Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sebastian de Grebber, Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra

Default Re: Sebastian de Grebber, Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra

Hello Eugene - I have printed it out and shall digest it shortly. Thank you very much.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Tim, I understand what you are saying about the CMSA convention music. The en masse orchestra music can seem daunting and the level of playing has certainly risen over the years. You are the best judge of your abilities but I know that many attendees work hard to get as many of the notes as they can. Plus you can usually find someone there who is willing to work on the music with you.

Since CMSA next year will be on the other side of the country from you, you might want to consider attending Marilynn Mair's excellent AMGuSS camp in June in Rhode Island. I've never been able to go but I know lots of people who have attended and love it. I see on last year's registration form that they ask you about your playing level and even offer to supply simplified orchestra parts if desired. I've met most of the staff over the years and they are all first rate players and teachers. Plus if you go to AMGuSS and find it beneficial it might encourage to go to CMSA in the fall too. (I realize that not everyone can afford to attend even one, let alone two, of these events.)

3. The following members say thank you to John Goodin for this post:

As for CMSA and John's comments above: The two CMSA conventions I have attended have been very inspiring and friendly events. I would not worry too much abut the level of your playing. If nothing else you will be encouraged to play and work on your music more. The EnMasse Orchestra is a trip in itself. And I would bet there are more than few small mistakes that some players make but the overall effect is amazing. I don't know if he is still doing it but Jim Bates was the conductor and he is amazing at his literal crowd control (IIRC around 100 plectrum-playing enthusiasts), plus he make it fun. A great experience, in any case.

Yes, I wish I had the resources to travel across the country but maybe sometime when they again have CMSA nearer to me, I will again attend.

BTW Tim, I don't recall if you are currently taking classical lessons online or in person or if you play with any other folks. I don't know if there are any mandolin groups in western Massachusetts. I seem to recall that Adam Sweet was trying to organize something a few years back.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I am taking the ArtistWorks course with Caterina Lichtenburg and am immensely impressed with the video exchange concept, her methodical curriculum, and her teaching skills. She is very skilled at analyzing your efforts and making truly useful suggestions. Making the student videos is highly motivating and gradually eliminates shyness. I cannot say enough about this program.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I wanted to add that, not only is Sebastian a phenomenal player and performer, he is also a wonderfully down to earth and nice human being. We were thrilled to talk to him at CMSA this year. Truly a wonderful PERSON as well as musician. LOVE Het Consort too!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

8. The following members say thank you to violmando for this post:

Eugene -
    I’ve read through your Big Mandolin Reference Sheet. Outstanding and concise source of information - I mean, really great! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    When I was seeking inspiration regarding my dive into mandolin's classical repertoire, one recorded expression of virtuosity that mesmerized me was Gertrud Tröster's (now Weyhofen) Romantic Mandolin of Raffaele Calace: 10 Preludes. It's worthy of a listen.

I like John's reference to Neil Gladd. Neil's compositions are some of my favorite contemporary works, especially his second sonata (which I don't believe has ever been recorded, unfortunately). (I like John's compositions too.)

I've shared before (and it's a little outdated), but this little introductory document that I compiled to tempt classical guitarists with mandolins when I occasionally lecture might be of interest, Tim.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

10. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Eugene 

It really needs an update. So much has happened since: e.g., Graham McDonald's big book.

. . . And much less easily found and bought, but I suspect you'd like Sebastiaan's album Fantasia Romantica as well.

I was particularly fascinated by the section on 18th c stringing using brass and gut. As a result I found the thread “historical strings” and have printed out a long article found there on this topic. Unfortunately, in a few moments I will be leaving for an all day teaching session - but in the meantime, are you aware of any recordings using a gut E with brass a, d, and g? I see an “octave g” mentioned but not yet clear what that means! Thank you. Cheers!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

This album uses historic stringing as prescribed by some mid-1700s method books: https://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Fort...ZA8/ref=sr_1_2

The g course is in two octaves to brighten tone: silver-wound silk (like a classical guitar string and a little too thumpy in context) the g below the treble staff and bright-voiced brass wire on the g' low on the staff's lines.

15. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Coincidentally, it looks like the record company's parent company has uploaded the whole of the above-referenced album to YouTube, albeit not necessarily sequentially. The octave g'-g course is perhap most evident in Beethoven's "Sonatine in C Major for Mandolin and Fortepiano, WoO 44a."

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...sofronitzki%22

17. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Sebastiaan has recently uploaded a few very pointed tutorials. Maybe he's open to student?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqjbCOenqY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xsB1JWR-1j4&t=210s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Fj2XTE3Pw&t=237s

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lowtone2 For This Useful Post:

Excellent videos - thank you for locating them!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

21. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Sebastiaan has recently uploaded a few very pointed tutorials.
    These were initially (and exclusively at that time) released as part of the Classical Mandolin Society of America's virtual conference this fall. It was good fun, a good and easily accessible event.

23. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Thanx for these valuable posts. & further kudos to Sebastian as a player, teacher, & a person. At the 2019 CMSA, I attended his workshops, thoughtful, well prepared, & useful. Also, a couple of us got to hang & goof with him a bit. Always fun to joke around with a world class Mandolin player.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post: