Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Fever

Default Upgrade Fever

I have been bitten by the Mandolin bug; practicing and working on music every day has brought me great satisfaction. I am quite happy with my customized (upgraded tuners, cast tailpiece and pro setup) Ibanez 700AVS but that has only made me more susceptible to Upgrade Fever.

So, once again I submit my question to the collective wisdom of the Forum:

I want to go to the "next" level with a better instrument. So if I upgrade to a F-style Mandolin within the $1-2000 range, what would you recommend and why would you choose that model? The most important thing to me is improvement in tone and I realize that is a function of my playing but in comparing some Eastmans to my Ibanez, it seems they have a more "complete" tone - if that make any sense. Thank you in advance our your help!

Default Re: Upgrade Fever

Skip the scroll. Go for an A model. Especially in your price range. I expect others will tell you the same.

3. The following members say thank you to Mike Buesseler for this post:

I actually tried several A models but preferred the opulence of the F model. I guess I'm strange that way. Is there a difference you find between the A and F?

I’m on the “A” train as well. I own several A’s, an F and a two-point and I think they’re all beautiful and all sound great in their own way.

In that price range, although I own two Eastmans and they’re nice, I’d skip past the Eastman in favor of a Morris or other small builder, or hang out in the classifieds for a used mandolin that fits your budget.

Also you’ll want to decide whether to try an oval or stick with f holes. I’ve gone to the oval side because I prefer sustain to chop but your mileage may vary.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

One looks way cooler but also cost 50% more. My mandolin instructor calls the scroll “The Doubler.”
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

IMO the best F body mandolin under $2k is the Eastman 515, either the v or the CC. $1500.

Spend the extra budget on a Tone-Gard, arm rest, Lakota Leather braided strap, and Blue Chip CT55 pick with your name engraved on it.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf Czerny View Post
    I actually tried several A models but preferred the opulence of the F model. I guess I'm strange that way. Is there a difference you find between the A and F?
    I don't prefer to have extra pieces hanging on susceptible to breakage and I do not like that point many Fs have that jabs me in the leg when I play sitting. Additionally I think of myself as being frugal and like to get the most bang for my dollar. But to each his own!
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

11. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I am a fan of and own mostly F, but I've played plenty of A models that leave some of my F's humbled. Granted they were Ellis and Monteleone and Collings. A used Collings or Northfield is probably worth consideration. If you can find a nice Weber, you might be able to get one under 2K. There a lot of great builders out there, Pava, Pomeroy, Black, and so on. I have to say I keep going back to my 1920 Gibson F4, the tone is just so sweet, but they generally are in the 5-6k range.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    That's what I was thinking. They sure seem nice for the price. If I had some $$ burning a hole in my pocket ....
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

A used northfield A model would be your best bet for around $2k. They are great mandolins for the price.

Blog Entries

I don't believe in "next" level instruments. I don't believe in the hierarchy. Every mandolin (with the possible exception the first one) should be the very best you can possibly afford, with the intention of keeping it forever. Don't proceed incrementally.

I have many reasons for this, but recent events in my family have driven home the sage words of my brother, "If you are buying a small boat in the hopes that down the line you plan to get a big boat, get the big boat. Down the line may never get here."
    Last edited by JeffD; Oct-27-2023 at 10:49am.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Or maybe your "next" instrument is just something fairly low value that you want to mess around with because it's interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oldies but Goodies.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	210170

I submit that "Upgrade Fever" may be just one variant of MAS.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Oct-27-2023 at 10:41am. Reason: .. Another thought
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Skip the scroll. Go for an A model. Especially in your price range.
    These are wise words - you should heed them.

1. Tone and playability are far more important than bling and fancy doo-dads.

2. I doubt that there are music stores with a lot of mandolins hanging on the wall in your part of the country. No worries, most of the mandolins I have purchased in the last 20 + years have been via the web.

So, as stated above, a used Northfield A-style probably makes the most sense for you. That should be plenty of mandolin.

Kirk

19. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post:

This might be worth a phone call - not in the classifieds, but probably a reasonable price, and it includes a case.

Used Kentucky KM-950 (A-style) on Reverb

You would need to understand return policy with the seller when buying anything used.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

21. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I've definitely noticed those mandolins before, and been curious about them. And it's likely they're a good value... but that thread about his mandolins is weird.

I don't think there's any other way to put it... so many comments on it from people who have only one post on the site, and a bunch more from people that have very few.

Having very few posts doesn't necessarily mean that somebody doesn't know what they're talking about. And, in fact, having so many folks seemingly sign up for an account just to chime in with positive comments is perhaps a testament to how good the work is.

