Thread: crossrock fiberglass case

Default crossrock fiberglass case

anyone using a crossrock fiberglass mandolin case for a northfield big mon with a tone gard...any issues with the fit or otherwise...thanks.
    Thanks for your support?

Default Re: crossrock fiberglass case

I have heard great things about the crossrock. I was in contact with them not long ago and they told me they are releasing an updated version of their case mid october. They made some changes based on feedback from players. I might have to grab one when they come out. Of all the people I know that have one...I don't think they have any issues fitting a tonegaurd

The older (original?) case was larger than a "standard" F5, since it was designed to fit a wide range of mandolins. A guy at the Monroe Camp had Big Mon in a bright yellow fiberglass case, which looked like a Crossrock to me, but unless they've expanded the color selection on the new ones, it would have had to have been the previous generation F/A case (model CRF1020MAF). Can't recall if he had a Tone-Gard on his mando, though.

If they really made the new case to fit a Gibson F (something I read somewhere, model CRF2020MAF), I'd think it might be a tight fit with the Big Mon.

I think some folks have tried the new case here, but they have made it confusing.

edit: just checked and both are on Amazon, the new one is a bit more - $293 vs $268, but I had to enter the model number to get to the new one, and then pick carefully. RE-EDIT: there are THREE cases, the old and new(er) combo A/F cases, with models listed above, and a new, F-only case at $319. (Amazon Link)
    Last edited by keith.rogers; Oct-04-2023 at 9:03pm.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

I have the last generation Crossrock case, and use it all the time. I’ve flown with it and carried it on many road trips and to several festivals since getting it in the spring. My primary mandolin is a 1972 Paganoni and has the original Paganoni case from 1972, which I don’t want to tear up any more (it has plenty of wear to the exterior already). I understand from a recent thread that the latest iteration eliminates the optional cushion mine has. I don’t know for certain about the newest iteration, but I would think that it would be dangerous for any oversized mandolin with non-standard dimensions. The last generation, still widely available and inexpensive (by fiberglass case standards), should fit your Big Mon with a ToneGuard with no problem at all. It fits my Paganoni with a ToneGuard, using the optional cushion, wonderfully with no wiggling or shaking - tuning is always as I left it after long road trips. I would not want to check it for a flight, but - knock on wood - I have not needed to do that on the couple of flight trips it’s experienced. I can say that I wouldn’t be interested in a case that required me to remove the ToneGuard, and the optional cushion, for my Loar Spec mandolin provides extra padding and a great place to loop the strap and leave it on. I dig the CrossRock as it was; haven’t seen the newest gen yet.

6. The following members say thank you to TX2AK for this post: