Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez mandolin questions

Default Ibanez mandolin questions

Hey folks I'm a first time poster here and I have a few questions. I've been playing the guitar for quite a few years now but I have recently come into possessing an Ibanez M700 mandolin. Picking one up has always been on my mind so needless to say I was very excited upon receiving this instrument. But I'm having trouble finding any reviews for this particular mandolin. No videos or anything. I know I may be looking in the wrong places but do any of you guys have an info on this particular instrument? Is it a good one to learn on? Obviously I don't need anything top of the line but I was honestly wondering how it stacks up against other similarly priced mandolins.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Ibanez mandolin questions

I'm sure you've played around with it a bit already, do you like the way it sounds?

I am a newbie too, so more experienced and knowledgeable people here will chime in soon to answer your question. It seems that several retailers are selling the M700 at about $499 ~ there are a lot of nice, tried and true mandolins that can be had in that price range. You'll probably hear soon about Kentucky mandos, Eastman mandos, and good used mandos that might be better deals for five bills. But what does it matter about comparing so much at this point? You've already "come into possession" of this one.

Judging from what is said here this a new Ibanez offering, so it is doubtful you can compare it to others just yet. On the plus side, it is carved hardwoods, no laminates. The pictures look very pretty, how is the 'fit and finish' on the one in your hands?

Is it a good one to learn on?
    Now we come to the really important question, and the answer is 'yes' - if it is set up properly, and you like it, then it is great to learn on.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the mandolin. You have come to a great place to learn, and the mandolin is a great little instrument. Someone's signature here says something like, "The best mandolin is your own." I agree with that.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Jim Bwildcat 

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    ...I was honestly wondering how it stacks up against other similarly priced mandolins.
    That really depends on how much you paid for it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks for the reply Mark! Guess I should have specified this was a gift given to me. I may not have the best frame of reference but I think it sounds just lovely. I was thinking it might be a new model they were offering with the limited info there is out there. But from the small amount of learning I've done here so far, it being carved instead of laminated is a good plus. As far as condition goes it's near mint as far as I can tell. Thanks for the welcome I've been reading here all day and I don't see a stop anytime soon

- - - Updated - - -

It was actually given to me as a gift from a dear friend

All I'm seeing is "Solid engraved tonewoods". I have never seen engraved used this way.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Well sir if you haven't then I most certainly haven't! Do you have even a guess as to what that might mean?

Ibanez M-700 specs list "all solid woods," a plus, but I'm not 100% certain that the top and back are carved rather than heat-pressed. At two of the sites I researched, the term "engraved solid woods" is used, and I'm not certain what "engraved wood" is. May be a translation of "carved," or not.

Around $500 discounted is a low-end price for a carved F-model mandolin, and I'd be pretty sure it's not hand-carved at that price. Hand-carved is best, machine-carved next best, heat-pressed (to get the curvature of the back and sides) is the least expensive process, and while one can't infer acoustic rankings with certainty, better instruments are carved rather than heat-pressed.

Can't look a gift horse in the mouth, I guess, and a gift mandolin is well worth playing. You could certainly do much worse than the M-700 as a first instrument; had I made the selection, I would have foregone the extra costs of producing an F-model, and acquired a less fancy A-model instrument with a hand-carved top and back. But since you have the M-700 -- presumably, well set up -- I'd learn on it, see if you like playing mandolin, and think about a hand-carved, solid-wood mandolin for your second instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Thank you for putting in some time to research and help me out Mr. Hopkins. I agree with you on every count there. As a gift I am extremely grateful to have been given this opportunity to learn something I've been looking at for quite some time. Although I do have a question regarding your response. I keep seeing "set up" about every where I look regarding quality and different types. Could you maybe elaborate a little on what would constitute a good "set up"?

13. The following members say thank you to wildcat for this post:

...Could you maybe elaborate a little on what would constitute a good "set up"?
    Mandolins -- them tricky li'l beasts -- are more sensitive to good vs. bad preparation, or "set up," than guitars. This is due to several factors, many of them related to the instrument's bridge. You will notice, if you haven't already, that your mandolin has what's called a "floating" bridge; it's not glued to the top, but is held in place by string tension. Also, that it has brass knobs or wheels on threaded posts, allowing its height to be adjusted. So the bridge has to be in the right place, and set to the right height.

If your M-700 had a good "shop set-up," this may be true when you receive it. If it was just taken out of the shipping crate from Asia and passed on to you, it may not. Since you're just starting out, my best advice would be to take it to a dealer/repair shop, and have a tech who knows something about mandolins take a look at it. In addition to proper bridge location and height, the tech should check the nut for proper slotting, make sure the neck has proper "relief" (slight concave curvature, adjustable with the truss rod if needed), and examine the frets for proper height. Plus just a general check-up of tuners, tailpiece, etc. And maybe some better strings, if it came from the factory with "cheapos."

Your set-up may be fine now, or it may not be. If you search this site for Cafe´name "robster," you'll come upon a gent named Rob Meldrum, who'll provide you free of charge, with an e-book on mandolin set-up so you can do your own. Depending on how confident and hands-on you are, this may be the ticket; even playing the mandolin for 45 years, as I have, I take my mandos to a pro for set-up checking. Your call.

Don't let the concept of set-up worry you; 'tain't rocket science, and a decent instrument can be made to play decently without major surgery. But it is a necessity, and more so with mandolins than with guitars, with their fixed bridges.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Setup refers to the adjustments that can be made to most mandolins to make them play better/easier. The neck can be straightened so that the strings will follow it closely. The bridge can be adjusted for both the height and the placement of the bridge itself. The combination of the neck adjustment and the bridge height contribute to what is known as the action, or basically how much effort is required to press the strings down. The placement of the bridge affects the intonation or how "in tune" the mandolin is with itself. The string choice is another factor in this equation. Also the nut height can be adjusted, if necessary, by filing/sanding. The playability of almost every mandolin can be improved with a good setup.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Oct-28-2015 at 12:04am.

17. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Ahh I see. I had no idea I couldn't just tune and play on one of these. I'm probably working with a pretty basic retail set up. This mandolin was purchased at a music shop before it came to me so I believe I'm gonna take your advice and seek someone out who can take a good look at it. I've made a checklist of your suggestions so as I won't completely look like a lost pup when I'm out there. I think I'm gonna take Rob up on his book and archive that for a skill I can later pick up if need be. And again Mr. Hopkins I'd like to thank you for your time and help here. You and the other fellas in the thread have shown me how nice it is around these parts and I'm most definitely going to keep coming back. Happy pickin!

19. The following members say thank you to wildcat for this post:

That's some promising news there Jeff. I already like the sound my instrument is making, and if I can get the set up to make it sound a little better well then I'll certainly welcome that. I play a martin hd 35 on the guitar end of things so I'm used to some pretty low action. I'll be interested to see if it gets only lower on the mandolin here. Thanks for getting back to me with that info my friend.

Just spitballing here, but does "engraving" evoke the image of machine routing/carving to duplicate a template to anyone besides me?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Just spitballing here, but does "engraving" evoke the image of machine routing/carving to duplicate a template to anyone besides me?
    Just like y'all, I saw a lot of that "engraved hardwood" baloney and thought it might be a pressed top - until I read the tech specs at Sweetwater which specifically state "carved", that's what I based my comments on. I'm not necessarily convinced either, but at this point just taking those tech specs at their word. Look below the paragraph about engraving to the tech specs chart here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M700AVS
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

23. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by markscarts View Post
    I read the tech specs at Sweetwater which specifically state "carved", that's what I based my comments on.
    You mean the instrument that the guys taking the picture of didn't bother to remove the under-the-bridge foam protection and to set the intonation at all?

I usually like Sweetwater but in this case they didn't seem to be on the ball.

25. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Must not be on the SW 26 point checklist!

27. The following members say thank you to Iceman for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

My friend just got a new Ibanez M700 it came the same way piese of

foam paper under the bridge. The bridge was not fitted to the top , i didn't like the bridge either kind of big and bulky, needed alot of sanding , i think the top is too thick, it sounds ok bit not loud anougth (new bridge may help i suggested a Cumberland. The finish was pretty good. The tunners felt ok. The nut was cut right. Will have to see how the sound changes as he plays it
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darrylicshon For This Useful Post:

I learned to play mandolin on a lower quality Ibanez mando, coming from a violin and guitar background. You can learn on this mando. Poke around here for info on setting the action and intonation (use the search function) and you'll be all set.

31. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

If it was free it's certainly as good if not better than anything else in that price range. If you were buying it I would send you elsewhere. Enjoy it, and welcome to the journey.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

33. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I'm not a big fan of the way the pick guard is mounted.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Think we can pretty much agree that we have a run-of-the-mill Asian factory-made mandolin, not the best and not the worst. Properly set up, it would be OK for wildcat to learn on. Getting a $500 gift mandolin is not an everyday occurrence, and were I in wildcat's shoes (size 12?), I'd sure take advantage of it.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Well guys it goes without saying that I'm really excited. I called my local stringed instrument shop and I'm taking it in to get it setup. Gonna see what the guy has to say about what he might think is best and compare to what you guys said. Thanks again for all the help and kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the way the pick guard is mounted.
    Me either, but it seems to be on par for current Asian Ibanez's, I had to remove mine after a couple months rigorous playing - started buzzing

Well guys it goes without saying that I'm really excited. I called my local stringed instrument shop and I'm taking it in to get it setup. Gonna see what the guy has to say about what he might think is best and compare to what you guys said. Thanks again for all the help and kind words!
    Do they have experience setting up mandolins?

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

kvehewildcat