Thread: 2020 X-Series -- The new Sorensen AX

Default 2020 X-Series -- The new Sorensen AX

I just realized that I hadn't posted any information on the fourth member of the new "X-Series" mandolins -- the AX.
    Here are some pictures --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deep Front.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1,007.4 KB 
ID:	181950 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bass Front.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	985.6 KB 
ID:	181951 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Treble Front.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	181952

Name:	Full Back.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	181953 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glam Back.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	181954 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AX 83 Peg.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	709.0 KB 
ID:	181955

As with the other members of this group, the updated 2020 Sorensen AX features --

• A hand-tuned, "parallel" braced, salvage-harvested Alaskan Sitka Spruce top, paired with a highly figured Maple back and neck, produce woody powerful bass, syrupy rich mids, and chiming crisp trebles across the neck. Other top and back wood choices are always available.
    • The Sorensen Fusion Frame integrating all internal rim elements to unify, strengthen, and streamline the body structure.
    • Waverly or Rubner tuners for consistent, precise tuning.
    • Stainless Steel or Gold EVO frets polished to ball-bearing smoothness.
    • Handmade bone nut and Ebony bridge crafted for your preferred strings and string-spacing.
    • Rocklite composite Ebony fingerboards, headstock veneers, and pickguards deliver the beauty of Ebony while protecting our disappearing forests. Ebony components available on request.
    • Two-way truss rod provides easy neck adjustment and quick streamlined access.
    • Unique 3D-printed steel Sorensen tailpiece is a rock-solid anchor with no moving parts. The custom Sorensen X-style James tail piece is available as an option.
    • The Sorensen 3D Binding in Black/White/Black, and mother of pearl and abalone inlays on headstock and neck add beautiful, modern style.
    • French Polished shellac over oil Varnish gives lustrous protection from a time-honored traditional finish that you can hear and feel.
    • A Hoffee carbon fiber flight case gives maximum protection for every type of travel.

I've been picking on the first AX of the 2020 prototype X-Series set for the past several months, and am confident that it is hitting all the tone targets of its more scroll-ey and point-ey siblings. Looking forward to building more!!!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Sorensen; Dec-14-2019 at 8:35pm.
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 2020 X-Series -- The new Sorensen AX

Here's a video of Joey Lazio picking the rarely heard tune "Fred Digs Up a Hornet's Nest" on his Sorensen AX. I think this video gives a pretty good idea of the fullness and warmth that I'm shooting for on mids --

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    www.sorensenstrings.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

This is what I saw when I glanced over while picking the AX in my living room the other night --

Name:	Peg view.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	539.1 KB 
ID:	182021

Quite pleased with this one, indeed.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    www.sorensenstrings.com

I know I'm like a broken record, but I think you're selling your instruments short by continually showing bluegrass/trad clips that, in my humble opinion, don't really allow the tonal qualities of the instrument to shine through. However much I'm in danger of suffering the ire of the bluegrass police, I'd dearly love to hear a Sorensen in the hands of Isaac Eicher or Aaron Weinstein - and playing anything but bluegrass.

[And just to cover my back, if videos of such playing of Sorensens already exist - other than my favourite of two Sorensen two-pointers being put to work on a wonderful version of Minor Swing at a California event a couple or three years ago - please point me to them.]
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Dec-17-2019 at 3:20am.

Ron,

Your lips to the players' ears!

Unfortunately, in the US, as my mando mentor, Randy Torno, bluntly told me as I excitedly worked on a new mandocello design, "You're going from a player population of hundreds of thousands with guitars, to tens of thousands with mandolins, to tens . . . maybe less than ten."

Bluegrass and bluegrass adjacent players are still the driving force for mandolins here. But, I've found that one of the great delights of working with growing young players is that we have no idea where they'll go next --

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    www.sorensenstrings.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Steve,
    I’ve been following your designs/builds ever since I started the journey in mandolin (5 years so far), and love your forward thinking, amazing attention to detail and extremely high level of craftsmanship. I’m an inspiring jazz/blues mandolinist and glad there are builders such as yourself producing such works of art.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Blog Entries

I just want to say thanks for using Rocklite so extensively! I'm glad builders are thinking about sustainability and hopefully passing that along to consumers.

I just bought some Rocklite Sundari (faux-Indian Rosewood) bridge blanks for a fairly low-budget repair project and it seems great. I don't like to use finite, precious resources at my amateur level if a suitable replacement exists. It's good to see a master craftsman doing the same.

Here's one with some really nice AX mando work. Not classical . . . but definitely not bluegrass from Nu-Blu --

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    www.sorensenstrings.com