Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conference Call Jam Session !!

Default Re: Conference Call Jam Session !!

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Hi Charles, I was impressed with the video and the concept. Are you going to download? Dan
    It looks like I would need to plug in some how. I currently do not have that capability.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

To help put latency into realistic thought, generally if you say BBBB as fast as you can (which may take a little practice), one of those B's is roughly 1/4 second or 250ms, keeping in mind that 1ms is 1/1000 of a second.

At 120bpm, by definition the length of a 16th note is 125ms, an 1/8th note 250ms, a 1/4 note 500ms, a 1/2 note 1 second, a whole note 2 seconds.

A clean ping on a super efficient network line in today's technology from Los Angeles to Miami takes about 63ms. To London takes about 136ms. From NYC to Perth Australia (a close global antipode) is roughly 247ms.

With the home-computer and sound/video and ISP related network technologies we're using, it isn't at all unusual to double or possibly even triple the time of a clean ping, from an instrument on one side, to an ear on the other side.

Again, it's interesting to note that cellphone technology isn't much different, the main difference is that our minds are used to compensating for latency with person-to-person conversations, but we still do have conversational collisions. Generally if latency gets to or above 20ms, interactive music is too discretely detailed to synchronize.

More on this... How Much Latency Can Live Musicians Tolerate?
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I've been working on fiber optic data transmission for over 30 years. When I started the transmission rate was 1.544 Mb/s, our current product does 800Gb/s per wavelength. the speed of light is the source of lag regardless of the data rate. Financial companie spend huge amounts of money to minimize the lag, but they can't beat physics and neither can us poor musicians!
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

4. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

Blog Entries

It's worth mentioning that latency does occur on stage. The speed of sound is the limit there, even if a person is using remote IEMs (which incorporate radio waves). Especially if they aren't watching each other carefully, large bands on large stages can experience latency problems.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

One of our local session players invented a rather simple procedure for creating a virtual session. All you need is two phones and WhatsApp.
    I've made an instructional video, and I must say the idea is not so bad (for a banjo player ).

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

7. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I've joined in on a couple of Matt Flinner's Zoom jams and they are a fun escape from cabin fever. Everyone is muted but Matt and he sings and alternates playing breaks and rhythm for you. A great idea and fun in the current situation, but definitely not a complete replacement for playing with others.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85