Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whatcha up to?

Default Re: Whatcha up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    That's gorgeous.
    What's the scale length, and what gauges are you using to string it?

(Been jonesing a Yanuziello electric mandola since I found out about his work)

Daniel
    15” scale. Not sure about the strings. I’ve not put the micrometer to them yet.

Jim, congrats on the Schwab!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I pulled my Line 6 Tone Port UX1 outta moth balls yesterday. Spent 3 hours updating drivers and trouble shooting the thing. Gave up in frustration. I just could not get any signal out of the thing.

Today I pulled my wife's old M-Audio Fasttrack Pro out of moth balls and tried that too. As it turns out Avid has stopped supporting it and the drivers don't work on my MacBook running OS X Mojave. (Though I understand there are tweaks and fixes for Windows 10)

<sigh>

So I got the Tone Port out one more time. Some visual info from the system preferences encouraged me to give it another go. An hour later I had sorted out all the settings. I can now record two tracks of audio to Garageband simultaneously.

So there will be better sound for my FB live events and I'll start writing and demoing songs on the mac. Woohoo!

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    I pulled my Line 6 Tone Port UX1 outta moth balls yesterday. Spent 3 hours updating drivers and trouble shooting the thing. Gave up in frustration. I just could not get any signal out of the thing.

Today I pulled my wife's old M-Audio Fasttrack Pro out of moth balls and tried that too. As it turns out Avid has stopped supporting it and the drivers don't work on my MacBook running OS X Mojave. (Though I understand there are tweaks and fixes for Windows 10)

<sigh>

So I got the Tone Port out one more time. Some visual info from the system preferences encouraged me to give it another go. An hour later I had sorted out all the settings. I can now record two tracks of audio to Garageband simultaneously.

So there will be better sound for my FB live events and I'll start writing and demoing songs on the mac. Woohoo!

Daniel
    You can try using an emulator. I have one that runs software that works on windows 95 or something like that. But not on Windows 10. It is like a computer within a computer. Maybe there’s something similar for Mac that runs an old version that is compatible.

5. The following members say thank you to sonic for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    You can try using an emulator. I have one that runs software that works on windows 95 or something like that. But not on Windows 10. It is like a computer within a computer. Maybe there’s something similar for Mac that runs an old version that is compatible.
    The problem I am having now is that the mic goes to channels 1 and 2 and the instrument input goes to channels 3 and 4, or vice versa. It seems to me that the browser is only picking up channels 1 and 2, and therefore whatever happens to be assigned to 3 and 4 gets lost.

I cannot get the system to allow the mic channel 1 only and the instrument to go to channel 2.

So now I'm looking at a Blue Snowball and/or a mixer that goes stereo out to USB.

Daniel

Sometimes I feel like we spend half the time trying to master the electronics and the other half practicing/playing. Gimme a tube amp any day.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

As a Shift Manager at a power plant, I'm essential. Turns out the electricity that lights your home, powers gas stations that fuel the trucks, powers hospitals and toilet paper factories is kinda important. So I'm working as much or more than ever. Very blessed to still have a paycheck.

But I can't get together with friends to jam, or go to festivals.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    As a Shift Manager at a power plant, I'm essential. Turns out the electricity that lights your home, powers gas stations that fuel the trucks, powers hospitals and toilet paper factories is kinda important. So I'm working as much or more than ever. Very blessed to still have a paycheck.

But I can't get together with friends to jam, or go to festivals.
    That sucks. But thanks for staying on the job. (I offer my thanks to the French guys who do the same!)

I'm on furlough until 21 April when my resignation is effective. Then I'm unemployed. And no jamming, gigging, or festivals.

This is part of the reason I do an FB live daily and get myself involved with mics, browsers, sampling rates, video cameras, etc. If you're going to do this for real, you gotta do more than plug in, turn on, and play (or practice). You gotta be a PR guy, a manager, an engineer, a producer, a record label admin secretary, etc etc.

Stay well!
    Daniel

Good luck with YOUR new normal, Daniel! Entrepreneurship, whether by choice or chance, is a tough slog. Once in it, the values and benefits can be well worth the efforts! Been "my own boss, chief cook and bottle washer for 40+ years and counseled many in that role. Wouldn't change a thing, today at 77. If I can help, let me know!
    Rush
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

11. The following members say thank you to Rush Burkhardt for this post: