Thread: Orpheum Mandolin circa 1930s?

Question Orpheum Mandolin circa 1930s?

My late grandfather left me his Orpheum mandolin. I've been told it was made sometime in the 1930s, though I'm not sure exactly when, or of the model. I've tried finding out information on the value, or of the instrument itself, but haven't had any luck. Hoping someone could help me out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73381357_603655173507602_2299868872913715200_o.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	181651

Blog Entries

Default Re: Orpheum Mandolin circa 1930s?

I'd say late 30's-40's and worth maybe 400 bucks or so? You can get these regularly on evilbay "ebay" I like it, these all have nice tone!

It does sound rather nice, although it's very tough to play. I may get the strings changed and see if that improves the situation, though. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Check your neck with a straightedge "ruler" to see if its straight? Put it on the fretboard by the nut and in the middle to see if there are any deep gaps? If all is fine your bridge may need adjusted and Id say give her to someone who knows mandolins to set it up proper! If all is fine it should be a fine mandolin as I personally love all these old pre-war mandolins no matter what make/brand! Where are you located at so myself or someone can point you to a good luthier-fixer-upper!

Orpheum and Stradolins were built by the same people.
    I have had lots of both.
    They vary in quality from full laminated to laminated back and sides with a solid spruce top to some very rare ones that were all solid wood.
    I only found one of the full solid woods one once and it sounded great but unfortunately the top had sunk really bad and the dealer wanted way too much for it.
    Most of them have poplar necks.
    I found it is remarkable how much they sound alike. Stradolins have a consistant "Stradolin tone" in my experience.
    Your opinion may differ.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atetone For This Useful Post:

This is a Strad-O-Lin genre mandolin. I've owned two that were branded Orpheum but not all Orpheum branded mandolins were made by the company that made this one. Can you post a picture of the tuners from the back of the headstock? That can actually help date the instrument.

Post some pictures in the Strad-O-Lin Social Group here on the cafe. You might see a few more like this one.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber