Thread: Thank you, Eastman

Blog Entries

Default Thank you, Eastman

On Saturday (three days ago) I unpacked a five year old Eastman mandola that I purchased used. Tuning it up, I noticed a problem with the bridge saddle intonation cuts. Saturday night I contacted Eastman via their website's "contact us" form, hoping they could help me find a replacement bridge or saddle to fit the existing bridge. I figured I may not hear back from them at all but at best it would be some weeks until someone responded.

This morning (Tuesday) there was a response waiting in my inbox when I checked my email. Basically saying there were some mandolas a few years ago that went out with incorrect saddle cuts; please send us name and address and we will mail you a new bridge.

Wow. I was fully prepared to either buy a bridge from Cumberland or maybe even try to carve a new saddle myself.

I am really impressed at the resolution of the problem, at the speed of the response, at the dedication to solve the problem given the current health crisis. Oh, and I do like the mandola, too!

Thank you, Eastman.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Thank you, Eastman

Good for Eastman. You may just be able to slip the new saddle onto the old base and save yourself from fitting the new bridge.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

4. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Cobalt 

Smile Re: Thank you, Eastman

That is absolutely brilliant service. Great to hear of a company not passing the buck to the retailer or anyone else. In this climate as well. Yes if the base is sitting perfectly at the minute, be great if your new top just goes on. In my box of mandolins spares I must have 30 tops, 30 bottoms and so many different top cambers, wheels, lengths between wheels etc. Good luck with that.

I'm one that doesn't think companys deserve credit for doing the right thing. This is however deserves props. Good story.

Blog Entries

Brand new bridge (& saddle) arrived today. Saddle will fit currently installed bridge, yay! All I have to do is cut the slots. Easy peasy.

Thank you again, Eastman.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Here’s another terrific Eastman story, Hank.
    A few years ago I bought a new Eastman bowlback (no longer being manufactured) from a music shop in New York. When I received the mandolin, I noticed some finish crazing in the top. I contacted Eastman’s rep and he offered to apply the full purchase price to any other Eastman stringed instrument with no shipping charges. Turns out they’d had a batch of those instruments show up with the same defect. Eastman even paid for the return shipping on the bowlback. I ended up being the proud owner of a new mandocello.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

10. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

its inspiring to hear such stories once in a while. mostly, one only hear about which companies treat their customers in the worst ways. its much more useful to learn which ones has great policies, than it is to hear about which ones has bad policies. that way, we know which ones to direct our custom to, instead of which ones to avoid. very useful info. thanks, people.

12. The following members say thank you to mislykketmusikant for this post:

Eastman is on a roll. The quality of their instruments is quite impressive. I purchased one of the new MD 505CC models from TMS . It sounds great and the fit and finish is first rate.
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

14. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

I emailed Eastman about a defective truss rod on my 2006 MD505; yesterday I received a brand new MD505CC as a warranty replacement.

16. The following members say thank you to hanknc for this post:

Blog Entries

Honkytonk Hank, and others, Great thread! It is so uplifting to hear stories of Eastman, or if it were another builder, who is so responsive and helpful. The fulfillment of a warranty as in Hanknc’s case is such a great account to see in this thread!

Three months ago I e-mailed Black and Decker Lawn Mowers about a faulty fuel tank cap on my new B and D mower . I e-mailed them several more times since. The cap loosens and falls off with the vibration of the machine EVERY TIME . Until the last time when it loosened , fell of and before I noticed I'd mowed over it and destroyed it. I'm STILL waiting for a replacement cap after 3 months . I should have bought the mower from Eastman .

19. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Three months ago I e-mailed Black and Decker Lawn Mowers about a faulty fuel tank cap on my new B and D mower . I e-mailed them several more times since. The cap loosens and falls off with the vibration of the machine EVERY TIME . Until the last time when it loosened , fell of and before I noticed I'd mowed over it and destroyed it. I'm STILL waiting for a replacement cap after 3 months . I should have bought the mower from Eastman .
    Are you aware that Eastman mowers only cut Blue Grass?

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phil-D For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-D View Post
    Are you aware that Eastman mowers only cut Blue Grass?
    That's the only kind of grass I have around the house

23. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

The tailpiece on my MDC 805 mandocello came apart while it was stored in the case; I understand this was a recurrent problem on some of the earlier 'cellos. I contacted the Eastman rep through my dealer, and he spent some time trying to get a new part shipped from China. A shipment came through, but was all guitar tailpieces. So the Eastman shop on the West Coast too a tailpiece off a MDC 805 in their inventory, and sent it to my dealer to install -- at no charge, of course.

The new tailpiece is better designed, and has the same ebony overlay that the old one had. I am very pleased with the customer service responsiveness shown by the Eastman US rep.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I ordered an Eastman years ago from a MC partner, and it arrived in great shape with no broken parts, no finish issues, and no problems. I never reached out to them, and they never got back to me. Eastman didn't help me in any way afterwards.

Guess my story is less interesting than most of yours, but it's another good sign that they do a good job.