Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Carlo Mazzaccara Lucia bowlback mandolin

Default Review: Carlo Mazzaccara Lucia bowlback mandolin

August Waters, an impressively credentialed contributor to Mandolin Cafe, discussed his Mazzaccara instrument at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/a.../t-117517.html. I am not aware of any other discussions of Carlo’s instruments, so I am hoping that this review of Carlo Mazzaccara’s Lucia mandolin will be helpful to bowlback aficionados new and old. Let me preface that I am the polar opposite of Mr. Waters in that I am a rank musical neophyte who just learns and plays for my own enjoyment. I have, however, followed a path of seeking out specific styles of mandolins for their unique tonal qualities and their “suitability” for classical music and feel I have had enough exposure to mandolins to feel comfortable offering a review. I now own a Lyon & Healy Model A and a Phoenix Neoclassical Euro III and have added this Mazzaccara bowlback as a third type of tonal quality.
    Several months ago I started doing research on bowlbacks beginning with Paul Sparks’ and Graham McDonald’s books. I explored Calace, Embergher, and other vintage mandolins as well as current bowlback luthiers. I decided, finally, on a modern bowlback and contacted Carlo Mazzacarra after reading Mr. Water’s comments and looking at Carlo’s numerous YouTube videos. I discovered that Carlo is a remarkably good communicator and a very fine human being. He operates his luthier business with great integrity and is a very fine builder. Although he advertises on Ebay, I encourage you to contact him directly at carlomazzaccara@oldmandolin.com and bypass Ebay.
    I asked Carlo to make some changes to the Lucia model I purchased and he was 150% accommodating. He then packaged the mandolin for shipping in a container, built by Carlo, that would put a Sherman tank to shame. The mandolin traveled from Italy to Massachusetts in only five days.
    The Lucia, to me, is absolutely gorgeous, has perfect intonation and playability, and a tonal quality which I love. Trying to describe tonal qualities with words is something I cannot do. However, I do own two superb instruments with unique tonal qualities and I believe Carlo’s Lucia model is unique yet on par with my Phoenix and Lyon & Healy.
    In brief, Carlo builds superb instruments at an excellent price point. He operates with integrity and is a thoroughly enjoyable person. I am 200% pleased with my Lucia!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88D71DC4-CA19-451B-AF37-5509A582980D.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	183747

Name:	D1346412-23D3-47B3-A281-0D2993B3C4A1.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	517.3 KB 
ID:	183748

Name:	9EB355B0-B0D9-4339-9B73-62C3511226D7.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	183749

Name:	5AE4995C-6ABF-46DA-9760-44CBC7563565.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	183750

Name:	D5C08321-B063-47A6-9844-B6F6D6023693.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	474.8 KB 
ID:	183751
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Feb-18-2020 at 10:36pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Review: Carlo Mazzaccara Lucia bowlback mandolin

Tim, that is a nice review. I have been admiring Carlo's mandolins for quite a while

4. The following members say thank you to Brian560 for this post:

Tim Logan: I don't think any of your photos show up, at least I can't see them.

OTOH we can go to Carlo's site. You can see the Lucia model here. He says there are also available in the US at Southern Strings but I don't see any for sale as yet.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

CHASAX 

Jim: They show up when I go to the post, so I am not sure what to say. Maybe other readers can let us know if they are having a problem. If so, then I will contact the Cafe to solve the problem. Brian560, are you seeing the six attachments? Thank you.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

No, I cant see the attachments

Hmmm.....Brian and Jim, I deleted and reloaded the images. Can you see them now? Thank you.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Look fine to me!

11. The following members say thank you to Mike Buesseler for this post:

I have admired Carlo's work for some time. He must be one of the world's preeminent classical mandolin makers. If I was a classical music player I too would be sorely tempted.
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

13. The following members say thank you to Anglocelt for this post:

Thank you for the review. Beautiful mandolin! I’ve admired his mandolins for a while now.

Enjoy it in good health and please feel free to share a recording of it if you can.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    Hmmm.....Brian and Jim, I deleted and reloaded the images. Can you see them now? Thank you.
    Yes, looking good. Beautiful photos.

A few questions:

You said you explored some vintage bowlbacks. Were you able to actually play some Emberghers, Calaces and Vinaccias or others of the most desirable ones? Did the high prices for the name brands scare you away or did you just find the ones you did play not what you wanted?

The other two mandolins you own are excellent and are considered by most players to best voiced for Thomastik strings. What strings are on your Lucia? I think August Watters (I believe he has two T's in his last name) strings his with Dogal Calace Dolce strings as mentioned in that 2015 thread you link to. Is that how yours is strung? I assume that Carlo M voices his mandolins to particular strings.

When I owned my Gabriele Pandini bowlback it came to me with Dogal Calace Medium strings and i always used them since I loved the way they sounded and I was used to hearing Carlo Aonzo play his with those strings.

You mention the tone in comparison with your L&H and Phoenix Neo-Classical. Do you mean they all sound similar or they complement the other two, as in add to the tonal palette you can choose from?

I am trying to figure out the design of this mandolin. From the photos it looks like a hybrid of Roman and Neapolitan styles. Romans would have triangular profiled necks with radiused fretboard and bar frets. This one looks like a flat fretboard but with bar frets and possibly a more rounded neck. Emberghers/Romans usually have a very narrow neck width at the nut sometimes even less than 1 inch. What does yours measure?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for sharing, Tim. I'm a sucker for fluted ribs.

Hi Jim -
    Pretty much due to my location (and laziness), I did not locate or play a Calace or Embergher. I took a gamble and relied on books, on-line audio and video recordings, and some exchanges with a few members of the Cafe’s classical mandolin forum. The individuals on this forum are pretty amazing BTW! I shied away from Embergher because of cost. Other vintage mandolins of interest were primarily located outside of the US and I was hesitant about trying to import items with rosewood et al. Many modern makers had horrendous multiple year waiting periods and often prohibitive pricing. It’s not the ideal way to buy a mandolin, but I believe I got lucky. Perhaps if I had played an affordable well restored Calace or Embergher, I would have a different opinion, but I am quite pleased with this mandolin.
    Carlo prefers Optima blue or green strings but says Dogal strings will do just fine
    Ooops......my apologies to Mr. Watters for spelling error.
    Each of the three mandolins I own, to me, has a distinct tone and feel. Their construction is different. This approach to owning multiple mandolins seems a bit different than buying several same style mandolins because of different cosmetics etc. (that statement alone could probably start a whole thread on its own LOL).
    If I am reading the caliper correctly, the nut measures a hair over 1 1/16”.
    If you would like other photos or measurements, please let me know.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

18. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

CHASAX 

The other question I meant to ask: what were the changes to the standard model you asked Carlo to change? I am just curious.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hi Jim -
    I asked him to make the armrest out of ebony...which is a significant change with that style of armrest (in my opinion). Carlo is amazingly great to work with. Just a really nice guy.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Excellent. I would love to see this beauty one day.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

BTW, the Lucia does well in the Eastman bowlback case.

Name:	C6C653E6-9074-4D4B-9E50-AA8FB5F3DC38.jpeg 
Views:	260 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	183800

Name:	41A6CD4D-8C76-421A-B52E-0D52B0DA8B91.jpeg 
Views:	208 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	183801

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I am happy to share that, for me, the bowlback took zero adaption time and is totally delightful to play. I share this for anyone who is considering their first bowlback! (BTWI posted this same statement on another thread as well).

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Jim Garber -
    Just a follow up: Having the “tinkering” gene, I put a set of Dogal Calace R92 mediums on the Lucia. They do create a noticeably different sound, to me, than the Optimas. I would say the Dogals are more mellow, fuller in tone. It’s hard to find words to describe the tonal differences, but that is my take. For my taste, I favor the Dogal sound. I really think the string choice here is simply what the player personally enjoys the most. Neither string set is the “correct” set.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I use Dogals on every bowlback that I own that is worth playing. I was surprised when I strung up my Vega Style 3 with the dolce set. I took it to a rehearsal a bunch of years ago and it sounded as good as any other bowlback I own. Crisp and sweet—dolce! I am not a fan of T-I flatwounds on any bowlback except the German ones that were voiced specifically for those strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I use Dogals on every bowlback that I own that is worth playing. I was surprised when I strung up my Vega Style 3 with the dolce set. I took it to a rehearsal a bunch of years ago and it sounded as good as any other bowlback I own. Crisp and sweet—dolce! I am not a fan of T-I flatwounds on any bowlback except the German ones that were voiced specifically for those strings.
    I was speaking with John Bernunzio on the phone last year and he said he used Dogal medios on his Gibson A (don't remember which model).

