Thread: Need recommendation for clear finish

Default Need recommendation for clear finish

I’ve finished several mandolins to date- using Tru Oil, which worked great for a thin finish that doesn’t impede the sound. Two f5’s I’ve built have great sound so hate to change. However, I plan to use blue dyes on the next build and Tru Oil yellows. I’m looking for advice on a truly clear finish that’s not as sensitive as shellac to things like alcohol. My fear is that lacquer would dampen the sound, and I don’t have a large buffing wheel. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass

Default Re: Need recommendation for clear finish

Water borne finishes are about the most colorless of finishes. In fact, some can tend toward blue, so amber color is sometimes added to neutralize the blue "haze".
    As for application, some people get good results using water borne, others are disappointed with their results. I haven't sprayed a water borne finish in over 30 years so at this point I think I can say I know nothing about their application.

I've had good success with spraying Target Coatings EM6000 water based lacquer. If you get on their email list, they include a monthly 20% off code. Good until Feb 1: WB20. I typically spray over a thin shellac sealer coat to help protect the water based stains. Depending on the spraying conditions, I will thin the EM6000 with some water.

I have also brushed it on with foam brushes but additional leveling will be necessary to clean up the inevitable brush marks.

Buffing: I hand buff using Meguiars #2 and #9. No buffing wheel necessary just lots of elbow grease.
    Last edited by bpatrick; Jan-25-2020 at 10:48am. Reason: Additional Information

Check out a product called Royal Lac. It might work for you. LMI carries it. I finished my mandolin with it using a combination of wipe on, then a French polish. Sorensen has done a Blue mandolin. Might ask him what he did.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1