Thread: Peghead Nation vs OAIM for ITM Lessons

Default Peghead Nation vs OAIM for ITM Lessons

I searched for this but came up empty....

I've been unsuccessfully working off and on trying to delve into ITM on the mandolin. I think I need some pointers on picking and tempo, etc.

For those of you who have used either or both of the subject online resources, what has been your experiences?

Thanks!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Default Re: Peghead Nation vs OAIM for ITM Lessons

i really like Compton's and Joe's Walsh's Peghead courses and have subscribed since day one. I have used other online interactive courses where you can send a video for feedback and did not like them as well. i think your personal desire for the type of music being focused on and your connection to the teacher's style makes a big difference. i also try to make it Compton's Monroe camp every year and several jams as there isn't a substitute for interacting with others in order to learn. I am not sure what the acronyms you are listing actually refer to though - so cant comment on them.

OAIM=Online Academy of Irish Music

ITM=Irish Traditional Music
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

4. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Marla Fibish's Peghead Nation classes are great!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

6. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

If you're just looking for Mandolin I think Marla's Peghead Nation would be perfect.

If you're a multi-instrumentalist and/or singer OAIM is a tremendous value because you get all the courses for one price.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I would suggest getting lessons with a real person in your area, playing this music with other people is what really gets you feeling the lilt, if such a person isn't available in your area, I seen that Declan Corey is offering offering Skype lessons, He's a great Mandolin player and would probably have some constructive advice to get you going. As far as the services you mentioned I've got no experience with them. Best of luck finding the right fit

On the topic of Skype lessons I'm fairly sure Marla gives them as well...
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

10. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Marla Fibish's Peghead Nation classes are great!
    Here here for Jill's comment about Marla and frankly everybody else I've sampled at Peghead.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Marla is a wonderful musician and a very enthusiastic teacher. She's obviously has put a lot of thought into getting this style, and her unique voice in it, across to us.

I haven't tried OAIM yet, but I'm going to sign up to try the whistle lessons.

Both have free month-long trials going right now, and that should make it easy to decide.

I have no experience with Peghead, but if you have some basic chops on the mandolin, you probably couldn't do better than lessons with Marla Fibish. Having said that, the OAIM has some great features. A tune library with printable notation (not tab) and sound files, backing tracks with variable speeds with or without melody or accompaniment. They also have some nice video playalong sessions. You can also check out lessons on flute, fiddle, pipes and get some insights into ornamentation. The mandolin lessons specifically were, in my opinion, rudimentary but okay.

Taking advantage of the trials would be your best bet to see what suits your needs. Good luck.
    Steve

Has anyone had any experience with the OAIM online Irish flute lessons?

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve signed up for the trial on OAIM and will do the same on peghead in a few days. No flute experience.....
    Thanks

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please let us know how it goes! I'd be interested in the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    I have. I went through the basic set right up until I discovered that the flute annoys my hearing and then realized that I could play the same tunes on the mandolin(yes, I can be very slow sometimes). The lessons are well arranged and progress from holding the flute and making an embouchure to playing your first tunes. I liked them and would have continued. The mandolin lessons are constructed in much the same manner with the emphasis also being placed on watch/listen and learn rather than just going by tabs. I think they're offering a 14 day free trial at the moment, so I would give it a try and see what you think.

JB

18. The following members say thank you to JBMN for this post:

Yes, I signed up for a few months just for the flute lessons. I already had the basics down, so I skipped to the more advanced lessons from Kevin Crawford and Niall Keegan. Those were still a bit above my level, but I still learned some useful things.

There is something of a gap in the OAM flute lessons at the intermediate level, but the entry-level lessons look pretty good, from what I saw of them. A teacher is better than canned lessons like this, and some very good Irish flute players teach by Skype. That said, these OAIM lessons are better than nothing when you're first starting out, if you don't have a teacher (I didn't).

Speaking of flute instruction, I also highly recommend Conal O'Grada's "An Fheadog Mhor" Book and CD. I bought all the Irish flute tutors and found Conal's tutor the most useful one for study and practice.

20. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Thanks for the feedback!
    I’m presently searching for a local teacher in Ottawa! I find value having personal feedback and interaction with a fellow human!
    How was the learning curve when you began playing the Irish flute?

Thanks for the feedback!
    I’m presently searching for a local teacher in Ottawa! I find value having personal feedback and interaction with a fellow human!
    How was the learning curve when you began playing the Irish flute?
    Even if you can't find a teacher specifically for Irish style flute, they should be a big help in embouchure development and breathing.

My own self-taught progress went something like this: Six months to get consistent notes in both octaves, about a year before I was completely comfortable with the flute hold. About two years before the embouchure really came together and that's still a lifelong process. Three years in, I was still having trouble figuring out where to breathe in a tune. And now four years in, I feel like I can actually play the darned thing. There are still good days and bad days.

Don't be discouraged -- we all learn at different rates and put different amounts of effort in. The flute is an amazing instrument for ITM and a great complement to mandolin. They're two different windows into the music.

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m getting into this in my senior years......

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m getting into this in my senior years......
    I started on flute as a rank beginner in my early 60's, now 67. You'll do fine, just keep at it.

Blog Entries

Mike, have you tried one or both yet? I'm facing the same decision as you.

It's not a question of price. Both look like good value. My problem is that I only have time for one course. And that's a maximum!

Another fan of Marla on Peghead. In my opinion she captures the nuance of rhythm better than anyone else teaching Irish mandolin, maybe ever, excepting maybe Mick M. and Seamus E. ini the day, with their mad triplets. But they never did video recorded lessons that I know about. The bite sized pieces of her lessons are most digestible.The tunes are an excellent pragmatic mix. Extremely well worth it, as are the others I have tried on Peghead.. I have been in search of the ideal teaching (in lieu of any actual talent or you know, practice) for many decades, for ITM mando and for this guy, Marla is it. Now I have no excuses any more and just have to practice.

Another plug for Marla's lessons! I've just started back up on Peghead after a break, and decided to try my hand at Marla's class. I've been working through things for the past few weeks, and she's a great teacher.

Just another thought on the Peghead courses--pretty much all of them will let you start a subscription with your first month free if you 'find' the promo code on the course page and type it in when checking out.

https://pegheadnation.com/string-sch...rish-mandolin/

Seems like a win-win to subscribe and cancel after the first month if you aren't getting what you need out of the courses.
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

Blog Entries

You know what, in the end I'll probably try both. In the meantime, I've heeded the suggestion made elsewhere on the forum and contacted Marla directly for a handful of Skype lessons. It's very exciting, and I'm really looking forward to it.

After that, I'll decide whether to do Peghead or the OAIM next. I like the look of both. They deserve our custom.