Thread: Antique Bowl back Circa 1900

Default Antique Bowl back Circa 1900

My neighbor handed me her Grandmothers bowl back mandolin from the early 1900's
    I am attempting to locate any information that may be available.

Writing on the back of Head stock. E.M.C.O Academy Boston. Seams to be made solid and sturdy.

It seams granny played this instrument when she was a little girl around 1900.

I can post pictures this week.

Is there a bowl back guru out there anywhere?

Michael

Default Re: Antigue Bowl back Circa 1900

Pictures definitely help. Front, back, any labels in the sound hole, tailpiece, headstock. Thanks!

Attachment 184276Attachment 184277
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020970.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	573.3 KB 
ID:	184278  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020971.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	539.7 KB 
ID:	184280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020972.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	504.0 KB 
ID:	184281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020973.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	184282

There was a huge wave of mandolin mania that swept the world at the turn of the century. Schools and academies teaching mandolin- mail order lessons, you name it. I think your mandolin was made in Chicago- probably by Lyon & Healy. Those tuner units are seen on some of their mandolins from the late 1890s. I am sure somebody will be able to furnish more info.

This would be a mandolin that was made "for the trade" so that a school or teacher or retailer could sell it as their own brand. Probably built in Chicago. Most likely left the factory with no label and the school pressed the imprint on it when they got it. The number of staves on the back identify it as a student grade instrument. It's right around 1900, as Nick says a good possibility it was built by Lyon & Healy as they were a huge builder at the time. If you string it up use light gauge strings and if you're looking for a value many bowlbacks fail to sell weekly on eBay. The value is in the fact that it's a family heirloom. The scratch guard was probably tortoise shell or it's an early plastic called celluloid. The tortoise shell is an endangered species and the celluloid is highly flammable. A good luthier should be able to make you a new one out of a modern plastic that looks period correct. Hopefully Jim Garber or one of our other resident bowlback experts can pop up a catalog picture or description of a similar instrument.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Default Re: Antique Bowl back Circa 1900

I have a turn-of-the-century Lyon & Healy bowlback with the same, hinged tailpiece as your neighbor's grandmother's. Helps to confirm the IDs by Nick R and Mike Edgerton.