Thread: Octave bridge slot repair

Default Octave bridge slot repair

Why I keep buying instruments online I don't know. In this case I guess the complete lack of octaves anywhere near me is why. I bought a cheapo fender off reverb just to try out the octave. Said it was in great condition. Got it and the top is sunken in, which isn't the end of the world for a cheap instrument, and will hopefully bounce back with rehydration. But one of the g course bridge slots is dug out making the string sit much lower. I'd just get a new bridge since it's a flat top but it has a built in bridge pickup and that seems like more work than I'm willing to do. Can the slots be filled with anything to build it back up?

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Octave bridge slot repair

You could try to fill the slot with super glue and wood dust, and it might work. Or you might just make a mess, especially if it's your first try.

Generally, I instead file the offending area flat with a needle file or the narrow side of a flat file, and inlay a new piece of wood. It's stronger. But it's micro-carpentry, and it takes a bit of skill. If you try it, make the new piece a little bit oversize so you can handle it, glue it with a drop or two of superglue, clamp it, wait 24 hours, and then file off the excess.

Or, a short piece of wire of a gauge big enough to level the string. Make sure it’s curved where the string meets it, and just push it into the old notch. Deal with a more conventional repair later, after you might find other reasons to repair/replace things. 10 minute job, no disassembly. Don’t mention it to a luthier, though.

Thanks for the advice. The top on it was sunken in as well. I thought I could just humidify it to bring it back but on closer inspection realized the bracing was cracked. It's going back to whence it came. It was advertised in excellent, like new condition. Not so true.

Sorry about that, and hope you get your money back. Other than Ebay exerting leverage over vendors, do specialized markets like Reverb offer any buyer protections? I’ve never assumed that used anythings are returnable. I’ve picked up several instruments on Goodwill’s site, but those are one-way purchases!
    By the way, I’ve just recently looked to get some alternative instruments just for experiment, but the only sources (Western CT) of the odd ones are on-line crapshoots. I’ve been lucky overall, especially since Goodwill’s auctions are bereft of owner information, educated inspection or even relevant photos. Sometimes a mandolin is called a lute or a bouzouki, which is fun. Name brand items tend to be bid up far beyond reason, given unknown condition and no return.

Yeah, Western CT is definitely a dead zone for anything mandolin related. That's why I had to go to the net for an octave. Luckily, I got it from Reverb and despite it being sold as-is, nonreturnable, because the description was way off he took it back without question. Even paid for shipping. He also offered me a partial refund if I wanted to keep it but I wasn't interested in putting money into something that wasn't all that great to begin with. It was a Fender.

Buy this guy's 25" bouzouki! I bought a Mann off him a couple years ago and have been tempted by this listing for a while. He's a member of MC as well. Nfi, just a great price.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/...030193983.html
    Blow on, man.

Looks great but is about 4" too long for my hands. Had enough trouble with the A chord fingering on the 20.5" Fender.