Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario's new Chris Thile signature mandolin pick

Default D'Addario's new Chris Thile signature mandolin pick

I recently got in one of the new Chris Thile signature mandolin picks from D'Addario (Model 2CA7-01CT), which are currently retailing for $25 apiece. That's fairly expensive for a single pick, but it's about 30% less than the Chris Thile model CT55 pick from BlueChip, which retails for $35. Here's a side-by-side comparison photo of the two (click on the photo to zoom in):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAddario CT Blue Chip CT55 comparison.jpg 
Views:	926 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	183976

These two picks are very nearly identical in every respect, except for the material and the color. The D'Addario pick is made from casein (the main protein found in milk), whereas the BlueChip pick is made from polyimide (Meldin), an expensive 'space age' plastic. These two picks are the same thickness (0.055" for the BC = 1.4 mm for the D'Addario). They are also the same shape and size. The have the same right-hand "speed bevel" on the edge.

It appears that Chris Thile is donating his share of the royalties from pick sales to the D'Addario Foundation, which gives out grants to sponsor greater access to music education in communities and schools. A most worthy cause. This is what the package for the D'Addario CT signature pick says (click on photo to zoom):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAddario CT Pick label.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	183977

I would expect the D'Addario pick to wear out faster than the BC pick, simply because polyimide is nearly unmatched in its ability to resist abrasion from strings -- but I haven't had the D'Addario pick long enough to detect any wear at all, so this is early days. Experience of other picks made from casein, e.g., from Red Bear, also suggests that the edge of a casein pick does not last as long as one made from polyimide, although it can usually be polished, as necessary. Casein might also be somewhat more breakable than polyimide, but then, I've never had a pick break on me.

Other than that, are there any salient differences? In my hands, the D'Addario pick comes off the strings extremely well, with very little friction -- just like the BC, in fact. It also shows a similar tendency to stay put in my grip, presumably due to the smooth, polished surface.

Just about the only real differences that I could detect, in about an hour of playing, were in the tone and in the pick stiffness. I would describe the D'Addario pick as being ever-so-slightly more "bendy" (flexible) in the hand when striking the strings. Also, the tone of the D'Addario pick is somewhat brighter, with the BC pick being a tad bit darker. As for pick click, neither of these picks is very "clicky," in my opinion, and I could scarcely tell a difference.

One other pick that's quite similar to both of these is the Dunlop Primetone triangle pick at 1.4 mm (model 513R1.4), which is made of polyetherimide (Ultex), and costs less than $2. It has just about the the same size, shape, thickness, and bevel. However, in my hands, the Primetone exhibits significantly more friction on the strings, is less durable, and sounds comparatively "dead" against either the BC or D'Addario pick.

Of course, picks are very personal items, and I would be curious about the reactions of other Mandolin Cafe members who've tried out the new D'Addario CT pick and would be willing to share their experience, with comparisons to competing alternatives.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: D'Addario's new Chris Thile signature mandolin pick

I think there's a couple threads. Maybe just this one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...D-Addrio-picks
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

Quote Originally Posted by bradeinhorn View Post
    I think there's a couple threads. Maybe just this one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...D-Addrio-picks

Well, that thread title didn't even manage to spell "D'Addario" correctly (makes searching hard)!

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Well, that thread title didn't even manage to spell "D'Addario" correctly (makes searching hard)!
    yup! not at all on you...
    www.bigdrawbluegrass.com

Voight A-5
    Bayard GBOM

Blog Entries

I appreciate the post! I didn't know about this fun option. I do have the BC version (the CT55) but it would be something to think about with the signature printed on it and the contribution to charity. Thanks for pointing this out!

My present favorite is the Blue Chip SR60. I like the rounded corners. And there is an under $2 version from Dunlop Primetone -- the smooth version. Works almost identically. I tried it first to make sure I would like the more durable and slightly better sounding BC SR60. Honestly, I bought the second BC for the enjoyment and had my name put on it. The Primetone would have sufficed. Listen to Barron Collins-Hill of Mandolin Lessons. He uses the large triangle 1.5 version of Primetone (the size and thickness of the BC CT55) that he makes great music with!
    Last edited by lflngpicker; Mar-07-2020 at 6:14pm. Reason: more info
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I might have to try the D'Addario - I have tried other casein picks and like them almost as well as BC, although the Chris Thile is thicker than I prefer. I like the donation to charity, even though my preferred pick thickness is less than 1mm. But it is worth a try.

8. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

I like the new pick a lot, but after playing awhile with a couple guitar players, I'm back to the BC Ct55. Sounds great playing solo at home though.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Like a lot of others I have tried a running cornucopia of picks,changed my mind about some of them over time,gone back
    and forth on what I prefer.

I like Wegens,BC,Red Bear casein etc. The amount and shape of the bevel is important to me.

Right now I really like the Dunlop Primetone 1.3mm semi-round enough to want to try the same material in another shape.
    They really do give the more expensive designer picks some stiff competition.

12. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Default Re: D'Addario's new Chris Thile signature mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post

Right now I really like the Dunlop Primetone 1.3mm semi-round enough to want to try the same material in another shape.
    They really do give the more expensive designer picks some stiff competition.
    I think the 1.4mm version gives the designer picks even stiffer competition than the 1.3mm.

Sorry, couldn’t resist that.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Welna For This Useful Post:

I like the black Wegen picks in general, because they have a darker tone than the white ones.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    I like the black Wegen picks in general, because they have a darker tone than the white ones.
    Going a bit more off topic - we actually debated that over on Flatpick-L back in the day. As in when the now bluegrass picks were first made. I prefer white as they are easier to find when dropped.

Tried the DA CT pick a bit more over the weekend at the local festival. It's a good pick, but don't feel my mandolin has as much cut when using it. Mainly noticed in bigger jams. Ended up going to a Dunlop or Wegen for most things. Am still not giving up on it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

18. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    I fixed the spelling of D'Addario in that thread so it would be found via search easier.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Just got one of these, and I really like it.
    I usually use a BlueChip CT55, and love it, but this D'addario casein pick is great too.

The D'addario is a bit brighter in tone, which works wonders on my Northfield engelmann topped Artist model, which tends to be quite dark.
    I have tried other casein picks and found them to have a glassy clicky tone, but this one does not.
    It's attack on the string is very similar to the BlueChip.

Personally, I think the pick that is right depends on the mandolin it is used on.
    I prefer the BlueChip on my other mandolins, as it tones down the brightness a bit on the upper courses.
    For my Northfield, I think I will stick with the D'addario for a while.
    It is really enjoyable to get new tones out of it.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

22. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Ordered the D'Addario Thile pick from Sweetwater a couple weeks back. Still waiting.

Anybody know the availability status of these.

Waiting to hear back from Sweetwater.

24. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Sweetwater emailed me that they are "waiting on an ETA from the manufacturer..." They said they are on order but not sure if the order has been filled yet.

I filter that out as saying they really don't know what the availability status of these picks might be right now.

At least they got back with me.

I just know a pick made from some kinda cow-cheese, from my favorite string maker with a mandolin genius' signature on it is going to make me a better picker.

No-brainer.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snake-oil-1940s-advertisement-Nov-2019-1180-720-580x358.png 
Views:	215 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	185905  
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

A bit too thick for my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Link did't twerk for me.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Link did't twerk for me.
    The link refers to an ad I put up for two CT casein picks. They sold very quickly and I deleted the ad.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

32. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Sweetwater had a shipment in. I ordered two . They are a casein pick. No more no less. Good tone with very little pick noise and slightly more difficult to hang on to than a B.C. One of my many bad habits is to put a pick in my mouth when turning pages or operating a mouse. That is a no go for sure. But yeah very close to natural shell and a good stand in for it. Kudos to C.T. for donating his cut. What next for D'Addario…. a B.C. type pick? Time will tell...…. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I know it's just another casein pick. Probably not any better than a Primetone.

Still want one.

Looking forward to not liking it.

I just received my new Chris Thile casein 1.4 mm pick. I really like the smooth play and sound that it produces. One question. The pick is not flat, but concave. Not a lot, but enough to "rock & roll" a bit when laid on one side. Is the pick supposed to be concave?

Thanks.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Brad View Post
    I just received my new Chris Thile casein 1.4 mm pick. I really like the smooth play and sound that it produces. One question. The pick is not flat, but concave. Not a lot, but enough to "rock & roll" a bit when laid on one side. Is the pick supposed to be concave?

Thanks.
    Mine is flat as I'm sure it should be. However, I've heard that Casein over time when warm molds and shapes. I'm guessing it was stored improperly???

Chris tried to steal my Gibson once, so I'm not buying his pick. : )

1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg