Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

Default Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

I just had two gigs cancelled for this Saturday. I organize a band that plays a St. Patrick's Day show every year, and as part of our "world tour" we play at a number of retirement/nursing facilities in town. Yesterday, all of those facilities implemented a no social visitors policy in the midst of the Covid-19 outbreak.

While it's sad to miss the show, I completely understand the need to protect some of our most vulnerable neighbors from sickness.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Tom
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

Default Re: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

The BMG have had to cancel their Festival in Edinburgh as the venue pulled out. It's a school so understandable.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Blog Entries

We have had our bluegrass cruse group cancel for next week. My wife and I and two bandmates were going to be jam hosts. Note: the cruise itself wasn't cancelled, but the bluegrass group and an associated QOV group have cancelled. For us it's complicated by my son and his wife who were flying out from Ohio for the cruise. They are still flying out (as of this time anyway), so we'll be having some very casual, unscheduled visiting time.

The cruise line is freely issuing cruise credits for any passengers who have cancelled during this time, so we'll try again.

Cruse lines, airlines (for long trips in particular) and retirement/nursing/convalescent facilities are the most likely incubation sites for this kind of virus, so it's understandable for them. But having ties to the healthcare community, the prevailing impression is that at least at this time people are over-reacting. The news media is blowing up everything related to Corona disproportionately. The public is hoarding toilet paper (!!!) and paper masks and making those resources hard to get for medical institutions. Outdoor events and occasions are being cancelled unnecessarily...

If people were aware of the yearly death toll due to the common flu, or due to many other everyday things, Corona would be seen as insignificant. But right now, it's where all the money is going, and everyone wants to monetize it.

The hospital where my wife works is simply saying: Wash your hands! Wash your hands! Wash your hands!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    If people were aware of the yearly death toll due to the common flu, or due to many other everyday things, Corona would be seen as insignificant. But right now, it's where all the money is going, and everyone wants to monetize it.
    Statements of fact about the future are never wise IME, especially when the data is far from settled.

I'd rather be careful and wrong than ignore it and be wrong.

Given it's about to be spring break in the schools around here and lots of people are travelling, we will know within a month whether it shows up en masse here.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Markus For This Useful Post:

The flu is manageable as there are vaccines, medications, and some built up immunity in strong, healthy individuals. Corona is like the flu 100 years ago - unknown impact and duration and until they get a handle on it it pays to err on the side of caution. I am glad to see people washing their hands more...such a simple task done so infrequently and poorly.

Sorry about your gig, I was shocked when I saw Ireland cancelled St. Patrick’s Day activities...now, thats taking it seriously.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

===========

I have had a number of my shows cancelled over the years for 'Health and Safety' reasons . . . the promoters were afraid that once I started playing, there would be a stampede for the exit, and people could get hurt . . . .

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

New England Folk Festival (NEFFA), which has been held for more than 75 consecutive years, is canceled; it was scheduled Apr. 24-26. I was booked for a couple workshops there, as I have been for 23 years or so.

We don't have a vaccine for COVID 19, and won't for at least a year, per Dr. Fauci. It spreads more quickly than the flu, apparently, and really is dangerous for older people, and those with compromised immune systems. I do the large majority of my performance work in senior institutions; no cancellations so far, but a bunch of "If you have symptoms, please don't come and play here" e-mails.

People tend to err on the side of caution. Frustrating, sometimes, but understandable. I'd rather put up with the over-cautiousness, than have people put themselves and others at risk. The epidemic will pass, we'll come up with vaccines and targeted treatment drugs, and our frustrations over short-term inconvenience will be behind us.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Trogers, I see you are in Southeast Iowa. I am currently in the East Central part of the state, where my mother passed away earlier in the week. As of today the retirement community where she lived is restricting entrance to the buildings that house the more fragile populations, checking visitors' and employees' temperatures, canceling group activities, etc. I'm sure if your band was scheduled here, they would have canceled your gig. It is an abundance of caution, maybe or maybe not necessary, but they are unwilling to take any risks. As they should be. This virus is very dangerous for older people, even those who are healthy and active.

The college I attended (a long, long time ago) is closing for spring break and not reopening for the rest of the semester, as is happening across the nation.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

My Celtic group is supposed to play at a senior center in about an hour, but they cancelled all events through April.

The new normal.
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

Our little volunteer group performs weekly at the local rest home. We received word today that the facility is closed to visitors indefinitely. A prudent move, says I.....
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    Trogers, I see you are in Southeast Iowa. I am currently in the East Central part of the state, where my mother passed away earlier in the week. As of today the retirement community where she lived is restricting entrance to the buildings that house the more fragile populations, checking visitors' and employees' temperatures, canceling group activities, etc. I'm sure if your band was scheduled here, they would have canceled your gig. It is an abundance of caution, maybe or maybe not necessary, but they are unwilling to take any risks. As they should be. This virus is very dangerous for older people, even those who are healthy and active.

The college I attended (a long, long time ago) is closing for spring break and not reopening for the rest of the semester, as is happening across the nation.
    Very sorry about your mom Louise.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

18. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

I am truly sorry for your loss.

20. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Louise NM, sorry to hear of your loss.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

22. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I'm in Dubai, MD'ing a show ("La Perle").
    (NMC? Nope I play a Mann SEM-5 in the show. And another guy plays a fretless double-course Turkish banjo (no idea how that's tuned) and mandola (DADA, I believe).)

Anyways, the show's closing for all of April and most of May – tourism is understandably at an all-time low here, and the busloads of Chinese tourists have disappeared.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

The regular local Friday night jam was just cancelled "for the remainder of the month". I suspect probably longer than that . . .

Pay attention to the public health experts: use your common sense when you go out, give up shaking hands for now, wash your hands frequently and expand your personal space where possible. Plan ahead in case it gets worse, the science and statistics at this point indicate it's very likely.
    Clark Beavans

25. The following members say thank you to tree for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post
    The regular local Friday night jam was just cancelled "for the remainder of the month". I suspect probably longer than that . . .

Pay attention to the public health experts: use your common sense when you go out, give up shaking hands for now, wash your hands frequently and expand your personal space where possible. Plan ahead in case it gets worse, the science and statistics at this point indicate it's very likely.
    Sane advice. Panic is unwarranted. A lackadaisical attitude is also unwarranted. This virus is officially considered a Pandemic per World Health Organization Announcement this morning. The precautions being taken are necessary to controlling it. Time for wood shedding for a while.
    https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/deta...-11-march-2020
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

The Duo Lynx was booked for today at the Stanford Hospital Bing concert but we got cancelled late Monday eve. We had a great show prepared with newly discovered Mezzacopo tunes, original tunes and a new, (for us) Mozart sonata for piano and mandolin. OKOK! Mozart wrote if for piano and VIOLIN but it really rocks with the mandolin...Wolfie probably would have used a mandolin if he thought about it.

Alexis and I went for a long walk instead!

Billy
    billypackardmandolin.com

See and hear 4 videos by The Duo Lynx on youtube, cue in...
    The Duo Lynx
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Packard For This Useful Post:

ajhdhergert 

Louise, i'm sorry to hear about your mother. I lost my mom, at 97, last year.

The fact that Covid 19 hasn't come up on the Forum till today shows me that people aren't panicking. Life is normal in my city, though our first case was announced today -- no runs on the stores or anything like that. As a member of two vulnerable groups, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, I appreciate that people generally are making an effort to avoid spreading illness (apparently, flu has gone down here since the increased hand washing, staying home when ill, and touch avoidance started). Large international gatherings are being cancelled and old folks homes are hunkering down, but most musical events are still happening. I'm keeping informed, but haven't avoided any communal activities so far. I don't think the health experts have much stake in misleading us about the risks, though I keep thinking of the Simpsons with the TV newscaster announcing, "The editorial board of this station has decide it's now time to panic." I'll wait for that announcement before running amuck. At my age, I've survived a great many health scares, but I'll be cautious with this one.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Louise, I am in Cedar Rapids. There have been two cases identified in Johnson County (Iowa City). The Veterans Hospital there has police checking people at the entrances today. I expect that the university hospital and the other local hospital have the same precautions. My daughter manages a hospital lab in Council Bluffs/Omaha area. There was one case out there identified that became six overnight as other people the patient exposed were identified. There may be more now. Omaha has one of the few NIH level 4 containment units in the country where a couple of initial cases were sent also. The hospitals in that metro area are all on lockdown. My daughter feels that there is a lot of overreaction.

I am due to play at a cancer care center in Cedar Rapids tomorrow but may have to tell the band I cannot because of a cold if I am not better in the morning. I have not heard anything about the gig being cancelled but should check.

Sorry to hear of your loss

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Our bluegrass band - Pejepscot Station - was set to play an iconic event marking Maine's Bicentennial - a Baked Bean "Suppah" this Saturday at Bowdoin College in Brunswick. 500 tickets sold in advance. We even "bluegrassified" the Maine State Song. But, this morning we learned the college is closing down and all campus events are canceled. We're hoping the event gets rescheduled once the crisis passes just so we can see red hots and veggie dogs served in close proximity!

The duo I'm part of - Pine Ridge Ramblers - provides lots of free music for nursing homes, and those are evaporating as well.

But, this is all happening out of caution for the health and well-being of our fellow citizens. And we can still get together in living rooms to pick a few tunes.

Be cautious and safe - especially around our frail and seniors..
    Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Haven't lost a gig yet, thank God. Music is the only way by which I make a living these days... this said...

The amount of confirmed coronavirus cases in Maine equals the number of toilet paper rolls that were available to purchase at my Hannaford supermarket when I stopped by. That would be 0.

Cut the sh!! before I lose mine, people, some of us gotta poop -- see what I did there?

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojocaster For This Useful Post:

Louise, so sorry to hear about your mother.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

38. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post:

Our weekly gig is suspended until further notice. We've kept our gigs scheduled beyond May 1, for now, but removed everything for the rest of March and April.

Blog Entries

My condolences on the passing of your mother.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

41. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Blog Entries

I have friends who are gigging musicians and it is affecting their livelihoods. One suggestion is to offer streaming house concerts and maybe have some interaction via Skype with the artists to give some of that back and forth feel. I know how to do live feeds on FB but I don't know how to stream that to my TV/Theater system for better sound. Does Youtube do live streaming? I can Chromecast that.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

43. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post: