Thread: Loar LM 400 reviews

Default Loar LM 400 reviews

I've purchased a used LM-400 from Elderly (a 2012).

Interestingly, I have found very few if any in-depth reviews. I would have thought that, even if it was not popular, there would be some reviews for it online somewhere. Their still sold online, usually for $599, but there doesn't seem to be too many reviews.

The few comments I've read have all been positive with the exception of mentioning a couple of occasions where the top caved.

Can anyone point me to an in-depth review of this instrument? Did it not get much love when it was introduced?

I'm comfortable with my purchase, but was curious as to why the lack of reviews. I posted about it in the general forum, got a lot of views but only two comments. I'm ok if someone tells me it was panned for some reason, I still like it.

Thanks much
    Steve

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Loar LM 400 reviews

Steve, sounds to me like you should write a review of it. I'd point you to an in-depth review if I could, but I've never seen one nor even looked for one. Anyway, you already have the instrument, so step in the gap and write your review.

Also, glad you like it. The best mandolin is any mandolin you own and love!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I found your other thread, in which you were considering purchasing this one. Did you get the setup work done, or order it "as is"? Just curious.

I think maybe plenty of folk have played these "The Loar" brand mandolins, so hopefully you'll hear from some of them here eventually. I have an entry level mandolin that I love, and for now it is my only mandolin. It is the Washburn M106SWK. I've never read any reviews on it, but I like it very much.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I found your other thread, in which you were considering purchasing this one. Did you get the setup work done, or order it "as is"? Just curious.

I think maybe plenty of folk have played these "The Loar" brand mandolins, so hopefully you'll hear from some of them here eventually. I have an entry level mandolin that I love, and for now it is my only mandolin. It is the Washburn M106SWK. I've never read any reviews on it, but I like it very much.
    I bought it as is after they told me it was currently playable. I'm trusting their reputation. It arrives Monday fedex so I don't have it yet. I've only owned a much cheaper mandolin so I'm not real experienced. But I do know you get what you pay for. I'm not ready, nor able, to purchase 1k plus instruments. I'm the usual guitar player who wants to branch out a little for some inspiration.

The 400 is the A style of the 700 f style; there’s plenty of reviews / demos for the 700, I pulled the trigger and ordered
    a 700 yesterday, should arrive sometime next week.

A guy ((Dennis Vance?) at The Mandolin Store reviews it favorably here:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C953&FORM=VIRE

I have one about the same vintage as yours, bought it new from Robert Fear at Folkmusician. Darn good mando for $400 back then. I added a Cumberland bridge which gave it a lot better sound. It does project -- my luthier was shocked: "It is LOUD," he said. It's not subtle, but plays easy with a nice size fingerboard, a bit bigger than my other mando, a KM-1500. Good tuners. Real good looking mando, too. I see they're now called LM 400 Supreme, don't know what the Supreme refers to.

I think you'll like it a lot.

Cheers,

Bill

Kentuckys don't seem to get much traction around here. They sort of damned with faint praise. In fact, I sort of damned my own 1500 when it was new, but it opened up after about 5 years and now I wouldn't trade it.
    Last edited by Bill Findley; Dec-28-2019 at 6:48pm. Reason: addition

The “supreme “ moniker efers to Loar’s top of the line instruments.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick