Thread: Gibson EM150 - General Questions

Default Gibson EM150 - General Questions

Short question: I have a Gibson EM150 that has been largely untouched for the 12 years I've owned it. I'm curious what, if any, serious care I should give it. I recognize there is a judgment call between "invest in the vintage instrument" versus "save your money and get a newer electric mandolin."

Background:
    I was given a Gibson EM150, serial number 92863, by a family member in 2007. The fellow who gave it to me said he got it at a pawn shop, but couldn't remember when or where. It had sat in his attic until he gave it to me. I had only recently been introduced to mandolin, so I was glad to have something to learn on. I had a local tech in Indianapolis make it playable for me - new strings; replace tuning pegs that were crumbling to almost nothing. I played it long enough to decide I didn't like the acoustic sound, so saved up for an Eastman MD505 that was later replaced by a Fylde Single Malt. The music minister at our church borrowed it for a while, and had a setup done circa 2012. That made it usable with the worship team (before that the electronics buzzed and there was strange stuff going on between the electronic knobs on the mandolin versus the sound control for the stage). It's largely been untouched since then. I enjoy playing the Fylde a whole lot more. Recently I started playing mandolin and hammered dulcimer with the worship team. The EM150 gets played because it sounds better plugged in than the Fylde does with a mic clipped below the bridge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4898.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	551.6 KB 
ID:	182064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4897.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	390.9 KB 
ID:	182065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pF406J5QSEq+3k2oTyLGmg.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	491.7 KB 
ID:	182068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vNNAcBGmQ3iKqgMO7jfOjg.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	414.6 KB 
ID:	182066
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fXTM%F0uSWytnapAfGzX7g.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	383.4 KB 
ID:	182067

The folks who recently changed the strings for me pointed out that the top is collapsing on the bass side. It may have been like this when I got the instrument - I'm not sure. I figure I'll take it to a local luthier and ask him to take a look at it. I'm curious for thoughts from Cafe folks - what other stuff should I ask him about that is sensible care? I'm also curious about the case that it came in. I prefer my Eastman gig bag from The Mandolin Store because the shoulder straps make it easier to manage the mandolin and dulcimer. Is the casevintage enough to have value if I ever decide to sell the mandolin? Finally, I gather from some of the Cafe threads that EM150s are decent electric instruments even with their age. Are there any mid-level electric instruments that would be noticeably better if I wanted to consider upgrading? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but I also enjoy saving for musical instruments more than spending it on recreational stuff like football games (12 years in Indiana and I could still care less about the Colts, although I don't tell my in-laws).
    Fylde Single Malt Mandolin
    Fylde Touchstone Octave Mandolin
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson EM150 - General Questions

The serial number on your EM-150 is consistent with a manufacture date of 1962, '63, or '64.

It is likely that the top is collapsing due to a loose or weak tone bar. The tone bar might even have been damaged at the factory when the top was cut out for the pickup. It should be repairable, but I would not be surprised if it is necessary to replace the bass side tone bar.

The case might be interesting to some people, and should be included in the sale if you decide to let the instrument go; but it is not particularly valuable. It was an inexpensive case when it was made, and is interesting mostly because of its condition. It's just kind of a nice extra to be able to include it with the mandolin.

I am not up on modern electric mandolins, but I suspect that new instruments of good quality are available.

Another possibility that you can check into is installing a good quality pickup in your Fylde mandolin. There are many different pickups available these days.

As I'm sure you're aware, you're dealing with two different animals, between the Fylde with a clip-on mic, and the EM150 with its magnetic pickup. When an acoustic mandolin's top is extensively modified by installing a large magnetic pickup and the related controls, the acoustic character of the instrument is irrevocably changed. You're just not going to get the same response from a top that's been compromised to that extent. The EM150 is designed to be played electrically. Further, the signal sent to amp, PA, whatever, differs: one is generated by strings vibrating through the magnetic field of the pickup poles, the other by an acoustic diaphragm of some type within the mic being activated by the vibrations of the mandolin's wooden top, and generating an electric signal.

That being said, the EM150 was a good electric mandolin, and you surely should have the bass side sinkage investigated; it may be due to bracing failure, as rcc56 speculates, and may well be correctable. Your repairperson should be able to get good access to the "innards" once the pickup's taken off. On the other hand, some arch-top mandolins have their tops deform over the years from string pressure, with the bracing deforming as well. If the instrument's still playable, some slight flattening of the top arch is not a good thing, but not disastrous.

While I'm not an electric mandolin player myself, Cafe members have given some good reviews to the Eastwood Mandocaster,, so you might investigate it; it also uses magnetic pickups, like your EM150. You can also glean a lot of info from the Cafe's electric mandolin forum, where you'll find lots of discussion and suggestions.

If you decide to amplify your Fylde, you'll probably be talking about some form of piezoelectric pickup, which, again, differs from the magnetic pickups on the EM150. Magnetic-pickup mandolins are more like "little electric guitars" due to the use of mag pickups.

Oh, and I agree about the case; nothing special, the basic '60's chipboard low-end case, but worth keeping because it's "period," and might be good to include if you ever want to sell the EM150. Don't underestimate the value of the instrument; a quick Google search found a couple of '60's EM150's with asking prices of $2K. Yours has condition issues, but it's still got value on the used/vintage market.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Teacher, repair person

As far as market value, Carter's has listed a '57 model at $1500. Since they are not known for being a bargain store, I would say that $2K might fall into to the realm of wishful thinking.

5. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Thanks, both, for your comments. I will get the tone bar and brace checked. There's another EM150 thread about someone doing that repair on an instrument that was in considerably worse shape than mine. As a family gift, it will be a while before I can move this if I want to. That's not a bad thing though. It works fine for the once monthly use that I put it through. I enjoy the occasional "Wow! Is that an old Gibson?" comment.
    Fylde Single Malt Mandolin
    Fylde Touchstone Octave Mandolin
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    ...I would say that $2K might fall into to the realm of wishful thinking.
    You may well be right. Here are the referenced listings:

Reverb

eBay

And two others:

TwinTown

Music Zoo

Obviously, one can ask whatever one thinks one can get; there are enough naive purchasers around to make a "highball" asking price at least worth a try.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM