Thread: Vous Et Mois for mando orchestra

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Default Vous Et Mois for mando orchestra

Hi everyone,

With time on my hands I’ve arranged the beautiful and languid ballad Vous Et Mois for five part mandolin orchestra: mandolin one and two, mandola, mandocello and bass or mandobass. I performed and recorded all the parts, and friends contributed additional mandolin, mandola and bass parts as well. I hope you enjoy it, I’m happy to share the arrangement with anyone who wants it, drop me a dm. Stay healthy folks.

https://soundcloud.com/miniguitar/vous-et-moi
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christian McKee For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vous Et Mois for mando orchestra

Awesome Christian!

I hope all of our Cafe friends and Jazz Forum readers and contributors will check out your great writing and playing. I associate the beautiful tune Vous et Mois (I think it means You and I?)with Django Reinhardt, who recorded it, more than once I think..I've also believed the mandolin is a perfect instrument for playing the jazz of the Django dialect. And of course the only thing better than a mandolin is two mandolins. And a mandola. And a mandocello. And a (mando)bass.
    Bravo Christian and sidemen. Dig this track cats.

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words, Don. You’re correct on the translation, too. I picked this up from swing gigs with people who play a lot of Django material, and really love the tension in the melody over the changes. This version is based (mostly) on the changes in the Django Facebook pdf that traverses the internet pretty widely.

With fewer gigs and rehearsals on my calendar at the moment, I’m hoping to do a few more tunes using this same general approach, hopefully they turn out well - and if they don’t nobody will ever hear about it

Christian

Excellent! I love this particular tune. Angelo DeBarre recently recorded it with Aurore Voilque on violin, just beautiful.