But, it's striking... and seems a bit odd.
    '91 Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A / Eastman MD-315

The KM-950 is indeed an excellent instrument and the price would allow purchase of a tone-guard, arm rest, and a BlueChip should you choose per the good recommendation listed above.

If you want an F- Style instrument though, get an F. I have a nice Collings A, and a Gibson F and I find the F body shape to be more comfortable to play. This is obviously highly personal, but I like resting the point on my thigh while playing seated and while standing it just hangs “better”. The strap on the scroll is more stable. Don’t get me wrong, I love my A style Collings but even if its just because you like the look of the F style, then you should think about an F style!

The biggest thing is to take in to account is your TONE PREFERENCE.

Instruments like the Kentucky line of mandolins have a very dry tone and Eastman leans more towards a modern tone. (All subjective terms,) so listen to what tone you prefer and move in that direction.

And yes, once again, you’ll get a much finer A style for the price, but if you want a F style, that’s ok too. 🙂

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9lbShellhamer For This Useful Post:

I picked up a used Eastman 515 locally for $800. It’s a great mandolin, I really like the way it plays and feels. I have a really great Newson that I usually play but I’ve been impressed by the 515 for the money. I’d go that route if I was in your shoes.

26. The following members say thank you to Aaron Pomerantz for this post:

I also second (or third) the Eastman 515 suggestion.

All hand built, all solid woods, and great finishes.

A-models are unquestionably a better value, but if the F-model is going to spark joy and bring you more inspiration to play, then that is definitely the model to get.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mando Esq For This Useful Post:

If you want an F style, would suggest looking for a used Kentucky KM-1000 or 1050. While I like the Eastman models, Kentucky also makes professional level instruments especially in the 9xx and 1xxx series. (Then again, I know one pro who uses a KM-150 and gets a very good tone out of it).

Then again, if you want to buy new, then the Eastman MD-515 either in varnish or the limited edition model (with upgraded woods) would be my first choice.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It’s given me lots of good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf Czerny View Post
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It’s given me lots of good ideas.
    Hi Ralf. If you're still in the market, we have one of our TW-F5 mandolins available. Normally we only build instruments by pre-order but we have finally caught up with our order list and there's one left. They are priced at $1950. Feel free to check out our website and let us know if you have any questions. Or if you ever get to Colorado, you can set an appointment to try one out. Best of luck in your search! Enjoy!

Name:	Tailwater-TW-F5-Mandolin-2729x5120-1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	556.5 KB 
ID:	210317

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwater Instruments View Post
    Hi Ralf. If you're still in the market, we have one of our TW-F5 mandolins available. Normally we only build instruments by pre-order but we have finally caught up with our order list and there's one left. They are priced at $1950. Feel free to check out our website and let us know if you have any questions. Or if you ever get to Colorado, you can set an appointment to try one out. Best of luck in your search! Enjoy!

Name:	Tailwater-TW-F5-Mandolin-2729x5120-1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	556.5 KB 
ID:	210317
    Wow that is a great deal and one I will certainly consider. Since I am an avid fisherman, your logo, etc is my favorite of all the Mando's I've seen. Would you be willing to trade for firearms? (If that is not allowed please delete)

33. The following members say thank you to Ralf Czerny for this post:

Also I like your website but I suggest you have many more pictures, content etc. I could help you with that if you are interested.

35. The following members say thank you to Ralf Czerny for this post:

That Tailwayer is really nice looking! I had a Kentucky KM-1000, one of their “Master Models,” that I sold for $1,500 and wish I still had. It was the best sounding instrument in the $2k price range I have played yet. Like the others above mentioned, that would leave budget room for a tone guard and great pick. I like ToneSlabs - the 1.3 green one sounds best on my primary mandolin, and it is a good bit brighter and louder sounding than my BlueChips, but I do like the BCs on others a lot. Primetones are awesome for a $3 pick, if you haven’t tried them. I’m in the buy once, cry once camp. I think that if you want an F, you won’t be happy with an A, no matter how many times you tell yourself you got more tone for the money. That is my experience anyway. I have an A and a couple of Fs and strongly prefer the feel and aesthetics of the Fs. Everyone has different tastes, and that’s great. My belief is that you should honor yours when you can. The people who are critical of others for spending more for aesthetics have never made sense to me. Not that looks should be the first or only criteria, but appearance is a perfectly valid consideration. Who wants an instrument or anything else of which they don’t like the look?

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TX2AK For This Useful Post: