Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sebastian de Grebber, Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra

Default Sebastian de Grebber, Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra

There is an extremely high chance that I am the least knowledgeable person in this forum and am about to post about a performer and a group that everyone but me already knows about. HOWEVER, if there is the very slightest chance that I might be sharing something new, well, then I have done a good deed indeed for my fellow newbies.

Here is a link to Sebastian de Grebber on YouTube. From there it is a short jump to the Dutch Chamber Orchestra. Just really, REALLY outstanding music and musicianship. If, like me, you are just beginning a classical journey, you too will be enthralled with his many on line performances. Wow!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oqDnaHHbt7U

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Default Re: Sebastian de Grebber, Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra

Being fairly ignorant of the world of classical mandolin players, after I posted the above, I was surfing the Cafe more and began to realize that most everyone on the classical forum is aware of Sebastian de Grebber except me - so what I really should post is: can folks recommend other performers of classical mandolin that are not as well known as the more familiar names such as Avi Avital? Thank you. I am amazed at the level of expertise and accomplishment these threads reveal. There are some really amazing people on here!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

You mention only Avi Avital as a well known performer, so I don't know what other classical mandolin players you already know.

Three performers of J.S.Bach:

-Caterina Lichtenberg picking her Seiffert model made by Alfred Woll with a Wolle pick:

-Marissa Carol playing a Lyon and Healy mandolin:

-Jacob Reuven playing the same prelude a tad faster on his Kerman mandolin:

4. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Thank you! Yes, I know them, and Chris Thile and Alon Ariel and Allison Stephens. Outside of them I get the impression there are a lot of lesser known performers like Sebastian de Grebber that I may not know about. Some of them are probably part of this forum!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Hi Tim,

Another few names for your list, off the top of my head:

Chris Acquavella
    Detlef Tewes
    Carlo Aonzo
    Ralf Leenen
    Gertrud Weyhofen
    Patrick Vaillant
    Ugo Orlandi
    Ralf Leenen
    Frances Taylor

No doubt, I have forgotten lots of wonderful players, but this should give you a start.

Martin

7. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Oh that’s terrific Martin! Thank you so much - I will start exploring these new names right away! I really appreciate your help.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

And these two fine Russian players:
    Elena Zabavskaya and Ekaterina Mochalova:

A young German talent:
    Anna Bagger:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfeg...Pbl9RQ&index=4

Another fine Dutch mandolinist:
    Ferdinand Binnendijk:

Jeanette Mozos del Campo:

10. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Well, anything I could say about these recordings, these performers, would be totally inadequate. Wow. Thank you as all for sharing these with me!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Hi Tim,

Another few names for your list, off the top of my head:

Chris Acquavella
    Detlef Tewes
    Carlo Aonzo
    Ralf Leenen
    Gertrud Weyhofen
    Patrick Vaillant
    Ugo Orlandi
    Ralf Leenen
    Frances Taylor

No doubt, I have forgotten lots of wonderful players, but this should give you a start.

Martin
    Yes, Martin, you must like Ralf Leenen, since you listed him twice, unless you are referring to his twin, also called Ralf Leenen.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, Martin, you must like Ralf Leenen, since you listed him twice, unless you are referring to his twin, also called Ralf Leenen.
    Yes, I noticed that slightly too late -- "off the top of my head", as I said, typing as they sprang to mind. Clearly, Ralf sprang to mind twice. Must be because of the Embergher connection with Sebastiaan and the thread title.

Martin

I'll add the recently deceased Alison Stephens to the list of performers to seek. I was quite fond of her solo recording, "Con Espressione"; her early effort, "Music for Mandolin"; mandolin–harp duos on "Tapestry"; and her late recording of the Calace concerti. Orlandi (referenced above) often plays with the Orchestra di Mandolini e Chitarre "Citta di Brescia" and affiliated Quintetto a Plettro "R Calace." Dorina Frati is active and excellent and has a pretty extensive discography. I quite like Nunzio Reina's recordings, including with the Motus Quartet. Also seek the recordings of Duo Zigiotti–Merlante. I quite like the couple available recordings of Richard Walz as well, especially the one to feature early Neapolitan mandolin. Duilio Galfetti's early-music performances are also worth seeking as are Ensemble Baschenis'. Etc. ad infinitum.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Tim: many moons ago the classical section of these forums was very active with many of those artists actually posting here. I had played in a classical-oriented mandolin orchestra in New York but I learned quite a bit about the mandolin in classical music right here. Many of those folks have moved on in one way or another but this was a great educational experience for me and others with some excellent discussions on various music, types of mandolin, players, etc. What was especially exciting was to communicate with people from around the world who play classical mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It’s so wonderful that newcomers like me have such resources and that people are so willing to share. This is a fantastic forum. Gosh, imagine if someone were to put all the info and experience here in a book, well, it would be pretty unbelievable me thinks!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Tim: all the conversations are still available to read here if you have the time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Yes, I’m chipping away at it! Thank you.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Cheers, Tim, welcome, and that's a lovely L&H A ya gots there.

Thanks Eugene - I absolutely cherish the L&H!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I scored a 1922 A in January. Cheers!

25. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Something confuses me about the discovery of all of the performers mentioned here and it relates to popularity. I will use Chris Thile and Sebastion de Grebber as examples. I have listened over and over again to de Grebber’s La Voce de Mandolino and Thile’s Bach Partitas. Both recordings are thoroughly mesmerizing leaving me jaw dropped, awe struck and blissful. To me they are an almost unbelievable and marvelously hopeful demonstration of that side of mankind which is truly worthwhile. Ooops, I digress. Many people, non-mandolinists, are likely to know Thile. I suspect de Grebber is known only to a small circle of vary focused individuals with a love of mandolins. I certainly could be wrong about that. Yet, expertise wise, I listen to de Grebber and wonder “could Thile do that?” - are these musicians of similar caliber? Was Thile in the “right place at the right time?” Does Thile’s constant creativity and flexibility (just watch a few weeks of Live From Here) put him in a league apart from de Grebber? How do you see these two? Are they completely different “types” of musicians? This is of course not an “essential” question, nor a “contest” - it’s simply me being curious about the world of professional musicians. Thank you in advance for any thoughts and for reading this ramble.

In part, maybe, maybe yes. Thile's natural musicality in improvisation—and even composition—is sophisticated like little I've experienced elsewhere. However, I've never heard Thile execute anything like the substance of a duo-style passage in a Calace prelude. In part, "classical" music in a modern age, especially in the U.S., is destined for a semi-obscure niche market unless the market dramatically metamorphoses.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Hello Eugene -
    Thank you. Sebastian de Grebber simply blows me away and I’m actually amazed that any human being is capable of that kind of playing. What I really love though is that, to me at least (Joe uneducated average), he comes across as very musical. Not saying this well - I mean I hear it as wonderfully expressive, emotion stirring music first and secondarily as virtuosic. Both his skill and the music he plays on his cd are new to me. My suspicion, in relation to other mandolinists like Thile, was exactly as you just described. Your answer increases my appreciation of both performers!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I haven't seen anyone mention Neil Gladd. His name also should be included on your list. http://neilgladd.com/
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Craton For This Useful Post:

Tim, it's great to hear from someone diving into this deep pool of great mandolin music. I just want to put in a plug for the Classical Mandolin Society of America. On the CMSA website, as a non-member, you can find programs from previous annual conventions. This year, for instance, Sebastian de Grebber was one of our guest artists.

As a member of CMSA you are able to access video and audio recordings from the conventions as well. Most CMSA members are regular mandolin players who love the instrument and its use in many styles.

Over the last nearly 30 years I have had the amazing experience of hearing, meeting, attending workshops and hanging out with many of the greatest classical players alive. Including many of the names already mentioned here.

If at all possible I would recommend that you consider joining CMSA and attending a convention or two. Mandolin players in general are some of the nicest musicians around and CMSA members are especially friendly.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

Hi John -
    I am a beginning student, a hobbyist. I have often looked at CMSA literature and read through the convention descriptions. To be embarrassingly blunt, based on the EnMasse music and workshops, I have felt the average attendee’s abilities are probably way beyond my meager neophyte abilities! My intellectual curiosity far exceeds any skill set. Perhaps another year of practice and I will get braver. By the way I love your Telemann for Mandolin book. I cannot even believe I have the opportunity to correspond with you on this thread!!!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

35. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

When I was seeking inspiration regarding my dive into mandolin's classical repertoire, one recorded expression of virtuosity that mesmerized me was Gertrud Tröster's (now Weyhofen) Romantic Mandolin of Raffaele Calace: 10 Preludes. It's worthy of a listen.

I like John's reference to Neil Gladd. Neil's compositions are some of my favorite contemporary works, especially his second sonata (which I don't believe has ever been recorded, unfortunately). (I like John's compositions too.)

I've shared before (and it's a little outdated), but this little introductory document that I compiled to tempt classical guitarists with mandolins when I occasionally lecture might be of interest, Tim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mandoreference.pdf  

37. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post: