Thread: binding separating

Default binding separating

The binding has come loose on about a 2 inch section on the back side of the top point of my F5. This is a 20+ yr old mando, but a newer instrument for me and was this way when I got it. I think it is stable and has been like this for a good while is my guess. It's hard to see the actual amount of separation, I colored the are red to highlight. At the biggest, you can just squeeze the corner of a business card in. What is the proper repair. I'm hoping that it's possible to reattach with glue, etc. I'm not going to attempt a repair . . . should I just leave it alone and observe . . . if it's likely to grow, seems like sooner rather than later is prudent. If the stress is relieved and it's now forever stable, what? It doesn't bother me, I'm pretty sure it's cosmetic and not structural. Interested in your thoughts and advice, thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1121.PNG 
Views:	138 
Size:	546.5 KB 
ID:	183964

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1122.PNG 
Views:	131 
Size:	622.3 KB 
ID:	183965

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Default Re: binding separating

Definitely not structural I would say, but binding has several functions, one of which is to protect the end grain of the wood. I would get it fixed.
    We few, we happy few.

The binding has shrunken and pulled out of the curve. It cannot be successfully glued back long term unless it is made longer again. It can be stretched with heat, or a small piece can be added after cutting the binding. To repair it and make the repair minimally visible will take someone with some experience with this sort of repair and possible finish touch-up.

Teacher, repair person

Ditto John.

I'll add that I have seen many folks [including some repair shops] make a mess of this sort of repair. If they don't know how to mask it and what kind of glues to use, you end up with finish damage.