Thread: "Vintage" Collins MT2G mando - pricing

Question "Vintage" Collins MT2G mando - pricing

Hey everybody, I've got an early serial number Collings MT2G, serial #110. It got a LOT of play on tour across the USA, Europe and the Caribbean between 2001-2010 and is by NO MEANS in perfect or original condition; refret with stainless, some scrapes and marks that are highly visible; it's a players mandolin. I bought it brand new out of the back of Bill Collings' truck in 2001.

That said, my main gigging axe these days is a Collings MF and has been since around 2012. I'm looking to, well not exactly upgrade (because it's such a nice axe), but to get a different mandolin to mess around with.

I'm wondering what people think the value of this axe is in "players" condition as opposed to "mint" or "VG" condition? Also open to trades. My references for reliability include Scott Tichenor (Mandolin Cafe) and Jim Baggett (Mass Street Music), and if you need more than that I suppose I can find them.

I am traveling in Australia right now so can't send photos, but wanted to see what people's first reactions were to this.

Thanks in advance!
    Max Paley, Denver, CO (formerly Lawrence, KS)

Default Re: "Vintage" Collins MT2G mando - pricing

I think you will find many who would jump on an attractively priced mandolin they could not afford if it were pristine. I would almost always pick a gigged hard instrument over one with one unfortunate calamity. What the price should be I haven’t a clue.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Jim Baggett could give you a better idea of the resale value.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

No pics makes it difficult to answer. Not that I am an expert, by any means.

What’s up with the “G” in the model designation? I assume it means gloss but haven’t seen that used on an MT2. Could it be an MT since they come in both gloss and satin and gloss?
    Russ Jordan

There were some German spruce topped MT2s way back when.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    There were some German spruce topped MT2s way back when.
    Thanks, Mary--I did not know that
    Russ Jordan

There’s a really nice blonde one out there with the same designation.