Thread: What weight string comes stock on the Eastman MD505?

Default What weight string comes stock on the Eastman MD505?

Hi, I bought a new MD505 in November and have been playing it a lot so want to order some new strings. I see from the Eastman website that it comes from the factory with D'addorio J74 (I saw a post earlier when I searched that these are now called EJ74). On Amazon, the EJ74 come in light (10-38), medium (11-40), and medium/heavy (11.5-41), anybody have an idea which weight comes from the factory (the stock strings are fine for me, I'm a beginner). I'll also email Eastman but that generally takes a few days to get a response and I thought that someone here might know right off the bat.

Thanks. Rob
    2020 Sawchyn Beavertail
    1950's Stradolin

Default Re: What weight string comes stock on the Eastman MD505?

10-38 will reach pitch with less tension , that's just physics.. as a beginner I suggest they're easier to play.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My bad, I read Amazon's site wrong. When one navigates to the EJ74 page there are three choices as I mentioned above (light, medium, medium/heavy) but if you add the lights to your cart you can then see that it is identified as EJ73. So, in answer to my question the J74 strings (medium) are what came from the Eastman factory so I'll order a set of those and and a set of lights to try out as well.

Rob
    2020 Sawchyn Beavertail
    1950's Stradolin

Quote Originally Posted by robw95 View Post
    On Amazon, the EJ74 come in light (10-38), medium (11-40), and medium/heavy (11.5-41)
    Those are different product numbers:

EJ73 10-38 Light

EJ74 11-40 Medium

EJ75 11.5-41 Medium/Heavy

That is, EJ74 only comes in one grade, Medium 11-40.

Oops - I see you already figured this out.

Mediums are the norm...lights are for particular situations like a vintage, lightly built, no-truss-rod instrument, or a player who needs extra comfort or has a very light touch. But if you’re ordering strings, get more than one set of any given gauge. You need identical replacements in case of breakage. Better discounts for bulk buying too.