Thread: Another CRAFTER mando (4 string cavaquinho mod)

Default Another CRAFTER mando (4 string cavaquinho mod)

Just picked up an old "NEW" crafter cavaquinho which is merely their mando with a cut down headstock and 4 strings. Nut and saddle still reflect where 8 strings go. It's acoustic electric and the factory strings appear to be all stainless. It's quite bright sounding and I am going to tune it linear gCEA. D'Addario recommends .030 for the C string. I would like to mellow it out a bit. I saw stainless flat wound strings that were described as "mellow." Thought I'd need bronze wound to get mellow. Any guidance re: mando strings for this critter? Planning on using chorus and flanger pedals with it.

Default Re: Another CRAFTER mando (4 string cavaquinho mod)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    Just picked up an old "NEW" crafter cavaquinho which is merely their mando with a cut down headstock and 4 strings. Nut and saddle still reflect where 8 strings go. It's acoustic electric and the factory strings appear to be all stainless. It's quite bright sounding and I am going to tune it linear gCEA. D'Addario recommends .030 for the C string. I would like to mellow it out a bit. I saw stainless flat wound strings that were described as "mellow." Thought I'd need bronze wound to get mellow. Any guidance re: mando strings for this critter? Planning on using chorus and flanger pedals with it.
    PS: Just tuned 3rd string to low C without problem, 2 to E and 1 to A. 4th string high G (sounds fine) but will install low g string for gcEA tuning.