Thread: Mel Bay 200 Mandolin

Default Mel Bay 200 Mandolin

The title needs one more zero to make it "Mel Bay 2000 Mandolin".

This book is out of print and my search for a used one has failed miserably. What I'm looking for is the tab and chords to "Hearts and Flowers", a tune played by Joe Carr on Dan Huckabee's "Why is This Man Smiling?" dobro album. Gerald Jones wrote it (the first banjo player in the Texas based "Roanoke" band).

Does anybody have a copy of this book they'd like to sell me? Or a facsimile of the tune would do. It's a sweet little number that I'd like to get exactly right. There's a fun story why it was written in F#m.

Thanks...dan
    Last edited by dan in va; Feb-14-2020 at 5:32pm.

Default Re: Mel Bay 200 Mandolin

Hey Dan, it looks like it's included in this Mel Bay book. Check the contents tab.

https://www.melbay.com/Products/9837...-volume-1.aspx
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

You might have more luck with Google than your current search engine. I found lots of copies available by searching for 'mel bay "2000 mandolin"'.

Good luck!

Check yer PMs...

Explorer - Google is what i use most often, but I tried it again and one popped up.
    Don - As always, thanks for your help. It looks like MB has combined some of the old books and it's there.
    Alan - Thanks for the tip of it being on Joe Carr's Merlin book. You came thru big for me. You da man.

A few years back, i was looking for this tune and Dan Huckabee was kind enough to suggest that i contact Gerald Jones, who told me how it got written in F#m. Back in the day he was learning some Monroe mandolin tunes from vinyl. He thought some of that stuff was in F#m because the record player was a bit slow and lowered the pitch, while they were actually in Em. Turns out that F#m was a friendly key and what they were playing in anyhow, so H & F was written in that key. So if the turntable had been up to speed, i wonder if it would've been written in Em instead.

...or perhaps truly in Gm, so with a slowed down turntable, would flat the pitch to F#m. Regardless, glad you got that which you were seeking.

Alan, now that you brought it up, I think you're right and that's how it happened. Thanks...dan

Reminds of a similar story: When Herschel Sizemore's Bounce Away came out, I recorded the record off the radio via a local station's bluegrass show. I learned Fiddler's Creek, in A chord, off of that cassette tape and proudly showed my version to Herschel one time. He stopped me right there and said "Alan, the tune is in Bb!". What likely happened is the tape deteriorated over time and dropped the pitch 1/2 step.

Too wise.