Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Useful Tip For Changing Strings

Default Re: Useful Tip For Changing Strings

Just changed my first mandolin strings on a friends mandolin. My friend had an old Suzuki (model 100) that I borrowed to get a feel for a flat, violin scale fretboard. While in my possession I decided to clean it up and change the strings. Never having done that before I came to the Cafe for a little guidance and found this post. I used the information posted by Sblock in post #4 to make it a relatively painless job even though I had to contend with a hinged tailpiece that required me to bend the strings to get the loops to attach. My friend just wants the mandolin as wall art so I didn't tune the strings all the way up to pitch but I'm happy with the way that everything turned out.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
    Yeah, I thought about using a capo. But I changed strings two days ago and thought the main problem was the roundness of the loop hole. So using the same needle nose pliers I cut the excess string length with, I carefully and slightly squeezed the loop in a bit before installing the string. None of them slipped off the hook after doing that.

Never seeing one up close, doesn't a James Tailpiece keep the loops on the hooks when changing strings? Seems like every mandolin should wear those.
    ...please explain what is meant by "using a capo" when changing strings,

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    ...please explain what is meant by "using a capo" when changing strings,
    Looks like the person you quoted has not been around in a couple years, so I'll hazard a guess that this is all about how folks keep the loops from slipping off the tailpiece posts on those designs where the string goes straight through, with no bend, friction or maybe hinged cover clamping to keep them from slipping off while the loose end is being wound on the tuner. A capo keeps some tension on the string between it and the tailpiece.

Me, I stick a pepita-sized dab of Blu-Tack/Fun-Tak/Blu-Stick kind of stuff on the post to hold the string there, removing it after the string is on.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

A question for the folks on this thread. Being an old mechanic, when I replace my stings I attempt to keep the tension even across the fret board. My pattern is to change the outside G string, then change the outboard E string and then change the inside G sting then the inboard E and so forth. Am I being silly in attempting to keep the tension even across the fretboard? Would appreciate your input.
    Jim in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Buddelje View Post
    A question for the folks on this thread. Being an old mechanic, when I replace my stings I attempt to keep the tension even across the fret board. My pattern is to change the outside G string, then change the outboard E string and then change the inside G sting then the inboard E and so forth. Am I being silly in attempting to keep the tension even across the fretboard? Would appreciate your input.
    Jim in Ohio
    If your instrument has a moveable bridge, then it is certainly a good idea to keep tension on to keep it from moving. For an instrument with a fixed bridge, that wouldn't be a problem.
    Other than that, I'm not sure it would make much difference. Please correct me if that's wrong.
    David A. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Buddelje View Post
    …. when I replace my stings I attempt to keep the tension even across the fret board. My pattern is to change the outside G string, then change the outboard E string and then change the inside G sting then the inboard E and so forth. …
    The string tensions are not so different that *which* single string is swapped is going to make a difference (IMO). So, if I’m only changing strings, I do them a course at a time, e.g., the G strings, then the Ds, etc. That way I only have one new pair unwound at a time laid out.

7. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Some great tips here tonight. Personally, I never change strings or even buy strings. Just buying a new mandolin every year seems to take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Some great tips here tonight. Personally, I never change strings or even buy strings. Just buying a new mandolin every year seems to take care of it.
    So what do you do with all of those old gnarly-stringed mandolins Matt? Curious minds want to know.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Those old strings are perfect for cleaning out the venturi on the carburetor on your lawn mower or snow blower. Enjoy!

I’ve been putting on strings using the hitch for many years, but recently started using the wrap-then-poke method and think it’s a better way.

Put on some new strings today, and only got stuck once! I probably need to get a tetanus booster.

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by "reverse lock method"?

Thanks
    Here's a popular YouTube video of RLM

In addition to "wrap & poke." Mind where the little hole (in the tuning post/peg) is oriented. It prevents one from ramming a string into one's thumb.

14. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post: