Thread: New Stiver Mandolin in 5 weeks!

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default New Stiver Mandolin in 5 weeks!

Returning home from Florida in 5 weeks and then the 70 mile drive to Mr. Stiver to pickup my new mandolin and hopefully forever put an end to my MAS.
    Sold my much enjoyed Coliiings MT in September to fund my new long awaited Stiver. I have wanted a Stiver for several years and finally pulled the trigger at my wife's urging. Time slows and anticipation grows when awaiting a new mandolin.
    My upgraded Kentucky KM-950 has served admirially well while waiting for my Stiver and will likely do it's last public appearance (but still a keeper) March 14th in Lakeland Florida afterwhich we begin our slow travels home.
    Just had to share my excitement!
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Mar-05-2020 at 4:06pm.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Stiver Mandolin in 5 weeks!

I’m sure you’ll be happy with it, and you won’t miss the Collings.

I’ve owned a lot of cool mandolins... Brentrup, Givens, Collings, Flatiron, Ellis, Silverangel... on and on.
    But as you can see from my signature, I’m down to one mandolin and I doubt I’ll ever buy another.
    The Stiver is simply excellent for any style of music from bluegrass to classical. It’s all you need.

Word of advice: compared to other mandolins, my Stivers (I’ve owned 3 at various points) go to sleep faster than other mandolins and really need hard play to open up fully. And they take a few years to really open up. Play it hard and play it every day!

I live in Pittsburgh as well and I love making the trip to see Lou. His little town is like a trip back in time. And if you ever need work done, he is fast and cheap and the work is perfect.

Well, keep us updated! I’m excited to hear a sound clip!
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

4. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

Lakeland used to be a great place to live. I’ve not been there in nearly twenty years.

I’ve never heard of Stiver, being a noob. Any website?
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Blog Entries

You will certainly love the mandolin. Same brand played by Jesse McRenyolds I would assume most of his career and on most of the Jim and Jesse records. I played (and attempted to work out a trade) on an 80's Stiver that I must say I wanted pretty bad. The deal did not go through and I left IBMA without the mandolin. I've played on a couple of his new ones and if your comparing this to a Kentucky well my friend your in for a shock. A really good shock that is! Professional grade mandolin for sure.

I'm sure that did not help your anticipation

7. The following members say thank you to Stephen Cagle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Returning home from Florida in 5 weeks and then the 70 mile drive to Mr. Stiver to pickup my new mandolin and hopefully forever put an end to my MAS.
    Sold my much enjoyed Coliiings MT in September to fund my new long awaited Stiver. I have wanted a Stiver for several years and finally pulled the trigger at my wife's urging. Time slows and anticipation grows when awaiting a new mandolin.
    My upgraded Kentucky KM-950 has served admirially well while waiting for my Stiver and will likely do it's last public appearance (but still a keeper) March 14th in Lakeland Florida afterwhich we begin our slow travels home.
    Would you consider a wife swap. Mine has one careful owner.

That’s really cool Bill! Lou makes a beautiful instrument, it will perform for you for many years! Enjoy it.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

10. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I have Stiver, you are going to enjoy it! They play so easy. I am not sure why but they play easier than other mandolins. I have tried and owned several others brands. I also had a Collings MT which was very good. I just remember my mandolin instructor when asked which mandolins were worth considering immediatly mentioned Stiver. I was lucky enought to purchase one. Oustanding fit and finish, great tone and like I mentioned before easy playablility.

12. The following members say thank you to Philsf51 for this post:

4 and change