Thread: F style Octave Mandolin--Anyone tried one

Smile F style Octave Mandolin--Anyone tried one

Wondered if anyone has tried one of the Far East Afanti brand Octave Mandolins. There is a youtube of someone unwrapping one of their mandocellos. It looks OK but any more feedback would be helpful.

It seems odd that there are so many F style Mandolins at all sorts of prices but lower end F style Octave mandolins are rare. I think Michael Kelly did them some time ago.

The Afanti ones do look a good bet but Ive lost count of the number of instruments which 'look good and that's where it ends'.

Just wondered if anyone has taken the plunge and bought one.

Default Re: F style Octave Mandolin--Anyone tried one

I just ordered one. Based on this forum a proper setup is going to be required when it arrives.

Default Re: F style Octave Mandolin--Anyone tried one

I’ve owned an outstanding F-Style Weber Diamondback Octave, signed by Bruce Weber, that was built to be an exact replica of Sierra Hull’s Weber Diamondback. It’s been an absolutely wonderful experience. I haven’t looked in some time, but I thought Weber was still making them with various finishes & features. Highly recommend. They’re excellent quality - and Sierra continues to play hers fairly often I believe, so that’s quite an endorsement.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004