Thread: Best Android Tablet >10" for Sheet Music

Default Best Android Tablet >10" for Sheet Music

Hi, I'm looking for Android tablet (> 10") recommendations to display sheet music.

I currently use a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 which is good for many things (including the pen for making notations), but the display is smaller ~9.5") than I'd like. I don't want to switch to iPad, although I know many musicians use them. I'm too ingrained with Android (and Windows) to make that leap.

I'm using MobileScore Pro, but am not totally averse to switching software for the right hardware solution. The only other requirement is to be able to connect a foot pedal for page flipping.

What are you using?
    ...Tom
    Plays: Gibson A40 ('56), Breedlove American KF ('11), Weber Yellowstone Mandola ('12)
    Says: So many instruments out there, and so little time!

Default Re: Best Android Tablet >10" for Sheet Music

I use a kindle 10" but use pdf's, tabledit (spelling) and tunefox on it.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Apple user here but I did a quick google search and this came back.

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobileshee...ut.php?lang=en
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

4. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I should have checked MobileSheet's site first. Thanks. I'll share anything I find of interest.
    ...Tom
    Plays: Gibson A40 ('56), Breedlove American KF ('11), Weber Yellowstone Mandola ('12)

6. The following members say thank you to napochan for this post:

I forgot to say in my post that I have the iPad 12.9” and when it comes to sheet music size does matter. I don’t use it when I play out but I’m able to upload things I’m working on and have it with me when I’m traveling, outside on the deck, or just in another room away from my main computer.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I am a PC person and Android user but have found the IPad Pro is the way to go for music along with the Ipen.
    I mainly use ForScore, iReal pro, and amazing slow downer software
    I know it is pricey but I feel it is worth it. Feel free to
    PM me if you want more information or have any questions.
    It works well with a page turner too!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    I am a PC person and Android user but have found the IPad Pro is the way to go for music along with the Ipen.
    I mainly use ForScore, iReal pro, and amazing slow downer software
    I know it is pricey but I feel it is worth it. Feel free to
    PM me if you want more information or have any questions.
    It works well with a page turner too!
    Thanks Barry.

Ultimately, I may yield to making the transition, but I'll keep looking for now. Chromebooks seem to offer more choices in the size range we need, but I just started looking at them.
    ...Tom

Quote Originally Posted by napochan View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for Android tablet (> 10") recommendations to display sheet music.

I currently use a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 which is good for many things (including the pen for making notations), but the display is smaller ~9.5") than I'd like. I don't want to switch to iPad, although I know many musicians use them. I'm too ingrained with Android (and Windows) to make that leap.

I'm using MobileScore Pro, but am not totally averse to switching software for the right hardware solution. The only other requirement is to be able to connect a foot pedal for page flipping.

What are you using?
    How big a screen are you looking for?
    I'd personally go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e with 10.5" AMOLED screen.
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax.../dp/B07Q5VPXG4

If you want an 18" you can still find the Galaxy View used for about $500
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Unloc.../dp/B018WOFB5Y

If you need to stay inexpensive, the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" can be found for $180 or so, but 32GB ram is a bit weak these days
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax.../dp/B07Q3T2RZF

Thanks Barry.

Ultimately, I may yield to making the transition, but I'll keep looking for now. Chromebooks seem to offer more choices in the size range we need, but I just started looking at them.
    Chrome books are ok, they are fast start up and have long battery life. If you've never had one they ARE different than a computer. Learned that when I bought my son one. Memory is small, have to use a thumb drive, etc for the added space. They have a learning curve as far as memory use vs a standard laptop.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

I have a p.c. laptop and I'm leaning toward buying my first android pad but all of my music buddies have Ipads; I'm assuming the two species are unable to communicate and share pdf files.

Blog Entries

If you use a file browsing app on the Tablet or iPad they can share a common storage source. so if you share a drive on your PC or an outboard drive then the Pc and tablet/iPad will be able to access it. I do this for my iPad including using the outboard 1Tb drive for my music libraries & recording back ups
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

If you keep your pdfs in Dropbox, Google Drive or similar you can share them through that service -and there's always email.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hall View Post
    I have a p.c. laptop and I'm leaning toward buying my first android pad but all of my music buddies have Ipads; I'm assuming the two species are unable to communicate and share pdf files.
    I share my pdf files via DropBox from my Windows laptop to my Apple I-pad. (Adobe Acrobat makes it easier to see the music.)

I suppose the I-Cloud drive would work too, with the right passwords etc.

The issue, for me at least, is weather you want to create/edit music notation or tab.
    Weather you want to hear the music notation.
    And weather you want to import/export existing notation from other sources like Finale, Sibelius, or Muse Score.
    Last edited by DougC; Jan-28-2020 at 12:18pm.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Band I was in used Songbook (chordpro) so I got an ASUS 8" which work great for 5 years and still works fine. I got it for two reasons, 1) small size yet not phone tiny and 2) Android OS lets you get down into the file system and get directly to any file to edit, including MP3.

I realize you said sheet music but I can at least recommend the ASUS/Android.

What are you using?
    We have a Samsung Galaxy Pro Tab 12" and a Google Pixel 12". They are both perfect for sheet music.
    Northfield A5S "Grey Fox"
    Northfield Model M
    Weber Sweet Pea

I use a MS Surface Pro for displaying my lyric sheets with chords (I can never remember lyrics) Just under the size of a standard sheet of paper.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Kindle HD Fire works fine for me. All my music is in jpeg form. Rather than use wi-fi dependent Dropbox or the like, I added a 64 gig micro SD card to the Kindle so I can store locally. Loads of storage space for everything I need.
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

Quote Originally Posted by 20MartinA View Post
    Kindle HD Fire works fine for me. All my music is in jpeg form. Rather than use wi-fi dependent Dropbox or the like, I added a 64 gig micro SD card to the Kindle so I can store locally. Loads of storage space for everything I need.
    It would seem to me that PDF might be a better format. JPEGs can take up a lot of room. (On the other hand, you might be in too deep to try to convert them at this point.)
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    It would seem to me that PDF might be a better format. JPEGs can take up a lot of room. (On the other hand, you might be in too deep to try to convert them at this point.)
    That's why I added the additional storage. JPEGS seem to open quicker than PDFs on my Kindle - an advantage in a jam circle where we play from a large book of tunes.
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

Quote Originally Posted by 20MartinA View Post
    That's why I added the additional storage. JPEGS seem to open quicker than PDFs on my Kindle - an advantage in a jam circle where we play from a large book of tunes.
    And, regardless of what I said, that makes sense.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.