I haven't gotten around to trying that but look forward to it.

Dogal also makes a "half round" set, which I've never used. Not sure what the specs are on those in terms of tension.

Jim or Eug....have y'all ever tried those on something?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

The work of Carlo Mazzaccara looks interesting...

Name:	Carlo Mazzaccara_22046602_10214029173867680_6859691099235124701_n.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	190398

I have seen and eard one Liuto Cantabile from him which sound well with precision and good projection

Name:	Carlo Mazzaccara_10223834497914653_5248127183499646206_n.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	190399

It could be interesting to compare (benchmarking) with the model "Roman" - played by Julien Martineau - from Labraid

Name:	P1136319.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	190397

... waiting for news about
    Regards,
    Last edited by Irénée; Dec-09-2020 at 12:48pm. Reason: mistake

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irénée For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I was speaking with John Bernunzio on the phone last year and he said he used Dogal medios on his Gibson A (don't remember which model).

I haven't gotten around to trying that but look forward to it.

Dogal also makes a "half round" set, which I've never used. Not sure what the specs are on those in terms of tension.

Jim or Eug....have y'all ever tried those on something?

Mick
    Don't know about the half rounds—could they be like D'Addario flat-tops, roundwound strings ground flat?

I did try a set of Dogal RW92 medios on my long scale Lyon & Healy. They sounded all right but the silk on the tuner ends was too long and I had to scrape it off otherwise it would have dulled the open sound at the nut. Not sure it was worth the trouble.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I have not tried the Dogal half-rounds. Sorry.

I have RW92s on my L&H style A. As they've matured, I very much like the tone. However, while I do prefer that string set's mature tone, they're a little more "rattley" in context than the D'Addario EJ73s that came to me on it. It might benefit from a very fine bridge shim if I persist with the RW92s.
    Last edited by Eugene; Dec-10-2020 at 10:59am.

Quote Originally Posted by Irénée View Post
    The work of Carlo Mazzaccara looks interesting...

I have seen and eard one Liuto Cantabile from him which sound well with precision and good projection

It could be interesting to compare (benchmarking) with the model "Roman" - played by Julien Martineau - from Labraid

... waiting for news about
    Regards,
    Regarding Mazzaccara's work, I have never had the opportunity to handle one of his builds in person, but others do seem to justifiably attest to quality and functionality. However, I never quite "got" his personal aesthetic: too many sharp ornamental curves and points that don't seem to me to have an organic aesthetic sense, that don't fit the expectations ingrained by classic French-curve templates. His personal aesthetic strikes me as needlessly gaudy and somewhat lacking in grace. However, when he emulates others' work (e.g., Calace or his recent German-style builds), I think his pieces look very fine indeed.
    Last edited by Eugene; Dec-10-2020 at 9:40am.

35. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Regarding Mazzaccara's work..... I never quite "got" his personal aesthetic: too many sharp ornamental curves and points that don't seem to me to have an organic aesthetic sense, that don't fit the expectations ingrained by classic French-curve templates. His personal aesthetic strikes me as needlessly gaudy and somewhat lacking in grace. However, when he emulates others' work (e.g., Calace or his recent German-style builds), I think his pieces look very fine indeed.
    Well put, Eug. Sometimes less is, indeed, more.

Sometimes more is, indeed, more. Puglisi and Cristofaro are the ones, to my eye, who can go over the top (way over the top) and keep an 'organic design sense' intact. Calace, of course, (and I suppose Monzino) keep a multitude of curving lines and 2D and 3D shapes in harmony to rival any Art Nouveau architect.

They don't share the daredevil design sense of Puglisi, though. PReF crash and burn sometimes, but their design brio brings to mind Gio Ponti, Carlo Mollino and that orbit of Milanese designers.

When I was a student in architecture (pre Rhino, Revit, BIM) I traded in my French-curve templates for a set modeled on Marilyn Monroe's classic profiles. Staggeringly impolitic today, but at the time I believe they led my pencils to some good design work.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig