Thread: Colortone nitrocellulose lacquer

Default Colortone nitrocellulose lacquer

I was wondering if anyone knew who actually makes this. It looks like the Colortone factory is in California. Could they really allow nitro to be made in Cal. I'm sure it could cause cancer lol.
    Have any of you a
    had good results with this lacquer? Thanks

Default Re: Colortone nitrocellulose lacquer

Pretty sure it's Behlens. At least it used to be. I just sprayed a guitar with it. Didn't flow as well as Cardinal, or Seagrave, but did build and level nicely in the end. Whatever you do, don't get the aerosol can version. Stuff won't spray without spitting no matter what you do.

Did the burst with their rattle cans. Hoped to do it all with rattle cans this time so I could spray outside and not tie up my shop. Ended up buying a can of clear to do the topcoats with my shop spray system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	324.8 KB 
ID:	180949

sliebers, Glad to know there were no hitches. What do you seal with? I've always used shellac, but not knowing where the colortone originates I bought some vinyl sealer as well. Love the burst too. I usually stain the wood. I've only done one " in the finish " burst. It took 4 tries lol. It did finally turn out nice. It was a single O guitar. Love the little body guitars. Thanks again.

Thanks David. I didn't use any sealer. The color was mixed in the lacquer. I pore-filled the mahogany back and sides with a water base grain filler. I've not had good luck with vinyl sealer in the past, so I don't use it. I think it was due to operator error, but it scared me off from it.

This was my first "in the finish" burst. I've always stained the wood directly too. That's when I would use a shellac seal coat, but as we both know now, that can get you into trouble. I think the vinyl sealer would be the best bet? Let me know how that works out.

I love small body guitars too. This is an L-OO Gibson style. My first attempt at anything Gibson. I've always done Martin inspired builds.