Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Calton Cases - in pictures

Default Re: Calton Cases - in pictures

How's it doing so far as offgassing? Mine is nine months old now and it's only moderately dissipated. If I leave my F5 in the case for any length of time, the inside of the mandolin smells like a glue factory. I had tea bags down inside of it just last weekend trying to get the smell out. (And yes, I have contacted Calton but I haven't heard back yet.)
    Randy Mallory
    2020 Gibson Custom Shop F5 MSC Wide Nut (2020) David Harvey
    2022 Eastman MD515
    2022 Northfield NFO-AT1 Octave Mandolin
    and a few more....

I honestly cannot tell. I had Covid back in April and my ability to smell has only came back for certain things.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope everything gets back to normal soon. I will say Calton did contact me back and gave me suggestions to try and air it out. They've been nothing but helpful so far.
    Randy Mallory
    2022 Eastman MD515
    and a few more....

When I first got mine I left it sitting open in my music room for about 2 months. Initially, my whole room smelled like glue. By about 2 weeks in I had to put my head right over the open case to smell it. My mandolin went in after about two months. I can't smell the case anymore, and the smell of fresh nitrocellulose lacquer on my new mandolin is all I smell when I pull it out.

I lucked out I guess - when I got my Calton for my tenor banjo there was zero glue smell from day one!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

The previous Calton I bought (for a classical guitar) was bought from a dealer, not directly from Calton. I don't remember that one having a smell. My mandolin case came directly from Calton and did have a smell. I think there's some difference in airing-out depending on how you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdw View Post
    The previous Calton I bought (for a classical guitar) was bought from a dealer, not directly from Calton. I don't remember that one having a smell. My mandolin case came directly from Calton and did have a smell. I think there's some difference in airing-out depending on how you buy it.
    I'm not an employee or speaking in a definitive way for CC, but i am fortunate to own several cases over a good bit of time. It's my observation that in the last 'few' years Calton has taken a hard look at their cases in almost every aspect trying to improve them, and i believe they've accomplished that goal! I can date my Calton's to some degree by the handles they have, they've also looked at interior products as well.

In my experience, many things new have an odor that is directly connected to the materials and or the process of building the product. I do smell the interior of the case when i have a new one arrive. Over a reasonable amount of time (a few weeks) the smell disperses under what i would call 'typical' use, taking the instrument out fairly regularly. I like the strategy suggested in this thread about leaving the case open if possible for however long until you can no longer detect the inherent smell of a new CC. With the cases I own the smell of the interior is completely gone in a relatively short time.

One would think the manufacturer would clear the air before shipping.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    One would think the manufacturer would clear the air before shipping.
    Not at all..I love the smell of a new car - wouldn’t expect the car manufacturer to let it sit till smell completely dissipated. I like the new smell of my CC!

10. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

When you've been waiting for a custom case would you really want the maker to hold on to it after it was completed ... or would you rather have the case ... finally.? For me it'd be ship it fumes and all and i'll deal with it.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

12. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

I got this first hand from Calton, they now use an oven to totally dry the cases out before shipping - eliminating the offgassing. This is a process they have started within the last year. I sent my case back to them and they put it in the oven for a shift and now it's on its way back to me.
    Randy Mallory
    2022 Eastman MD515
    and a few more....

Registered User E.R. Villalobos's Avatar

I’ve been following this string from the sidelines. I just received the Calton I ordered in October when they were having their free finish upgrade promotion. I’m a frequent weekend traveler with the family and wanted a case I didn’t have to think about if it ended up at the bottom of the pile. The promotion also helped- “but they’re giving a free upgrade!”
    My case has a slight adhesive smell, but not bad. I’ve had it open and in sunlight for the last few days and it’s dissipating. My general observations are its one heck of a sturdy case. It’s also not as heavy or as large as I thought it would be, and I ordered backpack rings. It is an expensive case, but you do get what you pay for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6449524F-0B2E-4C65-81C2-8AAAC6CAE275.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	198567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1ECB426-C123-4552-A67B-0AF26694C022.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	198568  

Quote Originally Posted by E.R. Villalobos View Post
    I’ve been following this string from the sidelines. I just received the Calton I ordered in October when they were having their free finish upgrade promotion. I’m a frequent weekend traveler with the family and wanted a case I didn’t have to think about if it ended up at the bottom of the pile. The promotion also helped- “but they’re giving a free upgrade!”
    My case has a slight adhesive smell, but not bad. I’ve had it open and in sunlight for the last few days and it’s dissipating. My general observations are its one heck of a sturdy case. It’s also not as heavy or as large as I thought it would be, and I ordered backpack rings. It is an expensive case, but you do get what you pay for.
    Beautiful case congrats!

16. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

Nice Case. Colors look great together.

Adam

18. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

a custom case i ordered..pic in process @ CC facility in ATX and the finished product.

20. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

I’d been talking off and on with Calton for almost two years about the mando case re-design, and asking when it would be available in textured bronze glitter. I pinged them again in October when I saw the free color upgrade offer and—voila!—they were ready to make it. Received it about a month ago. Have had it sitting open indoors since, with a couple outdoor sunbaths, and the adhesive smell is all but gone. Very pleased finally to have a Calton case with generous clearance for the F5 peghead scroll and body points. Now if I could just lose this left-arm tennis elbow, dad gummit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2832 copy.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	199260

Name:	IMG_2836 copy.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	199261

Name:	IMG_2842 copy.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	792.3 KB 
ID:	199262

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Freeman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Hello Doug.
    I think the design that has enough space to fit the head scroll is wonderful. Then your Gil. fern is almost great .

24. The following members say thank you to masa618 for this post:

this case is for an OM size guitar i have...perfect match with this Honda!

26. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

purple smooth glitter...

28. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

100,000 views on this thread - fantastic!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maplebaby For This Useful Post:

Those cases are so tempting...

I looked long at hard at one for an upcoming trip, but the problem I have is I don't yet have a mandolin worthy of a case in that $ bracket, and if I did, well, the places I go, I wouldn't take such a nice mandolin to a place like that! (I do have a guitar that could justify a Calton, but I never take it anywhere - see previous sentence!)
    Last edited by keith.rogers; Jun-09-2022 at 1:09pm.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Those cases are so tempting...

I looked long at hard at one for an upcoming trip, but the problem I have is I don't yet have a mandolin worthy of a case in that $ bracket, and if I did, well, the places I go, I wouldn't take such a nice mandolin to a place like that! (I do have a guitar that could justify a Calton, but I never take it anywhere - see previous sentence!)
    hello Keith...thanks for the post. I hear you on care for your instruments. I'm 60 and have been playing and trying to play guitar since in was 14. At my age I use all my guitars, and Mando. I've had similar thoughts, protect this one, save it from ever looking 'used' in any way. For me I will always care for my instruments it's just part of who I am, but if I don't use them now then when? And if not the instruments I have, then should I by 'lesser' quality instrument to play and just museum the more expensive? If I don't enjoy my Insturments now someone else will when I'm gone. I can't say what's right for you but I would consider not looking at a case or an instrument is something that you maybe won't fully enjoy or needing 'to be worthy' of a nice case to protect it. Okay that's all from me today! your friend, dale.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maplebaby For This Useful Post:

bronze smooth glitter....

teal with silver interior.
    this is the "new" standard mandolin size with more space in the headstock region and thicker padding around the instrument body. nice color sends nice vibes when you use this case.

Name:	thumbnail_20220722_124343_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	202168

Name:	thumbnail_20220722_124412_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	202169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20220722_124332_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	202170

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post: