Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New tenor

Default Re: New tenor

Anyone get one of these in hand to play yet? It appears they are available and shipping....

I have a coworker whose father takes banjo lessons from my Dad, and she emailed yesterday to say that her Dad had bought a tenor guitar at my suggestion. (I don't remember suggesting it, but I probably tell everyone I meet to buy a tenor guitar.) Anyway, he has the Recording King, and sent a photo, so it's clearly shipping. Of course he's never played another tenor, so it's tough to know how it compares to the Kala or the Blueridge or the Ibanez or other entry level models, but at least it really is shipping.

I'm still hemming and hawing about it. My main tenor is great - a 1935 Gibson-made Cromwell (like a Kalamazoo KTG-14 with back binding and HUGE marker dots), but my "upstairs" guitar is a 12 fret OO conversion I made when I first got into tenor guitar. It sounds and plays great (especially for what it is) but the lure of having a 14 fret neck still has me considering the RK, especially for the price. I tune GDAE but more and more I capo at 5 to play in CGDA, and with a 12 fret neck, that's a little scrunched! I'd still love to hear someone's opinion of it, especially someone who has experience with tenors and tries it in GDAE!

I bought the Recording King ROST-7-TS. I will start a new thread.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

4. The following members say thank you to sounds_good for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mreidsma View Post
    I have a coworker whose father takes banjo lessons from my Dad, and she emailed yesterday to say that her Dad had bought a tenor guitar at my suggestion. (I don't remember suggesting it, but I probably tell everyone I meet to buy a tenor guitar.) Anyway, he has the Recording King, and sent a photo, so it's clearly shipping. Of course he's never played another tenor, so it's tough to know how it compares to the Kala or the Blueridge or the Ibanez or other entry level models, but at least it really is shipping.

I'm still hemming and hawing about it. My main tenor is great - a 1935 Gibson-made Cromwell (like a Kalamazoo KTG-14 with back binding and HUGE marker dots), but my "upstairs" guitar is a 12 fret OO conversion I made when I first got into tenor guitar. It sounds and plays great (especially for what it is) but the lure of having a 14 fret neck still has me considering the RK, especially for the price. I tune GDAE but more and more I capo at 5 to play in CGDA, and with a 12 fret neck, that's a little scrunched! I'd still love to hear someone's opinion of it, especially someone who has experience with tenors and tries it in GDAE!
    I bought one a few weeks back - I had a credit at my local guitar shop for returning a Fender Tenor Tele - I like it a lot, but I'm not a guitar connoisseur. I'd always heard that recording king did a nice job on their lower end instruments and this one is a lot of fun to play.
    Addicted to 4-string instruments - Ukulele was the gateway drug, followed by bass and now onto the hard stuff - tenor guitars and banjos (plus a little mandolin on the side)

Here's a YouTube review of the Recording King I spotted on one of the FaceBook Tenor Guitar groups:

Looks like he had some quality control issues - a friend of mine had to send his first one back because the fretboard was actually detached from the neck (!!!). The dealer told my friend that the guitars had arrived in Spring by boat from China but they weren't allowed to dock because of COVID, so they just sat on a boat for a few months, leading to some real structural problems with the first batch. Not sure if that's true, but it would explain the reports of very, very big fret problems I'm heard from several owners.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mreidsma For This Useful Post: