Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Silverangel owners

Default Attention Silverangel owners

After almost four years of ownership, I finally got around to stringing my Silverangel up with J75s, even though I moved to J 75s on my Arches a while ago, and even though I was aware that Ken Ratliff makes them with heavier strings in mind. It is like I’m playing a different instrument. The mandolin gained punch and the high strings came alive, especially in the upper registers.

Everything is a compromise. Some resonance is lost, and it’s a bit harder to play, but not excessively so. But the up side is a mandolin much better suited to bluegrass and loud enough to hang in jams. I can’t recall a string change being this dramatic. My SA has a redwood top.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Attention Silverangel owners

Isn't it great when an instrument you already have displays nice unexpected characteristics?

I'm surprised there would be that much volume difference between the J74's and J75's. It will be interesting if you can tolerate the heavier strings long-term. As you know, some folks go lighter than 74's as they get older. It will also be interesting to see if your impression of volume bears out at your next jam.

I was worried about the heavier J75's when I got my new Silverangel last fall, but after a day or two I stopped noticing the difference. I was already halfway to J75's because I had been using EXP74CM strings on my Eastman MD315 and those strings have the heavy E and A strings.

Even with J75's, my SA just didn't have much volume and there were some issues with weak trebles. A couple of weeks ago, as a last ditch effort to get some use out of this mandolin, I put on a new Cumberland Acoustic bridge and the difference was astonishing to me. Like a whole different instrument. I do plan to try it at the next jam and see if the guys can hear it any better than the last time I tried it (they said my MD315 cut through a lot better).
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

That's super interesting. I've been chicken to try J75s, although I know they're built for them, and the exaggerated arching of the top & back should support the greater tension just fine.

I will try them at my nest string change (just put a set of Mangan Monels on, which I like a ton). Thanks for the info, @Br1ck!

I've gone the opposite direction as I age. At sixty nine, my hands ache a lot. This tends to go away as I get warmed up. My D 35 I bought from Brian Kimsey came with .013s and I'm playing the heck out of them. But I don't give my hands a break either. Retired, I play three hours a day minimum. My carpal surgery has left a constant sore spot on my palm. I'm going to go down strings twanging, then play slide guitar and dobro.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    After almost four years of ownership, I finally got around to stringing my Silverangel up with J75s, even though I moved to J 75s on my Arches a while ago, and even though I was aware that Ken Ratliff makes them with heavier strings in mind. It is like I’m playing a different instrument. The mandolin gained punch and the high strings came alive, especially in the upper registers.

Everything is a compromise. Some resonance is lost, and it’s a bit harder to play, but not excessively so. But the up side is a mandolin much better suited to bluegrass and loud enough to hang in jams. I can’t recall a string change being this dramatic. My SA has a redwood top.
    I own two Silverangel F's and changed to Straight Up Strings mediums on both...I like 'em. Just my two cents worth...

I also own a D35 and use Straight Up Strings guitar lights on it...two more cents, I guess...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

8. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

bbcee 

I agree with you Br1ck. I tried the EJ75s after I found out that was what Ken had in mind. The mando loved them, but I couldn't adjust.

No matter what strings I put on it, my silverangel always sounds like a better instrument than I am player.

Not every day you get a four cent answer. Thanks.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I've gone the opposite direction as I age. At sixty nine, my hands ache a lot. This tends to go away as I get warmed up. My D 35 I bought from Brian Kimsey came with .013s and I'm playing the heck out of them. But I don't give my hands a break either. Retired, I play three hours a day minimum. My carpal surgery has left a constant sore spot on my palm. I'm going to go down strings twanging, then play slide guitar and dobro.
    Try acupuncture from a certified acupuncturist. My mother was cured of sciatic nerve pain, my wife of a pinched nerve that left her arm useless, I was cured of a problem of soreness that limited my motion after breaking my shoulder. I am going next month to have her do my hands, which are still suffering pain and stiffness from the same accident (motorcycle).
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

A year and a half with J75s did wonders for my Stiver F. Played her heavy and hard, and she really opened up. If I played in a band or in jams a lot, I'd probably use this string exclusively. Have switched to GHS A270s - and, while I feel that I've lost a little in the E course, the volume and punch are still there, with the added benefit of easier play and more rounded tone. I think I'll probably use the 75's every third string change just to change it up.

Well, good luck with that plan. I thought the same thing, but a couple of years on the dobro and my left hand would cramp badly on the bar. Stretching, strengthening, etc, did not bear any fruit, so, sold all the dobros and related stuff. Hopefully you won’t suffer the same fate. Guitar, mandolin, ukulele-not much of a problem. Concertina rapidly becoming my main instrument. Small, portable and no routine tuning!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

I am curious, when you put on heavier strings do you lower your action? The heavier the string the lower the action can be. I use 11-16-27-41 and can't play anything that plays hard. I have my action very low and can actually play the heavier strings longer and easier than the 9-32's on an old cant top that has higher action.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I am curious, when you put on heavier strings do you lower your action? The heavier the string the lower the action can be. I use 11-16-27-41 and can't play anything that plays hard. I have my action very low and can actually play the heavier strings longer and easier than the 9-32's on an old cant top that has higher action.
    I have always used 11.5 or 12 - 40 or 41 and have had higher actions. Recently after laying off for a bit I decided to lower my action to as low as it will go. Just last night my wife was commenting on how loud the instrument was. It sure plays easier and it sounds great and is loud. Sometimes you just get set in your head that it has to be a certain way. As of now I can't see any reason to play at the heights on the strings as I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by John Adrihan View Post
    I have always used 11.5 or 12 - 40 or 41 and have had higher actions. Recently after laying off for a bit I decided to lower my action to as low as it will go. Just last night my wife was commenting on how loud the instrument was. It sure plays easier and it sounds great and is loud. Sometimes you just get set in your head that it has to be a certain way. As of now I can't see any reason to play at the heights on the strings as I used to.
    How low did you go? I just changed my bridge on my Silverangel and last night was wondering if my action was too high. I lowered it to about 0.050 on G and 0.045 on E and was disappointed in the decrease in volume and tone. Going to raise it a bit tonight.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I received my SA from Ken about a year ago. Based on his recommendation I strung it with J75s and was blown away by the volume. It didn’t take me long to acclimate to the heavier strings.

My Eastman has plenty of response with J74s which were recommended by an Eastman rep. So maybe you get the best sound by going with the builder’s specs.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Ken gives me a hard time about not using 75s every time he sees my mandolins. My SA F5 has a tall bridge with a steep break angle at the bridge so it already feels "tight" to me. I should probably try J75s on my SA A style since it has a pretty standard bridge height with a lower angle on the strings there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brock View Post
    How low did you go? I just changed my bridge on my Silverangel and last night was wondering if my action was too high. I lowered it to about 0.050 on G and 0.045 on E and was disappointed in the decrease in volume and tone. Going to raise it a bit tonight.
    When you change height you also need to intonate the mandolin.

20. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Cobalt 

When you change height you also need to intonate the mandolin.
    I'll measure it tonight and let you know what the numbers are. I have not checked the intonation for a quite a bit, probably needs some adjustment.

My numbers are similar to Doug's, G-0.50 E-0.40

23. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

My SA Econo always sounded best with EJ-75s as well, but it really didn’t suffer much with 74s. I usually used whichever set I had on hand, which was based on which local shop I went to latest (one tended to have 74s, the other 75s). If I knew I was going to be playing it in church I’d make sure it had 75s on board, but that didn’t always happen, and I never had any complaints. Thankfully the heavier gauges didn’t bother me much.

I traded mine in on an OM after I bought my Kelley A, but I could have been happy with the SA forever had funds so dictated. His mandolins remains one of the best values in professional grade mandolins available, IMHO.

Thanks for mentioning string height. I haven't done anything to that, but it plays ok. I'm reluctant to go low because of buzz, and I'm convinced my 69 year old hearing curve can't pick up tone degradation in that zone between nicely clean and buzzing.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I too am 69, and need low action. I can play hard with no buzzing. A good fret level is important to get a low action.

I too am 69, and need low action. I can play hard with no buzzing. A good fret level is important to get a low action.
    I have learned to level and crown frets. Not perfect yet but improving. You are very correct. I have a luthier who will not do a setup without a fret level. I first thought he was nuts, but have come to realize he is correct. Want your instrument to play it's best? Level your frets.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

My numbers are similar to Doug's, G-0.50 E-0.40
    I am at .50 and .30ish and I am flat on intonation at the 12th.

30’ish? Wow, that’s low! Last night I moved my action on my Silverangel back up from 0.040” to 0.060” and my ears were much happier. It’s so interesting how wide a range there is in player preferences.

- - - Updated - - -

30’ish? Wow, that’s low! Last night I moved my action on my Silverangel back up from 0.040” to 0.060” and my ears were much happier. It’s so interesting how wide a range there is in player preferences.
    Doug Brock

That's the E the G is .50