Thread: Francesco Catania

Question Francesco Catania

Hello,

I have a round back Mandolin. The label on the inside reads as follows:

Strumenti Musicali a Corda
    Francesco Catania
    Catania C. P. 147

I bought it when I was a student in Cork, Ireland in 1974. It has been up in my attic for about the last 40+ years but I took it out again recently to restart playing. It still sounds nice!

Does anybody know anything about this make of mandolin? Apart from the fact that I bought it in '74, I know nothing else about age, origin, pedigree in general. Any info to satisfy me curiosity would be really appreciated.

Default Re: Francesco Catania

Here is a 5+ year old thread. Does yours look like this one?

Or this one: Francesco Catania Mandolino 1940-1950

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kqa7ahww6z81uzswum6a.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	182790

Catania is a town in Sicily and it was a center of instrument making. I think some folks might have taken the town name for the name of their shop. Or else it was originally a family name. There are other makers of mandolins and guitars with that last name.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Francesco Catania

Thanks Jim. It’s more like the one in the “5+ year old thread” except that the pick guard is only below the strings - same pattern though. I had it looked at this week but I don’t think it is worth investing in and having it repaired. Lying around untouched for 40 years in my attic has not improved it and I see cracks in the soundboard and belly plus other bad stuff that predate my owning it. It will take pride of place on some wall or other at home and just hang about looking pretty until the end of its or my days.