Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fender Tenor Tele - First Impressions

Default Re: Fender Tenor Tele - First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    Update: 5 pounds 7 ounces.
    That's 3 pounds shy of the legal definition of "Telecaster"

Thanks for the review, great demo. Looking forward to getting one when the next batch comes in.

Hmmm. Maybe my taste is in my mouth, as my favorite ash tele's have all been at or under 7 pounds, with one 8 pound exception. And swamp ash's popping tone tickles my ears much more than the hard sound of heavy ash. I doubt that Fender would be able to produce light weight ash guitars for a reasonable price, so maybe that's part of why they went with alder, whose medium weight seems to sound quite good in the demo in this smaller 4 string. So 5 lbs 7 ounces is thrilling!!

I need some help understanding the legal tele definition idea. Whatcha got?

It was just a joke. The 2 Teles I've owned were both just under 9 lbs, but admittedly they were Squiers (Classic Vibes). It was the only thing I didn't like about them. 5 1/2 pounds seems amazing, though they're obviously smaller.

Okay, i was wondering what i was missing out on. There was once a MIJ Squier tele in the house; not as good a guitar as its Strat counterpart and with the weight on the heavier side of medium with basswood body was uninspiring. You might like a lighter weight Tele or G&L ASAT.

Hello Baron,
    I agree about the break angle problem on the first string. On mine the high E has a changy chorus kind of tone when open because of the lack of a string tree.

I think staggered tuners like the ones that come on the E. Johnson strats might be the solution. I put a set of staggered post Sperzel locking tuners on my wish list, which I'm hoping will improve the problem and will be a direct fit replacement - no drilling.
    https://reverb.com/item/38807-sperze...-locking-tuner

About the grounding and buzz - I had great success on a project guitar by replacing the pickup wire with shielded wire, covering the bottom and sides of the pickups with copper tape and building a shielding box out of copper tape around the jack plug.

A full year later (after the limited release), and a friend of mine found a brand new butterscotch Tenor Tele sitting on the floor of the Sam Ash store in Houston yesterday. I just got off the phone, and they're shipping it to me in Colorado for free. Score! (And I didn't have to pay an eBay premium AND pay to have it shipped from Japan.)

I also ordered a set of Fender locking tuners (which are shorter than the standard ones), and that should resolve the break angle on the head stock for the top 2 strings (without having to install a string tree).
    Last edited by wololoco; Dec-10-2020 at 6:36pm. Reason: Additional information

7. The following members say thank you to wololoco for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    Cheapish gig bag that also comes with the mini strat. Nothing to write home about but does the job. I hope I can find a better solution down the road.
    Did you end up upgrading the case? What did you go with?
    Tenor Guitars: ARTIST TG100EQ (CGDA), Fender Tenor Tele (GDAE).
    Mandolin: LM-220.
    Others: Seagull M4 "Merlin"(DAdd), Ashton BNJ50 Banjo, Epiphone MB-100 Banjo.