Thread: Elixir Mediums vs. D'Addario Mediums?

Default Elixir Mediums vs. D'Addario Mediums?

I realize this may be completely subjective, but thought I'd ask anyway. I have used D'Addario medium strings on my Collings MT, but decided to try a set of Elixirs. I haven't put the Elixirs on yet, but was wondering if anyone had gone this route and could give me a feel for what the difference might be. Is one brighter, louder or longer lasting than the other? Is there a difference in another area? I'm trying to see if the difference in price is going to be worth it. I realize I may just have to put them on and decide for myself. I would be grateful for anyone's experience with the Elixirs.
    Daniel Kaufman

Default Re: Elixir Mediums vs. D'Addario Mediums?

I tried the D’Addario EXP74s and Elixir mediums back to back on my MT and preferred the Elixirs. They felt better under my fingers (i.e. a bit easier to play, less stiff) but sounded about the same, if not just a bit brighter than the D’Addarios. Both great products.

I used to use Elixir on my electric and acoustic guitars. Never thought about them for mandolin. I may have to try them!

I prefer the Elixir strings. They just have a better sound on my mandolin. BUT, all mandolins are a bit different, so string 'em up and decide for yourself!

I did go Elixir for a while on mandolin, they are very bright when new, are highly responsive and hold up a while, my only dislike on Elixir is when they start to "go" they go fast ( I tend to play "hard" out on stage) . The D'addario I think are generally less bright and perhaps a bit quieter, but they do hold up quite a bit longer than Elixir.
    Recently I went with Curt Mangan's on Mandolin and Octave and really like them, they are less bright than Elixir but equally loud with good sustain, the tone is solid and balanced, and they hold up well.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Interesting...I’ve always found the Elixirs (which I think are nickel/bronze) as a little darker and quieter than the D’Addairio phosphor/bronze strings. For a brighter mandolin (like my Eastman 315) the Elixirs may provide a nice balance. Elixirs sound broken in from the start and last a long time. I tend to prefer D’Addairio phosphor bronze (or monels) on my mandolins, but play the Elixir P/B strings with the newer coating exclusively on guitar. I haven’t used Elixirs in a while on mando, so if they’re doing P/B now, I may revisit them...

Can’t hurt to try them. If you hate them you’ll be out a few bucks, but no reason you can’t change them out after a week or so if needed. Give it a week or so, though, to get used to the feel before you pass judgement...
    Chuck

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

V70416 

===========

For my 2-cents - the decision is based on whether or not you like the sound of 'new strings'. I have some instruments that sound better when the strings are new, and others that sound better after the strings have mellowed out for a day or two. It has been my experience that the Elixir strings sound 'new' for a long time, so I will use Elixir's on the instruments that need the new sound, and D'addario's on the others.

The D'addario's lose tone pretty quickly and oxidize. I do like the louder, clearer tone of new strings, so I would probably like the Elixirs, which is why I liked them on guitar.

The only Elixirs I've used have been coated mediums, which I use in the summer. fwiw, i tried D'Addario's coated mediums this summer. I didn't like them, so i'll go back to elixirs for the summer. For winter, though, I prefer the D'Addarios. I just think they sound better on my mandolin.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisfiddler View Post
    The D'addario's lose tone pretty quickly and oxidize. I do like the louder, clearer tone of new strings, so I would probably like the Elixirs, which is why I liked them on guitar.
    Not sure which specific sets if Daddario mediums you are referring to that lose tone quickly and oxidize. If you generally like PB strings,don't like oxidation,and want nice tone try one of the XT mando sets. I feel the same about Daddario Monel strings as far as not oxidizing,great tone,and lasting.

No recent experience with Elixir strings.

I am talking about the D'Addario EXP74 medium. Of course, this is under my hands and in humid summertime conditions.

Has anyone used the Elixir mediums on a Kentucky KM-1000? That is what I am looking to use them on.

14. The following members say thank you to illinoisfiddler for this post:

I've only used Elixir strings on my acoustic guitar and really like them. However, not putting 2 and 2 together I mistakenly started using a string cleaner on a second set. Bad move as it caused the coating to come off and had to replace them well before necessary.

Well I just put the Elixir Mediums on my MT, and I'm sold! They sound wonderful right away, bright. clear. I've been using J 75s for years, but if the Elixir last I'll be changing.
    Daniel Kaufman

Cool. I'm planning on getting some for my KM-1000. I have a set of J74s that I might put on now, as the ones on there are old, but then I will order some Elixirs.

Finally got the Elixirs on, and so far I am liking them. Seems a little easier playing than the EJ74s.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I recently bought a few sets of Elixirs to use, will try them when I run out of EXP74CMs. I’ve seen several threads here where people like the Elixirs so now I’ll have to try them and decide whether they’ll work for me. Probably get to them next year ...
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Used Elixirs several years ago, I liked them well enough, but didn't like when they started losing the coating. It would start to flake on the string like fuzzes. Wasn't worn out for sound, but was annoying. Went to silk and bronze, then back to phosphor bronze, now pure nickle. I am loving the pure nickel, great sound for my mandolin and they last with no deterioration in sound for a long time. Unlike phosphor bronze that changes weekly.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have used Elixirs and liked them, better than EJ74's. For wat ever reason they feel easier to play even though they are the same gage. They lasted a long time. As Pops mentioned the coating will eventually start to wear off, but it was a long time for me and a indicator that it was time to change strings. At a pro player mentioned that he did not like them because the G string seemed soft or wimpy. since I am not a pro it never bothered me.

Southeast Vermont - take your pick of snow or ticks

Mapes. Great strings. The Tennessee company makes OEM strings for Steinway, Bösendorfer and lots of other high end instrument makers. Their mandolin strings are the best I’ve ever used. They sound great and last a weirdly long time. They have some kind of secret coating that they jokingly refer to as Tennessee moonshine. Best of all, no extra charge or time for custom gauge sets. And to top it off, they’re the cheapest. I love my Mapes. Recently got my mando back from a fret job with Pearsons in and had to change them the same day.