Thread: String recommendations for Collings MF

Default String recommendations for Collings MF

I getting ready to change the strings for the first time on my Collings MF. What brand and type/size should I put on it? I’m a newbie and I don’t know what it came with originally. I’ve had them changed once but I can’t seem to find anyone where I am now to do it so guess I get to do it myself!

Default Re: String recommendations for Collings MF

D'Addario J74's will work very well with your Collings MF. I use them on my Weber and Pava.
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

I had a great MF for about eight years. Though it was a custom Englemann topped one. After trying many different strings and gauges I landed on the GHS 270’s being the best fit. I really liked the 16 A strings and the not too heavy 40 G strings.
    Ruhland A5#68
    Lyon & Healy Style A

Blog Entries

D'Addario J74's.
    '95 Gibson F-5V
    2017 Collings MF5
    2017 Martin OOO-28
    2002 Martin D-18GE

Get a couple of extra E strings and a spare set while you're getting the hang of it. Good on you for starting high on the food chain.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by larichhall View Post
    I getting ready to change the strings for the first time on my Collings MF. What brand and type/size should I put on it? I’m a newbie and I don’t know what it came with originally. I’ve had them changed once but I can’t seem to find anyone where I am now to do it so guess I get to do it myself!
    I should add that I’m an “older” lady so my hands aren’t as strong as they used to be and I also had the action lowered a teensy weensy bit to accommodate for fingers not quite as strong as they used to be. If that makes any difference.

Thanks Brick. I figured at my age I don’t have a lot of time to work my way up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Morsi View Post
    I had a great MF for about eight years. Though it was a custom Englemann topped one. After trying many different strings and gauges I landed on the GHS 270’s being the best fit. I really liked the 16 A strings and the not too heavy 40 G strings.
    Thanks Reid, are these a lighter string than the J74s?

Quote Originally Posted by larichhall View Post
    Thanks Reid, are these a lighter string than the J74s?
    They are about the same. If you want something lighter you could use GHS A250's. They are lighter, but may not sound as good. I like a very low action for my old hands and find I can get a lower action with heavier strings. I use GHS N270's. 11 16 27 41, I have a very low action with no buzzing and it plays very easy. I did put a set of the 250's on a mandolin I have recently and they seem to work well and stay in tune fine. A little brighter sound in the wound strings if you like that.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I had a most unusual experience with a guitar lately, and wonder if the same might apply to mandolin. I bought a D 35 through Bryan Kimsey. I enquired about a D18 and he told me his friend was selling a really good D 35 I ended up buying. Now Bryan sets them up with very little relief and strings up with .013s. This guitar plays easier up the neck than many others with lighter strings. Since mandolins have flatter neck reliefs anyway, I don’t know if you could gain any more from flatter. I do know I put J 75s on one mandolin and never looked back. Both hands hurt all the time anyway. It’s just an age thing. I finely thrashed my picking thumb enough that it is chronicle achy too. I know I get lower action with heavier strings.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Great instrument for a newbie - hopefully it will keep the MAS at bay for some time!
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

I can't comment specifically on a Collings MF but you might try a set of Elixir Nanoweb medium's. They are a coated string and I am not sure why, but they just seem to feel easier to play than other sets of the same gauges. You could try a set of medium light of any of the above mentioned strings. I am currently using a set of Curt Mangan Montel medium strings, I like them a lot and they tend to bring out the dry woody sound from my mandolin (if that is what you are after?). You can also order individual strings from them in either the montel or phosphor bronze (like D'Addario EJ strings) and make what ever makes your hands and ears happy.
    GHS A260 instead of A270
    D'Addario's EJ73 instead of EJ74
    It's hard because what one player likes as far as sound may not be the best to you or on your mandolin. The builder of my mandolin recommends GHA A270 strings, I liked them on another mandolin but not on this one. Also you will need to pick something that you can play easily and not feel to stiff. The good thing is mandolin strings are generally fairly inexpensive. I would suggest picking 3 or 4 sets and try a different one each time you change strings until you find one you are happy with.

Second Steve’s suggestion. Monels are really nice. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce