Thread: Practicing Bach during the lockdown

Default Practicing Bach during the lockdown

Hello, greetings from Spain! We are on the second week of the Covid-19 lockdown, and with lots of time in my hands I'm practicing my arrangement of Bach's cello suites for mandolin. Here is a little recording of the famous first prelude. I play a wonderful Martin Style 4 (1907).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYeDpOiRn1M

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Xavier Garci For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Practicing Bach during the lockdown

Very nice!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

Beautiful.

I'm splitting my time between the Bach Prelude and a Vivaldi movement.

Anything to silence the TV.

6. The following members say thank you to BoxCarJoe for this post:

Blog Entries

Very nice Xavier. The dramatic lighting has great emphasis on the head stock. Wonderful.

I'm working on the Gigue from suite #3 in D major BWV 1068. It is part of our orchestral set of tunes cancelled by the 'lock down'. I'm playing it on violin and now on mandolin.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

8. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

Nice job. Are you familiar with the new recordings of all Bach cello suites by violinist Johnny Gandelsmann?
    He is incredible....the's the violinist for Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble and is also a member of Brooklyn Rider (string quartet).
    We are in lockdown here in New Jersey and I just picked up the mandolin for the first time in two years......still remember some of my Bach violin sonatas & partitas!
    Collings MF

10. The following members say thank you to Traveling Tracks for this post:

I recorded the Siciliano from the G minor Partita for Solo Violin about this time last year! I've been hunkering down during my time off right now and learning the B minor Sonata in its entirety, which has been kicking my butt.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Tracks View Post
    Nice job. Are you familiar with the new recordings of all Bach cello suites by violinist Johnny Gandelsmann?
    He is incredible....the's the violinist for Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble and is also a member of Brooklyn Rider (string quartet).
    We are in lockdown here in New Jersey and I just picked up the mandolin for the first time in two years......still remember some of my Bach violin sonatas & partitas!
    I hadn't heard that recording, I'm listening on Spotify right now and yes, he is absolutely amazing! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Very nice Xavier. The dramatic lighting has great emphasis on the head stock. Wonderful.

I'm working on the Gigue from suite #3 in D major BWV 1068. It is part of our orchestral set of tunes cancelled by the 'lock down'. I'm playing it on violin and now on mandolin.
    Thank you, I've played that suite with violin a few years ago, I love it!

15. The following members say thank you to Xavier Garci for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Howard View Post
    I recorded the Siciliano from the G minor Partita for Solo Violin about this time last year! I've been hunkering down during my time off right now and learning the B minor Sonata in its entirety, which has been kicking my butt.

Excellent job!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxCarJoe View Post
    Beautiful.

I'm splitting my time between the Bach Prelude and a Vivaldi movement.

Anything to silence the TV.

Anything is better than watching the tv now!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    Very nice!

thank you!

Blog Entries

Very nice, both of you.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Tracks View Post
    Brooklyn Rider, I knew I'd seen him somewhere. Right now my favorite is a guy named Sato. Check him out here.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Very nice playing all of you! All the vids are at least one of the few positive things of this whole situation.

Shunske Sato is great, I saw him last year in Bach's Matthäus-Passion (Matthew's Passion), he's something special. Plays a beautiful sounding baroque violin.

Quote Originally Posted by FPhil View Post
    Shunske Sato is great, I saw him last year in Bach's Matthäus-Passion (Matthew's Passion), he's something special. Plays a beautiful sounding baroque violin.
    Yes with a baroque bow. That must require a much different approach than a modern violin with modern bow.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Beautiful!

Nicely done! How long have you been working on it?
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Brooklyn Rider, I knew I'd seen him somewhere. Right now my favorite is a guy named Sato. Check him out here.

I confess, I was not familiar with Sato....but I am grateful for your recommendation. Beautiful playing, great recording and production. Those are some lights! ; )
    Collings MF

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Nicely done! How long have you been working on it?
    thank you! I've played this on viola, violin and guitar before, so in a way I've been working on it for 30 years Only recently I've been adapting all of Bach's cello suites for the mandolin, an enormous task but definitely worth the effort.

After selling my MT2V I didn't touch a mandolin for two years......but now I've got this cheap, old Morgan Monroe.....working on this Bach piece, super challenging.
    It's not perfect by any means, but this is where it's at. I didn't play mandolin for two years and at the beginning of this quarantine I broke my ankle in two places so I really am stuck at home. Therefore, I picked up this instrument....which is a very inexpensive entry level instrument and I'm just doing the best I can with what I've got access to at the moment.

Collings MF

28. The following members say thank you to Traveling Tracks for this post: