Thread: This Martin O-15T sounds great

Default This Martin O-15T sounds great

She says it’s tuned in fifths but I think it is an open tuning.

2. The following members say thank you to Cornfield for this post:

Default Re: This Martin O-15T sounds great

Love that open sound. Probably Bb F, rather than Bb F# as stated in the clip. Not sure what the rest of the tuning is but I will have to explore later today. Sounds a bit like the intro to Waterbound. I love open tunings on 6 stings, but have explored very little in popular 4 string open tunings like GDAD or CGDG. So much fun messin around in CGAD that I haven't got around to it. It is a really nice sounding tenor.

Scott

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Very sure that's Bb F Bb F
    I really ought to play my 0-18t more... Am hoping to get a tg50 or ETG150 in the new year - not least because I'll be 50!
    Only just thought of that...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Yeah, that's not 5ths but it does sound good. She's a sweetheart with a great stage presence.

I've read the Blueridges are knock-offs of the Martin, albeit not in mahogany. Would be interesting to hear an A/B to see how close they are to each other.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

She ended up buying it - from her Facebook:

"I have always had this rule when it comes to buying instruments: it has to speak to me. About two months ago, I did an episode of #PetrilliPicks with this lonely little 1960 0-15T Tenor Martin Guitar at Norman's Rare Guitars. I never played one before, and was always curious about them. When I picked this one up, I knew it was special. It’s like my hands knew how to play it. I play a lot of guitars, but this one stuck with me. I kept thinking about it. So last Saturday, I went to Norm’s to shoot another episode, and there it was, back in its corner. Taking this as a sign, with a little help from Eric Fortaleza and Jen 😜, I bought it...and I’m so glad I did. HUGE thank you to Norm for selling me my first vintage guitar!!!! Guess #TenorTuesday should be a thing now!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78916537_1191944934332852_8145567856692559872_n.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	182827

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Huck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    I've read the Blueridges are knock-offs of the Martin, albeit not in mahogany. Would be interesting to hear an A/B to see how close they are to each other.
    Different tastes, different ears, and variable conditions of vintage Martins notwithstanding, I don't think it's really a comparison. I've A/B'd both in a store and owned both at the same time. The BR's are great, but a much sturdier build. An old Martin that hasn't been compromised by neglect sounds a lot more alive.

None of that is a criticism of the Blueridge. Still a good guitar for the money, even after their spike in prices from a year or so ago.

9. The following members say thank you to Seonachan for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Blueridge make a six string model called the BR41, as far as I can tell it is exactly the same body as the 40T I wonder if both guitars use the same bracing?
    In any case it is not a difficult modification to re shape and lighten the bracing on the 40t, I did that to my own 40t.

Huck, you seem to be extending Christmas... what you going to buy Next?

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Huck, you seem to be extending Christmas... what you going to buy Next?
    The blue Fender was feeding my OCD. The Aria is a tenor guitar that I've longed after for a while.

The only other guitars that I want right now are a nice Martin tenor with a truss rod, and a Gibson electric tenor. Maybe now that Fender put out an electric tenor, Gibson will follow. We can only hope.

A fox custom SG copy with P90s wouldn't be bad.

Take care mate,
    Huck

12. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

fox