Thread: And Now for Something Completely Different. Gong Master Sven (NMC

Default And Now for Something Completely Different. Gong Master Sven (NMC

I know this is not mandolin related but it is amazing. Something I never would have imagined. What do you tell your kid when they say they want to be a Gong Master when they grow up?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Default Re: And Now for Something Completely Different. Gong Master Sven

So cool..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I loved playing the gong in high school band.
    1989/2019 Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer F5
    1945 Levin 330
    192? Bruno (Oscar Schmidt) banjo-mandolin
    early Eastwood Mandostang
    2005 Tacoma CB-10 acoustic bass guitar
    Fender Tweed Deluxe clone

That really is something. He should have his own show. He could call it (you can see this one coming. . .) The Gong Show.

Actually, I found the sound entrancing and would love to hear more from this cool instrument. I imagine the metal is very very thin. It would be fun to have one of these to play around with, but I'll be they cost a small fortune.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

I feel exactly like this with my new Tibetan Singing Bowl. Now I need a big gong over my bed. GAS! He's good. Some of those tones remind me of the Shining.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

There're good reasons why we find this compelling; gongs emit a frequency spectrum beyond any "conventional" musical instrument, ergo their efficacy in therapeutics. Sound, frequency/vibration, is a burgeoning field of study and practice in therapeutics.

I nearly obtained a large gong several years ago when I was researching various modalities (my large wire harp has similar efficacy in therapeutic context) - still want one. Here's a great doc on some of this work with special needs children https://youtu.be/136t8-fi2ks

*oops I meant to say that my lrg wire harp has similar effect, for I doubt that anything has quite the efficacy of gong.

And Bob, they are quite heavy - not particularly thin - and hand hammered, so they are indeed quite expensive … the last part of my percussion kits I let go of were my vintage Turkish cymbals, which I wanted to keep forever.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Oct-30-2019 at 11:26am.

8. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

I've prbly posted this here before, but anyway.. Gerry Hemingway

https://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/...waycymbal.html

I've had one for several years. Same make and model as in the video, but the more "standard" 32" orchestra size. I've played larger and smaller ones, but not the 80". Use of the gong is a very ancient meditation technique. The better ones, such as the brand in the video, produce frequencies and volumes that our ears can easily hear but which cannot be effectively recorded by even the best microphones. They tend to "confuse" a microphone (I don't know how else to describe it.) In the video, you are hearing maybe 1/10 of the sound that the gong is producing. Definitely something amazing to experience in person. FWIW the 32" model costs about the same as a mid-range mandolin.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

11. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post: