Thread: String tension puzzler

Default String tension puzzler

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1755.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	716.0 KB 
ID:	211651
    I have three tenor guitars. All I built myself. A week ago or so I decided to try octave mandolin tuning on the KayKraft style guitar. It sounded good. So yesterday I decided to do the same to the harp guitar. (All three are 23 inch scale) So searched through my string collection and started to restring the harp guitar with the same gauge as the KayKraft. I used a .020 phosphor bronze for the A string. It works just fine on the KayKraft but snapped at G# on the harp guitar. So I put a .017 plain on. It works but I like the tone of the wound string better. Just can’t figure why it was fine on one guitar and not on the other.
    Dave Schneider

2. The following members say thank you to PT66 for this post:

Default Re: String tension puzzler

Some strings are just defective. I've had strings snap on the first tune up. It's not common, but it happens, and seems to perhaps happen more often with old strings that have been on hand for a long time. Corrosion can happen and weaken the core. I would try another .020 wound string and see what happens. I keep my opened strings in a Tupperware sort of container, which has lots of silica gel packets in it, to try to prevent corrosion in the high humidity which is usual here. All sorts of things come with silica gel included, and I don't throw them away, I keep them and use them in my string containers. I probably already have more than necessary, but they're free, so why not keep them.

4. The following members say thank you to sgosnell for this post:

fox 

Default Re: String tension puzzler

I ordered more .020 wound strings on line. Local music store moved across the river into Iowa.
    Dave Schneider