Thread: Martin mandolin case

Default Martin mandolin case

I remember reading a thread where someone was looking for a case to fit a Martin mandolin with the bent top. I can't find it in a search, and I can't remember which case was recommended. I have a Martin with side damage in for repair, almost done, and the owner wants a better case than his gig bag. Thanks for any help.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Default Re: Martin mandolin case

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I remember reading a thread where someone was looking for a case to fit a Martin mandolin with the bent top. I can't find it in a search, and I can't remember which case was recommended. I have a Martin with side damage in for repair, almost done, and the owner wants a better case than his gig bag. Thanks for any help.
    To make a long story short, there isn't one. That's why whenever one pops up on the web somebody buys it. Everything will be larger.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks Mike that's what I remembered, was hoping to find something that might work. I am luck mine came with a 50's hard shell case.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Thanks Mike that's what I remembered, was hoping to find something that might work. I am luck mine came with a 50's hard shell case.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone made a case to fit the Martin style A they could probably sell 10 or 15. I'm pretty serious about the numbers. If I'd known how rare the cases were I would have held onto a few over the years.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I bought a case from Elderly that, sadly, they no longer carry. It is a tweed pattern, simple A-shaped case that's probably ideal for Gibson A mandolins, but a little large for my 1920 Martin bent-top A. It is deep enough to accommodate the bent top. The solution is to make some fiberfill stuffed tubes to go between the body and the inside walls of the case. If the case is too deep, pad a piece of cardboard and cover with fabric.

Here is a reasonably priced case at Elderly that might fit the bill if you (or somebody you know) is handy with sewing and stuff.

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...-mandolin-case
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple