Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

Default Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

Looking for a flight case for a high end mando I have on order. I have an old calton that I love, but I think I want a new case for this mando.

I think I could make do if I could get one of those vintage collings cases, and use my old calton if I NEEDED a flight case. But this is a F style and I would like to avoid the old headstock too close to the hinges that used fo be an issue.

Hoffee seems great in theory, never had one in person to inspect

The new calton’s look great and I am familiar with them, seems like an easy win? Any differences I should know about? Will an old calton case cover by colorado case company fit a new calton?

I love the sleek look of the Pegasus cases, and the tartan... never seen one if those in person either, and I think they are a custom order? I have time though... are they as cool at they look?

Please share your thoughts and insights, feedback on latches, how the cases open and sit on the ground, pros and cons, I would like to consider all angles.

For reference I have a Hiscox case and the aforementioned old Canadian calton case, and I do like them both.

Thanks!
    DanG
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Default Re: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

Good luck making your choice ,they are all good very protective cases,you can’t go wrong with any of them .
    I have a old Canadian Calton and a new Auston Calton ,both awesome cases .
    I also have a Collings Case ,if you are just going around town that is the way to go ,it’s light as a feather ,beautifully made case

3. The following members say thank you to GreenMTBoy for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    I love the sleek look of the Pegasus cases, and the tartan... never seen one if those in person either, and I think they are a custom order? I have time though... are they as cool at they look?

DanG
    I have a shaped F-style Pegasus. I like it. Where it really counts (for me anyway) in a travel/flight case, it shines: Structurally strong, good fit (snug, but with good clearance) and very effective rubber seal. Secure latching mechanisms.

But... as with most shaped cases, there is not a lot of storage space. A cover is a must if you want to keep the smooth shiny exterior from looking beat up. And while the latches do a great job, there are a bunch of them (six IIRC). In those areas, I prefer the Presto (although you didn't ask about that one).
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

5. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

dang 

I have an old Calton and a new Hoffee. I like the calton better. The hoffee is both bigger and heavier, and not seemingly for good reasons. Also the gloss cost scratches if you glance at it. My wife bought that for me and I’ve been debating how to sell it without csusing marital issues.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sam Schillace For This Useful Post:

I have had Pegasus and Canada made Caltons. I like the Pegasus much better. It’s incredibly sturdy and protective. I especially like how the contour of the Pegasus conforms to the body and makes carrying it with the shoulder strap very comfortable. The Pegasus is not as bulky as the Hoffee.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

9. The following members say thank you to goose 2 for this post:

dang 

Due to 1 D ring on the hinge side of the case, I can carry my Peg comfortably on my back,
    with the wide leather strap across my chest..
    the other end clips onto one of rhe strap 'D' rings, its square rather than D shaped..

The behind the headstock storage space also protects against neck whiplash from dropping the case..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

11. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

dang 

Check out the new Calton Mandolin Case
    It is larger with lots more storage.
    It has the typical storage compartment under the neck and a storage compartment on the bottom end .
    If you need more storage it might be the way to go ,available in all their new colors !

13. The following members say thank you to GreenMTBoy for this post:

dang 

I dig this hard shell Presto flight case, from Down Under. Calton-like in looks, it features a lightweight carry, roomy (no touch) headstock area, a generous storage box, good neck support/ample cushioning and the F-5 does not move/wiggle, at all. Plus, the orange makes it stand out in a crowd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Presto2a.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	183895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Presto1a.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	183896  

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMTBoy View Post
    Check out the new Calton Mandolin Case
    It is larger with lots more storage.
    It has the typical storage compartment under the neck and a storage compartment on the bottom end .
    If you need more storage it might be the way to go ,available in all their new colors !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNFq679Z4VY
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Adams For This Useful Post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

If you choose the Hoffee, consider the "twist" latches Jeff offers.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

18. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

dang 

I have a Pegasus with a Colorado case cover. Easy to carry over my shoulder and I’ve never been questioned getting on a plane. Appears smaller than a Calton (I have 3) but about the same weight. Pegasus is the only case I travel with!
    I have a friend with a hoffee banjo case. It appears to be top quality and he really likes it. Never seen a hoffee mandolin case.
    Best of luck in your search

20. The following members say thank you to Homer Savard for this post:

dang 

There was a very nice Mark Leaf case in the classifides Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

22. The following members say thank you to Lane Pryce for this post:

dang 

I have a Calton for a Lyon & Healy; fit is perfect. I have a Pegasus for Gibson F4 mandolin. Both cases are quite protective, pretty heavy, and more or less shaped, so storage is limited. A rectangular case would have more storage room, but the extra weight would offset the utility.

I have a very early Mark Leaf guitar case for a Gibson Hummingbird. It is not quite as heavy as you might think, but it's no pleasure to lug around. I have a later model, lacking the vinyl exterior covering, fitting a Martin 00 size guitar. Likewise heavy. Both offer more protection that the familiar plywood/tolex cases, but again, the trade-off is the weight issue.

Interestingly enough, high-end violin cases, such as those made by Dimitri Musafia, are generally wooden, designed to protect the contents (not infrequently million-dollar Strad or Guarneri fiddles) by destruction of the case exterior before the energy of a blow can be transferred to the instrument within. They also suspend the fiddle, and are amply provided with silk to buffer the humidity levels, and insulated for thermal protection. Generally speaking, they are lighter thanthe fiberglass/resin cases for violins. The maker claims that these harder cases tend to transmit the force of a blow to the fiddle inside, while the case protects its own integrity.

I suspect that it's far from impossible to make a high-end mando case along these principles, which would result in adequate protection without the weight penalty. In fact, they may already exist, but are outside my experience/awareness.

24. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    The Pegasus cases are as cool as they look, yes. They're all custom order for your preference of outside color and interior, either solid color or Tartan plaid. What I like the most about them is how well they pack in a car or airline overhead due to the smallest-possible size, while still having enough interior compartments to hold a tuner, tuner batteries, and backup strings.

As for needing a cover to protect the looks, the heck with that! Just put stickers on it.

The photos below show a Pegasus I've had for around 6 years now without using a cover. You can see a few dings in the fiberglass gel coat if you look close, but it's pretty tough and that just shows you're getting your instrument out of the house to play with others.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pegasus-open-with-mando.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	183897

Name:	Pegasus-Case-Exterior.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	183898

Name:	Pegasus-Case-Compartments.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	483.1 KB 
ID:	183899

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Exclamation Re: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

I really like the look of the Pegasus case, but have never seen one in person. My son has a Canadian made Calton and it’s a workhorse that sees a lot of use. Great protection and provides peace of mind. It has stickers on it, so I guess that protects it from scuffs

I’ve seen a few Hoffee mandolin cases and they are beautifully made. More of a roundish shape compared to the Calton. Elegant and classy come to mind. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned.

How long is the wait for a Pegasus case once your order is placed? If your not in a rush ...
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

28. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

dang 

I have a Hoffee I purchased about three years ago. I like the case it seems strong, plenty of storage (for a case of this type), ample padding in the right places. I like the addition of the Thinsulate also. As a plus it looks cool. The only big draw back is like Ramparte stated they scuff and mark easily. In a situation where it was loaded and piled in with other gear it would probably not look so good after a short time. I think the Calton type finish would fare better in that situation.
    Happy hunting. There are a lot of cool cases out there these days.

Adam

30. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    How long is the wait for a Pegasus case once your order is placed? If your not in a rush ...
    You would have to contact Sam and find out what the current schedule is. When I ordered mine, it depended on whether you were on the front or tail-end of the current batch of orders to the fiberglass shop. If I remember right, it was something like 7 months until I got the case. Shipped from Scotland to the USA, no issues with the shipping.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

I have two caltons - one older Canadian one and one new Austin model. I also have a Presto and I can state that either of the Caltons is much better. The leather handle is uncomfortable, the latches are sketchy and the shell itself has some flex points that make me very nervous. The fit is also not that great after padding wears. Probably better that a big box music store case, but i would easily spend the additional $$ on an instrument i value highly.
    Last edited by Tempotantrum; Mar-01-2020 at 12:14am. Reason: emojis are dumb
    Duff F5 #200
    Kimble A5 #143
    Preston Thompson DMA - 2016
    Gibson RB4 - Greg Rich era

34. The following members say thank you to Tempotantrum for this post:

dang 

Blog Entries

I think that they are all excellent cases. I went with the Hoffee. I think it is the most likely to survive being tossed out of a pickup doing 55mph. I have zero science to support that, but his videos were great, and eventually you have to make a decision. I like the room around the headstock, room for strings, tuner, humidifier. I like the Thinsulate. I like the way it seals so well that you can't flip it open with one hand. (I remember reading a post that complained about his Hoffee being like that. Pay $700-800 for a flight case and complain that it is air tight?) I picked a white one because it is cool; cool to my eyes, easy to spot in my hand or someone else's, and is cooler in the sun than a black one. It shows every scrape and scar. That doesn't bother me as it is covered in stickers (so much for cooler in the sun). What I don't like are that it is not nearly as cool looking as a Pegasus and it is heavy. By comparison, your Hiscox weighs nothing.

36. The following members say thank you to Bill Baldridge for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Adams View Post
    What's the price on these new ones? close to $1200?

I had not seen that video or the new config with an extra storage box. Looks interesting. Too bad a top-down view wasn't provided to check out the headstock clearance situation.

I really like my Hoffee. It seals like a submarine, is secure like a fortress and is really classy looking. I've not seen others mention that the Hoffee has tiny shiny sparkles deep in the clear finish that really look good. The clear finish (blue tinted on mine) leaves the carbon fiber cloth visible. This lets you see how nicely it was laid up. Really a first-class job.

While they do scratch easily, they also polish out easily. I have had mine for a few years and it still looks brand new.

The storage space is more than adequate for extra strings, tuner, pick box etc. it is a good wide space.

The cushioning is what really seems quite different from other cases I've had. It is made of a material that is firm and squishy at the same time. Seems as if it would really absorb the force of an impact, protecting the instrument very well. I seem to recall a video of an egg being repeatedly thrown into a Hoffee case and not breaking on impact. I found it pretty convincing.

The support is designed such that an impact would not put any pressure on the bridge area. The neck support is very long, thereby protecting against the neck snapping on impact. My main instrument is held very snugly with no movement at all.

I got caught in a torrential downpour with mine while on foot. Absolutely no water entered the case. Not even dampness. Nothing.

I haven't read all the postings in this thread, but I think I saw a Hiscox mentioned. I had one and it was a good case, but not anywhere near the case a Hoffee is. Not even close. The Hiscox is good for the price, if you don't mind the rectangular bulk of it. It also has lots of storage. But to my mind, it doesn't compare at all to the Hoffee. The Hoffee seems practically bomb-proof.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

addamrdang 

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I dig this hard shell Presto flight case, from Down Under. Calton-like in looks, it features a lightweight carry, roomy (no touch) headstock area, a generous storage box, good neck support/ample cushioning and the F-5 does not move/wiggle, at all. Plus, the orange makes it stand out in a crowd.
    I too have a Presto, purchased from Paul Duff at Monroe Camp last fall. Paul said at the time they were no longer being made. Love it and glad to have snagged one. Mine is white—being a Clemson grad, I would have liked that orange!
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    I too have a Presto, purchased from Paul Duff at Monroe Camp last fall. Paul said at the time they were no longer being made. Love it and glad to have snagged one. Mine is white—being a Clemson grad, I would have liked that orange!
    Do you mind me asking how much was the Presto? Better value than the others?

I paid $300, but that seems to be $100 or so cheaper than what used ones typically sell for.
    Russ Jordan