Thread: Royall Tenor Resonator

Question Royall Tenor Resonator

Has anyone seen/played a Royall Tenor Resonator?

https://royallguitars.com/product/ro...sh-brass-body/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tenor-Nickel-4-768x768.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	183746

Price is nice.

Thanks,
    Huck

2. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

Default Re: Royall Tenor Resonator

It looks more like a Plectrum Guitar. It appears to be a copy of National Plectrum Guitar from 1929-1932 https://reverb.com/item/4147100-1929...known-to-exist.
    I owned one of these National instruments. The neck was very narrow. I tuned mine to DGBE but I’ve been told that plectrum tuning would have been betterCGBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    It looks more like a Plectrum Guitar.
    According to the manufacturer - Tenor scale length of 23"

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I owned one of these National instruments. The neck was very narrow. I tuned mine to DGBE but I’ve been told that plectrum tuning would have been betterCGBD.
    1.5" nut so I'd imagine the neck wouldn't be too narrow.

My preferred tuning(s) would be along the lines of DGBD or GDGB (open G) or Octave Mandolin GDAE.

I would like to know how they play and sound, but they seem pretty obscure.

From Royall's website:

Description
    "Well, here’s a new addition to the Royall Resonator family. We sometimes have conversations with people who have great ideas for new models for us. We decided to take a stab at this one because of a few persistent people who are pretty sure the world needs TENOR resonators. We’ll soon find out. We don’t have a demo up yet, because none of us know how to play tenor, although we have discovered that this instrument sounds pretty great when tuned as a octave mandolin."

Royall Tenor Resonator

• Brass body with nickel finish

• Mahogany neck

• Blackwood fingerboard

• 23″ scale with 1-1/2″ nut width

• Hand spun aluminum Continental cone

• Vintage style tuners

• Vintage correct stick and pillar construction

I'm attracted to their "Parlorator" guitars:
    https://royallguitars.com/product-ca.../wood-parlors/

NR-P has yet to offer a parlor sized resonator but I've seen several of these PacRim companies offering similar models. Both my 1931 National Duolian and my 1997 NR-P Style 1 Tricone will fit in my wife's nicer classical guitar travel cases but sometimes I think it would be fun to have a resonator guitar with an even smaller profile that could still shine in an ensemble setting.

But my new Buckeye mandolin now serves this role even if I've yet to figure out how to adapt my Robert Johnson and Charley Patton repertoire in Open G to the mandolin.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

A new listing for a parlor sized tenor...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Royall-Nick...EAAOSwbkReelzA

Looks interesting, If they get the neck angle right it could be a cool instrument. I say that because years ago I got one of the Republic Highway tenors and it was barely able to make playable.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Mar-25-2020 at 3:01pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

7. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Harley Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    A new listing for a parlor sized tenor...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Royall-Nick...EAAOSwbkReelzA

Looks interesting, If they get the neck angle right it could be a cool instrument. I say that because years ago I got one of the Republic Highway tenors and it was barely able to make playable.
    They must have sold out!!! Not bad going in the middle of a financial crisis

3 teardrop tenor resonators listed on Reverb: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...tenor%20guitar and their website: https://royallguitars.com/product-ca...or-resonators/. Also, some they are calling long scale - 25".
    Last edited by Huck; Jun-21-2021 at 10:18pm.

10. The following members say thank you to Huck for this post:

mjbee 

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    3 teardrop tenor resonators listed on Reverb: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...tenor%20guitar and their website: https://royallguitars.com/product-ca...or-resonators/. Also, some they are calling long scale - 25".
    I have a 1928 National "teardrop" (tuned to octave mandolin tuning) that is a gem, but it is a tricone (as all but the very late 1928's were), not a single biscuit cone. The Royall instruments are replicas of the '28 Nationals, but are biscuit cones, so they will sound "brassier". If they are setup correctly (or could be), they might be pretty cool. If I didn't already have a gazillion instruments, I'd be tempted. $500 bucks? Free shipping? 30 day money-back guarantee (except for return shipping?) Wow: worth trying it out.

I bought on of these...gets here in a few days. I will restring and tune DGBE and offer my opinions. Hard case is going to be difficult to get, I think. I have ordered some tuning pegs cause, I'm sure the ones it comes with will be marginal. I had a Republic Hwy 49 that i've regretted selling so I'll see how it stacks up.
    Pono Bn4-1/Bn8-1 4&8 string. lattice braced tenor guitars
    Republic Hwy49 resonator tenor guitar/Regal(Harmony) tenor guitar
    Kerry Char baritone uke/Heritage baritone uke
    Kamaka baritone uke/Martin baritone uke
    Primrose baritone uke/Kelali baritone uke
    Harmony baritone uke/Burke baritone uke
    Hoyt custom 10" baritone banjo/ukulele
    Ode/Hoyt custom 11" model 33, 19 fret tenor banjo

Quote Originally Posted by john bange View Post
    I bought on of these...gets here in a few days. I will restring and tune DGBE and offer my opinions. Hard case is going to be difficult to get, I think. I have ordered some tuning pegs cause, I'm sure the ones it comes with will be marginal. I had a Republic Hwy 49 that i've regretted selling so I'll see how it stacks up.
    Looking forward to your assessment!

well, I didn't really know what to expect but it's here and I am very pleased...even the gig bag is good.
    the reso.has a great brassy sound. It is very similar to the Republic Hwy. 49...same volume. I installed a strap button and some Golden Age tuners. The original pegs were quite good but I changed them out anyway. I like the 1 3/8(or so) nut width and string spacing.
    I have a Crossrock CRW600L, hard case on order and I'll be ready to take it out of the house.
    The finish is nice and smooth. The neck is very comfortable with action I did not fell the need to alter. Other than a solid peghead, closing my eyes and playing it, it feel just like my Republic. I tuned mine DGBE.
    I think these instruments are good buys for the money
    Last edited by john bange; Jul-01-2021 at 2:15pm.
    Pono Bn4-1/Bn8-1 4&8 string. lattice braced tenor guitars
    Republic Hwy49 resonator tenor guitar/Regal(Harmony) tenor guitar
    Kerry Char baritone uke/Heritage baritone uke
    Kamaka baritone uke/Martin baritone uke
    Primrose baritone uke/Kelali baritone uke
    Harmony baritone uke/Burke baritone uke
    Hoyt custom 10" baritone banjo/ukulele
    Ode/Hoyt custom 11" model 33, 19 fret tenor banjo

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john bange For This Useful Post:

<Violates Forum posting guidelines>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jul-05-2021 at 4:47pm.

Quote Originally Posted by john bange View Post
    well, I didn't really know what to expect but it's here and I am very pleased...even the gig bag is good.
    the reso.has a great brassy sound. It is very similar to the Republic Hwy. 49...same volume. I installed a strap button and some Golden Age tuners. The original pegs were quite good but I changed them out anyway. I like the 1 3/8(or so) nut width and string spacing.
    I have a Crossrock CRW600L, hard case on order and I'll be ready to take it out of the house.
    The finish is nice and smooth. The neck is very comfortable with action I did not fell the need to alter. Other than a solid peghead, closing my eyes and playing it, it feel just like my Republic. I tuned mine DGBE.
    I think these instruments are good buys for the money
    Thanks for your comments. Convinced me to order one for myself.
    May I ask how you think about it a few months later?

Ok, my question is already answered, I realized. Just found the other thread on the Highway 49 reso tenor from Republic guitars…

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I got me a Dobro-style long scale (25"). It came in Chicago tuning, so different strings and some nut/saddle filing was in order for GDAE. You get used to the stretches after some time. It features in this video:
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

derbexfox