Thread: Excessive ringing on D-strings after fretting, like a pull-off

Default Excessive ringing on D-strings after fretting, like a pull-off

I've noticed a problem that's driving me crazy. When I'm playing a fretted note on the D strings, after I lift my finger I get a ringing of the note D, similar to what you would get with a pull-off. I've tried lifting my finger as gently as I can, thinking it might be my technique, but to no avail. This doesn't happen on any of the other strings, only when I'm fretting on the D strings. Any ideas how to fix this?
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2017 Briar Road 3-point archtop
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Default Re: Excessive ringing on D-strings after fretting, like a pull-of

Sometimes when you play notes on the D string, the G string will resonate in sympathy, might be worth checking.

If you want the note to choke off when you take off your finger, then you need to actually leave your finger in (gentle) contact with the string to damp it. If you damp the string with your left hand fingers after you play the fretted note, what happens? What happens if you damp the other strings?

3. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

joni24 

David, thanks so much for your reply. You're right, if I damp the string (and also if I damp the other strings) I don't get the ringing of the open D-string. But there are situations where this isn't possible or convenient. For example, in our band I play the intro for a song using the following notes: E F# (on the D string) A B C# D (on the A-string) E (open) etc... This sequence is played very fast, over the A-chord. However, the second that I lift my finger off the F# to get to the C#, I get a ringing of the open D, which does not fit with that A-chord. The best way I can describe it is like what would happen with a pull-off, but I'm not actually doing one. This just started happening... I have a feeling my mando needs tweeking but I'm not sure just how.
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2017 Briar Road 3-point archtop
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Weird. My best guess would be something is going on with the grooves of the bridge or the nut, like maybe the string is catching on and pinging off a tiny shelf or double groove causing the extra note. Others may have better suggestions.

6. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

joni24