Thread: Mandola - Tonedexter Settings & Pickup Questions

Default Mandola - Tonedexter Settings & Pickup Questions

I have my first ever mandola heading my way. I’m pretty exited to try it out!

I play at church through a Tonedexter. Channels 1 - 11 are for guitar & 12+ are mandolin frequencies. Where should I program a mandola?

I’ve been using (and happy) with K&K Mini Twin pickups on my mandolins. Would that model reach close enough to the sound hole (it's a Gibson H1) or should I use a different model?

I think my biggest question is why doesn't spell check know the word "mandola"

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Chris from Tucson
    2007 Heiden Artist F5 #F102
    1919 Gibson A3 #49762 (found on eBay for $15!!)
    2022 Austin Clark Octave #159
    1922 Gibson H1 Mandola #70063
    1972 Martin D-18 (modified by Bryan Kimsey)
    2024 Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

Default Re: Mandola - Tonedexter Settings & Pickup Questions

From the AudioSprockets website
    "Preparing for Training ToneDexter
    Guitar and Mic Setup…
    ToneDexter comes with software optimized for Acoustic Guitar, Dobro, Viola, Cello, Bazouki, Mandola, Mandocello, Baritone Guitar. Separate versions of software are available for (HGH) higher pitched instruments like Violin, Mandolin, Banjo, Ukulele, and (BAS) a version optimized for Upright and Bass. See the Support page for more info on installing these different versions. Before training make sure you install the version appropriate for your instrument."

https://audiosprockets.com/tonedexter/tonedexter-setup/

I think the basic ToneDexter software is appropriate for Mandola. Other software HGH and BAS. You can always email questions to James May, the inventor of the ToneDexter. He usually replies within a day or two.

As far as I know the memory locations are all the same and all start with no data in them. I don't think locations 12-22 are Mandolin specific locations.

"Helpful Setup Hints
    ToneDexter automatically makes corrections when creating the WaveMap to improve feedback immunity for live use, from slots 1-21. If you are training ToneDexter for a sound you will use in the studio for recording, then set the WaveMap Select knob to R22, for the most mic-like sound without feedback adjustments – the A/B bank switch on the back switches between banks R1-11, and R12-22. Either type of WaveMaps may be stored into any location."

3. The following members say thank you to Pine Cone for this post:

Thanks for the reply Pine Cone. Yeah, I have the manual and have emailed James in the past. I'll hit him up again and reach out to Austin Clark on what K&K pickup he installed in my Octave.

I was just curios if anyone on here knew the frequency of a mandola and what K&K pickup fit properly.

FYI - The manual does state on page #20:

HGH (high firmware)
    • 73Hz (D2) to 392Hz (G4) (when operating in low bank slots 1-11)
    • 124Hz (B2) to 466Hz (A#4) (when operating in high bank slots 12-22)
    Chris from Tucson

Side note - the last version of the software no longer does the feedback correction in any slot.

I tried Mandola in both the lower and higher banks, and it definitely sounds better in the lower, as recommended.

Steven
    Silverangel Econo A #438 (“Swazi”)
    Schnoor Silver Bell Style 5 Tenor
    Schnoor 5-string open back
    Martin OM-21
    1950 Epiphone Devon
    Emmons GS-10
    More electrics than you can shake a stick at. I have to sell this stuff.

6. The following members say thank you to stevo58 for this post:

Thanks Stevo58! That's what I needed to know.
    Chris from Tucson

Concerning pick-up in an oval hole mandola: It might be hard to place the two elements of the K&K twin in the perfect spot. What I normally do is try to find the perfect spot from the outside: Hold it on various ares of the top and listen to it through a speaker using my usual preamp. Then I see if I can reach that spots through the hole on the inside, but sometimes it's simply not possible or braces are in the way.
    Last time I did that I then tried various pickups: K&K twin, Dazzo, Baggs Radius (the latter two have only one element which makes it a lot easier) and opted for Dazzo in a Mandola and a Baggs Radius in a sound hole mandolin.
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass

9. The following members say thank you to mando-bob for this post:

Thanks Mando-Bob. I heard back from Austin Clark. He said he uses Mini Twins in his octaves. You can request an octave length but he said mandolin length will work well too.

It makes sense that mandola would sound better on the lower channels given it's "closer to guitar" range. I tell you what, man, the electronics side of this stuff kind of hurts my head. I got pretty comfortable with my LR Baggs Radius DI when I was using it regularly in church (it's been a few years now), but I'd still just rather play through a mic (which isn't always reasonable depending on volume levels and the other instruments involved, I know, I know). The sanctuary was a totally different room from where we had youth worship, so I had to play with the settings pretty much every time I used it, and it was mostly trial and error rather than any true understanding of what I was doing. I need a guy like Jason Isbell has who takes all of the effects they use and simplifies it all down to just a few pedals/combinations he has to deal with depending on the song, LOL.

Congrats on the new mandola!
    Chuck

12. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Yeah CES, I agree that a mic is the way to go but I get WAY too much bleed over from the piano & choir. I used a LR Baggs Venue DI for years. It sounded fantastic with an octave mandolin but not near as nice as the ToneDexter does w/ a mandolin. It's nice to have one pedal with 5 instruments dialed in within their correct frequencies. I love having the "mute/tune" switch. I've been interested in trying a RedEye but it doesn't have one. And trying to keep it simple like Jason Isbell I don't want to add another pedal.

Thanks for the "congrats" on the mandola. I just checked and it should be here on Saturday!
    Chris from Tucson

I’m curious if you have any issues with volume difference when switching between mandolin and mandola or octave on the TD? I currently play my mandolin through the TD with a wavemap and just use bypass for the octave because it sounds great that way, but have been meaning to set a wavemap for it. Luckily it has its own volume adjustment.

That's a good question NDO. I wouldn't know. We have someone that controls the soundboard from an iPad. We've got a TON of mics (Priest, Deacon, two podiums, piano, 2-3 guitar(s), bass, myself and probity a dozen for the choir.

I just leave it the TD in bypass mode. I do use boost if I'm requested to play the melody (to kill time if the communion is long). I also use boost for the last tune because we send "everyone forth" with something a little groovy (and loud).
    Chris from Tucson

16. The following members say thank you to Chris Gray for this post:

NDO 

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post
    Thanks for the reply Pine Cone. Yeah, I have the manual and have emailed James in the past. I'll hit him up again and reach out to Austin Clark on what K&K pickup he installed in my Octave.

I was just curios if anyone on here knew the frequency of a mandola and what K&K pickup fit properly.

FYI - The manual does state on page #20:

HGH (high firmware)
    • 73Hz (D2) to 392Hz (G4) (when operating in low bank slots 1-11)
    • 124Hz (B2) to 466Hz (A#4) (when operating in high bank slots 12-22)
    Interesting.

I have never had an instrument with a piezo pickup that needed the HGH ToneDexter firmware, just guitars and more recently an Octave Mandolin. I have just used the default (guitar) firmware. I am considering adding some sort of under-saddle pickup to one of my mandolins, so I may be moving to the HGH firmware soon.