Thread: Book for learning Classical Mandolin

Default Book for learning Classical Mandolin

By classical, I mean Vivaldi, Bach et al as well as Italian folk. Most books I came across seem to be dealing with the bluegrass/jazz side of things.

2. The following members say thank you to Chessmaster7 for this post:

Default Re: Book for learning Classical Mandolin

Easily available and excellent:

August Watters: Exploring Classical Mandolin

Marilynn Mair: The Complete Mandolinist

There are a lot of older method books for mandolin. This is an older method revamped and reissued a few years ago in two volumes: Calace Mandolin Method.

IMSLP.org is a good source for public domain free downloads of methods and musical pieces. (I linked here the google search for mandolin method.)

The Bickford Method Volume 1 is available for free download here. The other four volumes are available for a price here along with a few other mandolin books.

Those should keep you busy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I shall check these out.

I am sure that others will add more. Oh, actually for both classical and Italian, check out any of my friend Carlo Aonzo’s books. Not method books per se but excellent selections of music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

If you have a local Mandolin Orchestra, JOIN! I had never played anything remotely classical until getting involved with a mandolin orchestra. My experience led me to many fine mandolinists that were very good at reading and playing very differently from my previous musical experiences. While never becoming as adept at playing classical and reading as many (perhaps most or all) in the orchestra, I did learn alot and my reading greatly improved.
    If you do join a mandolin orchestra and if your experience in doing so mimics mine, you will meet many nice & helpful people that love the mandolin. Many of these people you may not ever have the opportunity to pick with at local music fests or jams.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

I also recommend all the books mentioned so far.

https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Munier,_Carlo

Please don't overlook the Munier books.

http://www.mandoisland.de/eng_index.html

"In the following table you will find many historical mandolin methods which are generally not available today. "

It's a good list, check them out.

Don't limit yourself to mandolin books. Violin books work just fine, although some pieces may need a bow, most don't. I have played the melodies of most of the Anna Magdelena Bach book, which is for piano. Almost any good tune can work.

11. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

As a beginner I whole heartedly recommend August Watters: Exploring Classical Mandolin. It is excellent in every way - very good at giving a “ballpark picture” of classical mandolin techniques - excellent selection of exercises, and I very much like Mr. Watters arrangements of some selections. On the other hand I did not find Marilyn Mair’s book nearly as practical. I think that everything about mandolins is extremely individual - so try as many books as you can afford ��

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

13. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

I think the Calace books edited by Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenburg are a great resource for specific technique work. Elderly has them.

https://www.elderly.com/products/the...nglish-edition

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post: