Thread: Stripped screw on case

Default Stripped screw on case

My mandolin case wouldn't close properly because the hinge had broken. I tried to unscrew the hinge to sort it out. I didn't have a screw driver that was an exact match at the time. Now I've stripped the screw and its stuck.
    Any ideas how I can remove the screw without damaging the case please?

Default Re: Stripped screw on case

generally with that problem it requires drilling the screw and using an extractor, not as easy on a very small screw, possibly you could use a small drop of epoxy glue some thing like a screw driver to it, but I never tried it and you would probably lucky to get it to work. I guess the other would be grind the whole piece off and replace it . sorry not much help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane1 View Post
    My mandolin case wouldn't close properly because the hinge had broken. I tried to unscrew the hinge to sort it out. I didn't have a screw driver that was an exact match at the time. Now I've stripped the screw and its stuck.
    Pictures really help.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

If screw head is raised so you can get some "bite" on it, I generally use a small pair of vice-grip pliers. Clamp down squarely on the head and lock the pliers. Get a good tight grip before trying to unscrew it. If it slips tighten the vice-grips slightly and reapply. Sometimes it is good to reapply at the same spot so the screw head flattens a bit for traction. Sometimes it is better to try a new spot. I have been known to take the vice-grips to the bench grinder to adjust the tip for the situation.

That is what I do for general mechanical work - it might apply here as well.

Jim

5. The following members say thank you to jim19 for this post:

Zane1 

Have you tried using a thick rubber band to get more friction? There are loads of tips on this link: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...ed+Screw/13213

7. The following members say thank you to Harry123 for this post:

Zane1 

+1 on the vice grips.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

If you have dremel tool with a cutting disk, you can cut a new slot into the head and extract it with a flat head screw driver -- if there is enough of the head left.
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    If you have dremel tool with a cutting disk, you can cut a new slot into the head and extract it with a flat head screw driver -- if there is enough of the head left.
    You can also use a hack saw, depending on the access and how far the screw is turned out.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'll note that you could also use a sledge hammer or a reciprocating saw but it might help if you could actually see the screw that the OP is talking about.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

EZ-Out Screw Extractor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_extractor

"A screw extractor is a tool for removing broken or seized screws. There are two types: one has a spiral flute structure, commonly called an easy out after the trademarked name EZ-Out"

Available at most hardware stores.

As a person who spent most of his youth working on old rusty cars.......there is nothing "easy" about an EZ-Out. They are only used as a last resort. It is a miracle when they work, IMHO. But, sometimes you get lucky.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    As a person who spent most of his youth working on old rusty cars.......there is nothing "easy" about an EZ-Out. They are only used as a last resort. It is a miracle when they work, IMHO. But, sometimes you get lucky.....
    +1 on this. My experience with them is mainly on farm equipment, but mirrors Jeff's exactly.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

16. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Zane1 

Assuming the case is wood! Another approach would be to just drill the whole screw out. That would allow you to fill the hole with a toothpick or small dowel. Then you could drill a new hole and install a fresh screw.

18. The following members say thank you to Pablo Bosticio for this post:

Zane1 

Hi Pablo, yes its wood. I tried the simpler techniques in the video but I ended up cutting across the screw head to make a slot for a flat headed screwdriver. I damaged the screw hole so I'll have to fill it with a dowel and drill fresh holes like you said. I'm wanting to get black hinges to match the case. Maybe glass filled stand off hinges and black screws. They claim to support heavy duty applications, so I figured they would be more durable and long lasting?

You might want to check out Reliable Hardware for hinges and matching black screws. They are made in the USA and are really good quality.

Thanks for the recommendation but I'd prefer a UK supplier to get them faster to be honest. What is the difference between glass filled hinges like these: https://www.accu.co.uk/en/stand-off-...GSF-64-64-N-BL and regular square nylon hinges? Does 'glass fibre reinforced' mean that they are stronger than plain plastic versions?

Adrian Minarovic

Thanks for the recommendation but I'd prefer a UK supplier to get them faster to be honest. What is the difference between glass filled hinges like these: https://www.accu.co.uk/en/stand-off-...GSF-64-64-N-BL and regular square nylon hinges? Does 'glass fibre reinforced' mean that they are stronger than plain plastic versions?
    That means there are fibrglass fibers in the plastic making it stronger. Often used in plastic kitchenware (IKEA or such) you can see it marked as >PA-GF< or >PE-GF< or something like that.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    That means there are fibrglass fibers in the plastic making it stronger. Often used in plastic kitchenware (IKEA or such) you can see it marked as >PA-GF< or >PE-GF< or something like that.
    Thanks HoGo!