Thread: Northfield Recurve Case

Default Northfield Recurve Case

How much storage space do these cases have. The photos on the NF site are not very revealing. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Default Re: Northfield Recurve Case

I just ran through a few old threads and unless I missed it I don't think anyone has actually commented on how big the accessory pocket is. That's amazing as there are some deeply detailed discussions about it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8.5"W x 4"H x 2"deep. A pack of strings fits in snugly, not quite wide enough for two side by side.
    Mitch Russell

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4270.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	546.2 KB 
ID:	183516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4271.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	490.3 KB 
ID:	183517

A visual of the storage space - bigger than most cases.

Very helpful photographs, thank you John. I was about to pull the trigger on an Airloom case. Looks like the Recurve will do just fine. You too Onassis! Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

You’re all really making me want to get one of those! How are the latches now, are they all coming with new latches compared to how they originally came out?
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Just a heads up that the lid flops all the way over--no ribbons to hold the lid upright. My only complaint about the case and I no longer own one.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    You’re all really making me want to get one of those! How are the latches now, are they all coming with new latches compared to how they originally came out?
    In April of 2019 Adrian (Northfield Instruments) wrote here about the status of the latch:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...72#post1710672

9. The following members say thank you to DGtryin for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    I bought a used green one, the latches are a bit dodgy but work fine, with a little care. I like the case - lightweight, good instrument seating/protection and the mandolin is easily placed within and removed.

All this latch talk has me realizing how important they are. I just bought a Hiscox guitar case with the most well designed latches I’ve ever had, both from a secure closing and nothing to gouge a finish. I’d have to consider Hiscox for a mandolin case despite the bulk. And why would anyone design a case not large enough for a pack of strings?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have one of these with my N5S. Overall I like the case, though a few negatives IMO. The storage area is small. A set of strings in packaging will not lie flat, though it will fit at an angle. There are no "feet" on the wide underside, only on the edge side. So the case will directly touch whatever surface it is on when opened up. As another post said, there is nothing holding the lid from flopping open. Lining up the latches (at least on my example) is difficult. I need to push the top slightly sideways to get the first latch lined up. Then the two other latches will be lined up. This is the most bothersome issue for me. On the positive side. Lightweight, looks great, seems to offer adequate protection of the instrument.
    NK Forster '23 Big Celtic - O
    Northfield F5S
    Weber Bitterroot F20-F Octave
    Home built F5 (1995)

13. The following members say thank you to Chris Calley for this post:

Frankly, I can't justify the higher-end cases. I have used TKL arched cases for all of my A-models and they work just fine. I have bought a few Small Dog covers whch helps for storing some things but they are solid and work fine for me. I like the looks of the Recurve cases but can't see why I need one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The storage area is small. A set of strings in packaging will not lie flat, though it will fit at an angle.
    Don't know what kind of strings you're using, but a pack of Mangan's will lie flat in mine. Snuggish, but they go right in. The compartment seems maybe 1/2" smaller in width and length than my old Travelite. I like the fact that the lid opens to lie flat. Constantly having the lid flop back closed while I'm removing or installing the instrument has always been a pain and a potential source of damage. Now when I open the lid, it stays open. I'm also fine with old latch style. It takes literally 1 second to make sure it latches properly, and then it stays latched. Overall, I dig the case.
    Mitch Russell

Lane, I replied to your Youtube comment but I'll add something here also.

I've had the green recurve case for about 10 months now.
    It was one of the first sold I believe with the new latch design. They work fine as long as the top and bottom of the case are lined up. Sometimes it's a little bit of a hassle to get them lined up just right. Once you get them latched, no issues coming open.

I have a pack of D'addario strings, a couple extra single strings, a tuner and a string winder and a baggie of extra rubber grommets in mine and it fits OK. The strings do sit at a little bit of an angle but it's not been a problem.

The worst experience I have had with it was at Swannanoa last year when I was jamming under a tent and a very heavy thunderstorm came through. I had the case on the ground in front of me thinking it would be out of the rain, but didn't realize how much water was going across the ground. The green case is NOT waterproof! The bottom of the case was soaked to the point that the padding inside and everything in the storage pocket was also wet.
    It took a couple of days of paper towels, fans, sitting out in the sun, etc. to get it dry. No long term problems.

Overall I still really like the case. It is NOT something you want to stand on or throw around, but it is so much lighter than my Calton. For local gigs or jams or carrying around at a camp, it's great.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

After reading above posts:

Hmmmm...

I love the look of those cases but it sounds like I would wait for at least a redesigned version 2.0. I hope Northfield and Jakob Winter are reading this thread. Obviously, the big advantage is more environmental and than practical. The latch line-up problem would be a real drag. And the fact that it sounds like it absorbs water. Granted most wooden cases would not do well if soaked in a rainstorm. And it doesn't sound like this ~$300 case is even all that protective.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

We bought a Recurve for my wife's Model M. The natural finish with the clear coat. Mostly like it but the outside surface does tend to take nicks quite easily and it is a bit heavier than she would like. I stuck with my Superior fiberglass for my NF A5.
    Northfield A5S "Grey Fox"
    Northfield Model M
    Weber Sweet Pea

The Recurve was a contender however I got a great buy on a NF Airloom Deluxe case. It has a gracious plenty of storage space, my Collings fits like a glove. The only thing I could say was a negative is the weight. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Looks like there is a new Airloom case coming out. There's a 4th Gen Artist model for sale at Elderly that comes with "Airloom Tūra Carbon Fiber case (new for 2022)." Seems like it could be a new version of the Recurv case but with a carbon fiber exterior instead of the the fabric exterior. No other info about it anywhere online that I can find.

For posterity:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthfieldRecurve.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	198701  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Wonder if it might replace the Airloom Deluxe which is currently out of stock on the Northfield website.

Sort of strange as Northfield usually announces things like that on social media.

A few fiddlers I know really like the violin Airloom because of the light weight.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

very interesting...
    My green recurve case is currently with a mandolin I have on consignment, so if it sells I will be looking to replace it with another lightweight option. I did keep the deluxe rectangle case my 4th gen came in. Love it, but it is heavy to tote around for something like a camp.
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    very interesting...
    My green recurve case is currently with a mandolin I have on consignment, so if it sells I will be looking to replace it with another lightweight option. I did keep the deluxe rectangle case my 4th gen came in. Love it, but it is heavy to tote around for something like a camp.
    I have two Bobelock cases that I use and like a lot. Reasonable storage - especially with the case cover. Light on the shoulder with a strap.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Will bump this thread and say am really happy with mine. Am using it with the Brentrup. Fits like a charm. Like that there is extra space above the bridge.

The new latches seem well designed. Seems like very little chance of them popping open once closed. The case also closes just fine without any needing to push things around.

As to the storage compartment. Right now have - 2 sets of strings, a couple of spare singles, polish cloth, 4 batteries, small container of picks, pocket knife, nail clippers and string winder. All easily fit. Strings are D'Addario that I take out of the cardboard and just keep in the plastic wrapper.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I'll add to my previous post about the Deluxe case being heavy.....I lugged that thing through the airports from Charlotte to San Francisco and walking around Benicia last month. HEAVY!!!!!! It did fit in the overhead storage bins but I was lucky on all flights to find space without luggage already in it.

I just picked up a beautiful amber finish F5S and it came with a grey Recurve, so I will be using that for my main local carrying around for now.

I swapped a couple of emails with Adrian and he has me on a wait list for the new carbon fiber case when they are ready.
    I did get a chance to check out one that Mike Marshall had and it was very nice. HALF the weight of the rectangular Deluxe and more storage than the Recurve.
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

28. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post: