an artist and an innovator.

I kept my two-point, but am wedded to my new Heiden, at least for now. But I took a hard look at that F5....thank god someone removed temptation.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Jul-31-2022 at 12:06pm.

I went down Wednesday to play the F5 at TME after it became available again. So much for avoiding temptation.

And it's gone...congratulations!
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    And it's gone...congratulations!
    Thanks, Don. It’s quite different than anything I own. It’s a nice offset to the Girouard G5, and the Heidens. I’m kind of in a period of mandolin nirvana now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Thanks, Don. It’s quite different than anything I own. It’s a nice offset to the Girouard G5, and the Heidens. I’m kind of in a period of mandolin nirvana now.
    I hope those Heidens don't get too lonely...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I hope those Heidens don't get too lonely...
    Nah, there's time enough for all the mandolins to get played. It's not tax time, and working from home has its advantages.

Nah, there's time enough for all the mandolins to get played. It's not tax time, and working from home has its advantages.
    Congratulations, Mary! Cornering that Campanella market. Need a mandocello methinks!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Congratulations, Mary! Cornering that Campanella market. Need a mandocello methinks!
    No, Jim. I think the Toole octave covers that territory. I think I’m done for a while.

I think I’m done for a while.
    The key words in this statement are "for a while."
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    The key words in this statement are "for a while."
    Ain't it the truth.

Paul Wheeler

Mary, I'm laughing! In deference to your July 31 posting, I deliberately refrained from mentioning the return of that F5 when it reappeared. I should have known you scan the TME listings even more often than I do. Happy for you! -- Paul